iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic log loader on a Belsaw

Started by jeep534, December 22, 2015, 06:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeep534

I have worn out the search feature  Thinking about putting a hydraulic log loader on a belsaw mill. Like the ones that are on the band mills  looking for ideas.

Happy Hunting
archie

dustyhat

I can see this in my head already but im just not good at explaining it. but i would go with the lift arm system you are thinking of . if you have got a tractor with hyd or a power unit to put a pump on your already on your way. i probly would not mount my lift frame on the sawmill frame just in case you got a big log on it might torque the saw out of whack . good luck . will like to see this build along.

Ron Wenrich

You could go with a live log deck with a stop and loader type of system.  I don't know how much you saw, but it is pretty much a labor saver.  Even a regular log deck made from poles will allow you to stock about a dozen logs on it and you can roll them onto the carriage through the use of bunks.  If you have movable bunks, then you will be able to move them out of your way when you are sawing.  You may have to put a piece of angle on your carriage that intersects with a piece on your track to keep the carriage from being knocked off the tracks if you have a big log.  Search log deck and you will probably get more hits. 

I don't think the lift system would be all that good for a Belsaw.  Those are mounted to a stationary carriage. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Babylon519

Like Ron said, the one I built this year is detached from the mill, can hold several logs, and uses a steel 'bridge' to roll logs onto the sled. The bridge lifts up out of the way for easy walking around the mill or, when the sled's out of the way, it swings down. Worked great. 'Course, I still have the grapple on my loader to get the logs up to the deck. - Jason

Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

jeep534

I do not want to have to lift the logs. just push or drag them up and lift them with the loader arms like a bandmill  Shurley someone has already done this.

archie

Cutting Edge

Quote from: jeep534 on December 25, 2015, 01:43:39 PM

Shurley someone has already done this.

Archie,

The YT link shows a very simple and effective lift system.  IMO, this style would be simpler to construct and could be mounted directly to the supports under the track.  With is lifting in the vertical plane, there would be little to no chance of the log rolling onto the carriage, or worse yet, gaining momentum and knocking it off track.

This could be powered by hydraulics, or even a winch with the right leverage and reduction via add'l sheaves.

Another benefit would be be you could mount hinged 45 deg. incline wedges right onto the lift arms for turning the log against.

Clear as mud probably, but maybe it will help.

They show the lift working at right at about 20 sec. into the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfbh7Vm8gro

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Ron Wenrich

You'll have a lot less dirt and debris on your logs if you lift them. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

york

Jeep,is this mill on a wood frame? If it is,how are you going to keep this mill in alignment? If it is an all steel track way,then maybe you could get away with a side loader.....Sounds like you could use an FEL.....
Albert

loggah

Heres some pictures of the setup i use,it works pretty well,but you still have to load a log brow. I use old grader cutting edges with bolt holes in them,i can swing them back and forth,and the holes are handy to stick the peavey pike in to slide the cants back on the carriage.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

jeep534

something seems to be off with the dates on the thread also I have not been getting notifications on post's for some reason

Cutting edge; that is exactly what I am wanting to accomplish. I do not want to build a log deck, possibly lay a couple of pieces of steel or T-rail on the ground  to get the logs slightly off the ground so they will roll easier. also put a couple of rollers that flip up on the arms to turn the logs .  ( I can use the hydraulic flow control to keep the momentum down on the lift arms)   The end result is I want it movable so no log  deck. I plan to use a power unit to run the mill with t PTO shaft and use Hydraulic feed so there will be hydraulics for the lift.
P.S.where are you in WV 
happy hunting
archie

jeep534

Dieseltim

Thanks Archie. I'm still working out the details on my m14 that I'm rebuilding. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to load the logs.This looks like a good idea.

I was thinking about building an overhead I beam crane to off load from the truck or trailer to the log deck. But, to get from the deck onto the carriage I haven't worked out which idea to go with yet.

paul case

One of those would double as a log turner real well.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Gearbox

There are a lot of good ideas on here . let me put this out here . you want to handle logs with a side loader that will slow you down . that Bell Saw mill with decent power will saw a 20 inch log in less than 10 min that's 6 logs an hour . a skid way will hold 20 logs . With a crew of 2 or 3 they will be waiting on the hyd lift to do its thing . Just tossing this out there that a circle mill is a fast way to produce lumber .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

jeep534

Quote from: Gearbox on January 01, 2017, 06:56:17 PM
There are a lot of good ideas on here . let me put this out here . you want to handle logs with a side loader that will slow you down . that Bell Saw mill with decent power will saw a 20 inch log in less than 10 min that's 6 logs an hour . a skid way will hold 20 logs . With a crew of 2 or 3 they will be waiting on the hyd lift to do its thing . Just tossing this out there that a circle mill is a fast way to produce lumber .
you have a valid point however,  i am setting this up so I can saw by myself or maybe with a helper sometimes.
setting up similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3c7FCqCpPQ  boards drop onto cross ties to clear the blade.
thank You
archie

Thank You Sponsors!