iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

busted 290

Started by woodsteach, March 21, 2006, 08:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I need your help please.

I had my 290 in my grapple bucket and the rear handle (where the throttle is) was hanging over the side of the bucket and wham! I hit a tree with the handle and now.... no more handle.

How hard is it to replace and where do I find one outside of my local ($$$) dealer.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

sawguy21

OOOPS :D The MS310 and MS390 should have the same handle. Does the dealer keep any used parts? That is a popular saw, somebody should have one with a cooked cylinder and piston.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Alta

Get your handle used on ebay - you'll probly spend aroundd 30 - 40 bux as opposer to $130 at the dealer (check dealer priciing first so you know what you are working with). Its a fairly involved job but not difficult and you'll get to know your saw better. Wait to disassemble it until you get your new handle so you dont have to remember how to put it back together. Also you will likely end up with a bunch of spare parts as your handle will likely have other stuff still on it.  Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-029-039-MS310-MS290-HANDLE-ASSY-GREAT-COND_W0QQitemZ7752743562QQcategoryZ20538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .

Also ive purchased psrts from that guy with no problems, but anyone with good feedback will do.

This one also looks good as it has spare stuff and the throttle assemply is still together but remember to check dealer pricing first:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MS290-310-390-Stihl-Throttle-Handle-Shroud-029-039_W0QQitemZ7748374080QQcategoryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have fun!

RT

woodsteach

Thanks guys,  if it is fairly simple I'll get one and give it a go!

Alta thanks for the ebay links that sounds better than the $130 at a dealer.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!