iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on shotguns?

Started by Scott, August 15, 2006, 09:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I was looking at my guns this last week and some of the nicest shooting ones must be 40 years old and really too much memories to abuse in the blinds but my mossberg 12 gauge pump costed 200$ new and my 10 gauge costed $600new , the only thing the 10 gauge is good for as it is very heavy and clumsy is for knocking geese down and I then use 00 buckshot .   That mossberg is so light it has fiberglass parts so that why it kicks so DanG hard . 

My dad shot so many ducks in his younger days that he ended up at the mayo clinic with a benign tumor the size of a grapefruit on his armpit so chose something that dont kick like a mule .

I bet we can all remember pulling the trigger on our first shotgun  :o
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I asked my dad exactly what caused him to have a grapefruit size tumor under his arm , what did the doctors confirm at the mayo clinic was the cause .

The injury was caused by the shooting of 3 shotgun shells through a 10 guage lightweight cheap old double barrel side by side shotgun, one shell at a time , black and blue injury to the skin soon followed within hours and 3 months later it was surgery time .   He said the gun kicked so hard it was painful .

Just thought that might help a decision somewhere for recoil .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Scott

Thanks for all the input guys  8). My Godfather is giving me a pump action 12 guage that I think is either a mossberg or a remington.
  I went to my local sporting store and I guess they can't even get the Stoeger that I wanted here. Any of you fellow canucks have expirience with buying shotguns in the states and how to bring them across the boarder?

urbanlumberinc

The wifey got me a Beretta autoloader last year for Christmas.  It's been my favorite shotgun ever since.  More that anything I think it just boils down to having a shotgun that fits me right.   8)
only 31 days till duck season
Blue Grouse opens tomorow though

SwampDonkey

Don't need no shotgun for blue grouse, all ya need is a heavy stick. THONK! ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

urbanlumberinc

Yeah, they can be a bit dumb at times.  We hunt em in a spot that's got alot of heavy cover and downed trees so they'll flush pretty good.

SwampDonkey

:D :D I remember a couple years ago marking out buncher trails and the woods were taken over (I thought) by spruce grouse. They're even dumber than blue grouse. I found myself shooing them away from my compass lines and laughing about it. I think it was the same dang bunch of grouse just skipping around over a few meters when flushed. I'de never harm the stupid things and when we used to hunt grouse we never would kill one, just ruffies. I don't like the taste of black spruce needles.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

urbanlumberinc

MMMMMMM.   Forest Chickens smiley_turkey_dancing

jon12345

Spruce grouse are endangered here, we got ruffed grouse, some hungarian partridge I think, and ringnecks.  I use my shotguns for turkeys and some areas where rifles aren't allowed for deer.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Blake22

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on August 16, 2006, 12:37:10 AM
I have shot alot of shotguns and the nicest I have ever shot is a Browning Citori which is the over/under style , it was 12 gauge but was a dream to shoot because laying the sights on a flying bird with that over/under combo really seemed to draw your eye in on the sight . It was my cousins gun and he let me try it and its safe for going to shooting contest like trap and skeet because everyone walks around with the gun broken open until its your turn to step up to the plate . Only 2 shells but I could drop more ducks that day than the semi automatics that had 3 shells .  I bet a over/under 410 would be nice too .

Good luck Scott and happy hunting .  I wonder how the man Dick Cheney shot is doing now?
I couldn't agree more, I have a citori that I bought almost 20 years ago and it's been all that I thought it would be. I saved up for 2 years before I had enough to buy one. I've taken better care of that gun than anything else I've ever owned. Whatever you buy take good care of it and it will take good care of you. Good luck hunting. That goes for everyone.
Blake

Thank You Sponsors!