iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What color is your tape measure

Started by Novascotiamill, August 01, 2018, 02:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

Black at the mill and orange in the shop. I lose or break them regularly so when on sale I get a couple to have extra when I can't find one
2006 LT 40 HD

DDW_OR

Quote from: Novascotiamill on August 01, 2018, 02:41:39 PM
I bought a couple of arange lufkin 25ft tape measures the other day on sale for 6 bucks. Thought these would not becoome part of the woodwork. i was wrong they just happen to be the same color as my tractor,saw,safety helmet etc etc. Everytime I set one down the tape measure gremlin hides it. Think I need a beeper on it.
how about a GPS tracking tag
:D
"let the machines do the work"

Lawg Dawg

Tape measure holder...harbor freight. Cost was 0$ 8)

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Bruno of NH

I have used the Tajima tapes for years they last longer than a Stanley. 
They are in a rubber case and I like the white back ground.
I have no use for all the fat tapes.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

I don't like carrying a 2 pound tape on my belt, so I generally stick to the 16' ones as they are lighter to carry around, and it serves my needs 90% of the time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

I buy cheap plastic "throwaway" tapes to lend to the customers. About half of them go for walk before they break.

My working tape is a 25 foot "Silver" Stanley. It's in feet & inches on both sides, and it stays in my sawmill "operating toolbox" when I'm not sawing. When I'm running the mill the belt clip holds it to the open control panel cover. Nobody borrows the sawmill tape. Ever. Not even me :D.

I have a Spencer 20 metre (66') tape in a 75' housing (it's called a stinger) for measuring logs. Metric on one side because logs in BC are sold by the cubic metre, feet on the other side because I buck the logs in feet.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

caveman

In SawyerTed's picture of the tape and the logger's tape, the logger's tape should be in 1/10's of feet while the tape is in inches (10.5 is 10' 6" on the logger's tape).  I was just pointing this our for those who are new to using a logger's tape.

In the shop I typically use Stanley tape measures.  I have a Klein that I really like but it was used so much that the paint has warn off of it.  Around the mill we have several of the orange and black Harbor Fright  :D tapes.  They get sappy and the side clips on them are slightly better than useless but they are free and do the job - until they don't.
Caveman

Chuck White

On the sawmill, I use a 25 foot Cam Pro.

Rubber coated plastic case!

Around the house and garage, generally 16 footers, mixed brands!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Quote from: caveman on August 06, 2018, 06:30:17 AM
In SawyerTed's picture of the tape and the logger's tape, the logger's tape should be in 1/10's of feet while the tape is in inches (10.5 is 10' 6" on the logger's tape).  I was just pointing this our for those who are new to using a logger's tape.

In the shop I typically use Stanley tape measures.  I have a Klein that I really like but it was used so much that the paint has warn off of it.  Around the mill we have several of the orange and black Harbor Fright  :D tapes.  They get sappy and the side clips on them are slightly better than useless but they are free and do the job - until they don't.
Spencer's makes the logging tapes that are typical for the industry - they are in 8ths.  Check Bailey's and look at Spencer's tapes.  I have surveyor's tapes in 10ths and half foot at .5.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

I checked Spencer's website and they do have a lot of tapes.  The one that I have been using for years is divided into 1/10's of a foot and 1/10's of an inch and on the other side it is marked to measure diameter (one inch every 3.14").  It is what I have become used to and I would hate to have to change now.  I use it for measuring diameter quite a bit in addition to setting up slope courses for FFA land judging practices and pacing practices for the FFA forestry teams.  

Caveman

SawyerTed

Looks like a great investigation for the Tool ID Team to compare logger's tapes and surveyor/engineer's tapes.  It would be interesting to see what the students think.  I can see how the 10ths would be useful at times but since lumber is usually in 8ths it works for me best.

I'm an old Voc. Ed./CTE guy.  I always enjoyed the FFA events I was invited to attend as a Local CTE Director.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 02, 2018, 02:19:31 PM
  I now have the Stanley 35' tape for most of my use with a cheap plastic 25' one in my truck box in case I forget one. I had a Kobalt from Lowes and every time I'd break it they'd swap with no questions asked but now they don't make them any more so they gave me the Stanley last time. Supposedly they offer the same warranty of the Stanley. We will see the next time I break it.
That's interesting. The lifetime warranty used to come from Stanley, I've traded in quite a few over the years. Lowes said that Stanley no longer honored it and refused to trade the last time I took one back a year or two ago. They said at the time their Kobalt did have the same lifetime warranty. The tape isn't very good so I declined but am down to my last couple stanleys... I hope they do switch back to lifetiming those. The left pocket edge of most of my jeans is badly frayed, that's where my tape lives.

Years age a new coworker borrowed my tape and returned with it a few minutes later in a double handful with no piece longer than about an inch, the case beat and gnawed. "What in the world happened?" He had tried to adjust the fence on a running tablesaw. Safety meeting! :D

terrifictimbersllc

Look what the postman just brought.  FF impulse buying.  :) :)

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

I can't imagine you will ever use all those!  :D :D  I need a couple more myself.

terrifictimbersllc

Stuff happens. Amazon prime $9 each incl. shipping.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Lawg Dawg

I like to use a FAT MAX for FAT pine logs

And that 16' one don't weight you down
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WV Sawmiller

Well, I finally went back to the store where I got my tape and took my broken FatMax 30' back to exchange. it was not a pleasant experience. I had bought a Kobalt with a lifetime warranty and it broke so I took it back. They no longer made or stocked Kobalt tapes so they gave me the Stanley.  I asked the customer rep if the same warranty continued and she said yes. A couple days ago the rewind button fell out. Today the tool room guy said the warranty was voided when I swapped for the Stanley. We went a few rounds and they gave me another one.

The worst part was when the tool room guy said not to listen to the customer service reps but go to the department head. I told him the customer service guy represents the company and they would always be the guy I went to. The Customer rep was standing there and did not seem to appreciate the man's comment which I still think were out of line.

Anyway I am back in the measuring business for a while.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

I use a variety of tapes around the farm.  Inventory room has chrome Stanley's, my lead has a 35' Fat Max, and I prefer the 35' Milwaukee.  The off-bearer has a 25' Milwaukee.

I don't recall ever breaking a tape measure myself, buy my employees sure do.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Mine sometime break, but I don't break them.  They bend so many time that metal fatigue gets them.  I only use 1ΒΌ" wide tapes with this type of end:

Top view.

Side view.  Notice that there are "wings" to catch the log/lumber no matter which way the tape is turned.  Also they are quite large and aren't prone to slip loose.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Mr scsmith42
This summer my young helper broke 4 nice tapes and one out of my woodworking shop that I told him was off limits.
The shop tape ment a lot to me my Pepere' gave it to me when I was 13 years old. >:(
He no longer works with me he lost or misplaced half my mechanics chest.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!