iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good grammar

Started by rjwoelk, January 13, 2019, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

This thread has no rails.
It was started by a grouchy old truck driver in Sakatchewan.
He was venting about self centred millennials, or "load ladies" - which is polite and grammatically correct way to say very bad things. . . . and keep you out of the woodshed.
Then to topic went to grits, and food, and glaciated Tundra, and kews.
Which is all fair game in any thread.
Really, thread drift is kinda expected - which is bad grammar.
See what we mean?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Quote from: samandothers on January 14, 2019, 12:12:21 PMAlan, I was with ya until this point. In my learnin here in the south we always put others first! So, 'Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?'
This is the English Grammar that I was taught. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

This whole topic is off the rail.  Well you are right Andries. It started by a gumpy trucker who has been laughing ever since. I truly feel better. But I ant going to that place were they build steel structures any more. Then I will not need to get grumpy again. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Andries

rj - if you're ever passing through Winnipeg, drop in for a meal. 
. . . and I stand corrected. You're not a grumpy old trucker.
You're a trucker thats three years younger than me!  :)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

Accents hard to understand?
Naw, I had a one sided conversation with Meadows Miller when he was at the pig roast a couple of years ago.
Couldnt understand much just nodded politely.
In early 1959 after forestry school I stayed in a rooming house in Weldon NC run by an elderly gentleman and I do mean gentleman, named Eugene Daniels.
Very hard to understand 
Then I went to the local diner run by a Greek fellow who asked if I wanted greets with my eggs.
A wonderful education on dialect for this naive northern boy.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

He could not help it if you talked funny.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 15, 2019, 07:42:15 PM
Moody,

I stated parts of New York. You are absolutely right about Upstate New York. I think y'all should secede from the rest of the state. Actually there are some nice people in and around NYC but I will testify all the folks in the upper part of the state that I ever met were real fine folks. If they did not have that funny accent I would swear they were Southerners. I bet they actually like grits but they may not be able to admit it for fear of city spies visiting the area.
I wish Cuomo would draw the line down the center of I-90 and then there would be a North New York and a South New York, that would eliminate a lot of OUR problems.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moodnacreek

Quote from: Southside logger on January 15, 2019, 08:02:43 PM
I see y'all still fixin to git to the store.  I am gonna milk the kews.   ;D
It ain't fixin no more, it's finnin!

moodnacreek

Chuck, herd the latest? Como wants to legalize marijuana but make it illegal to GROW IT!

Chuck White

Yeh, It has been all over the news lately!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

All I know I have asked several times to put somebody on a customer service line who I can understand.  Some millennial females I totally don't have a clue what they saying.  Recently I had to ask a cashier three time how much I owed. I could hear her fine, just couldn't comprehend it. I'm sure the problem lies with me.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Andries

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 16, 2019, 08:28:51 PM
Chuck, herd the latest? Como wants to legalize marijuana but make it illegal to GROW IT!
It's been that way for a few months now up here.
Hasn't been any noticeable change in people's behaviour - and hasn't improved any bodies grammar either . . . 😆
Is Coumo (Como) an under cover Canadian?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Can't really say what he is Andries, this is a family oriented Forum!

Just let your imagination go with it and you can figure out what most of the locals think of him!

When you get to the most populated areas it's viewed differently, and that's where he gets the votes that keep him in office!

'Nuff said!  ::)

SawyerTed

I spent time in Seattle back in the early 1980's.  A lot of folks were enthralled by my southern drawl.  Somehow I made a small fortune by collecting a dollar just to say "Y'all"!  And they thought I was "slow".   :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Andries

Quote from: slider on January 15, 2019, 07:00:59 AM
Andries it is always good to see you and your wife at the project each year. I had no idea we were being charmed. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag we will be on guard.
@slider; see what can happen when a Southerner goes North?
@SawyerTed calls it "enthralled", but really, he was laying on the charm.
His grammar got him the gold.  :D ;)
Now, you and Miss Vicky, you two are a superb example of Southern Charm.
Looking forward to this years 'Project'.
:)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!