iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeling Ambitious

Started by ncsawyer, January 03, 2017, 02:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

We have a new baby coming this week (our 4th age 4 and under  ;D) and I am going to have to take a week or so off from my day job and a couple weekends off of sawing to help out.  So the past few days I have been trying to get caught up with the mill, at least get the logs done that people have dropped off.  That way when I get back to sawing, I can focus on all my mobile customers. 

A couple nights last week I stayed up til midnight sawing lumber (I am sure my neighbors were thrilled).  I sawed all day Saturday and all day today, in the rain, but I was under my shelter, so I managed to stay dry.  The Saturday job was big white oak and hickory live edge slabs.  They were tough on blades.  I think I ran through about 1 every hour on average.  That put a large dent in my sharp blade supply.

I got all my lumber sawed here at the house, so tonight I went out to the building and boxed up 65 blades to send off to get sharpened tomorrow. They should be back by the time Mama and the new baby let me get back out to the mill, and I can worry about sawing instead of running short on blades!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

fishfighter

Well, congrats on the new off loader. :D

Czech_Made

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

Congrats.
So you were feeling ambitious. Any feeling perforated?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brandon1986

Congrats on the little one, "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:4-5A. 
As someone who wakes up for work at 0240 I either would not have shared with your ambition and been cussin ya, or being as I would most likely know any of my neighbors who run a mill I would have gotten over there and helped you get done before 9 so I could go to bed in peace :-D. 

alanh

4 kids under 4? ......ambitious indeed!

ncsawyer

Quote from: alanh on January 03, 2017, 12:14:48 PM
4 kids under 4? ......ambitious indeed!

It helps when some of them come two at the time.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Congrats on the new baby, 4 workers, thats gonna be nice to have in a few years. 

And good job on hitting the sawmill hard. 
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

A growing family is way more exciting than sawmilling.

CONGRATULATIONS
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

scsmith42

Congrats!

(and thanks for the customer with the pecan log that you recently referred to me!)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sealark37

The period 2026 thru 2032 should be very exciting and expensive for you.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

ncsawyer

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 03, 2017, 11:03:21 PM
Congrats!

(and thanks for the customer with the pecan log that you recently referred to me!)

You're certainly welcome!  I knew there was no way my Woodmizer could slab through the 36 inch crotch on that log like he wanted. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Quote from: sealark37 on January 04, 2017, 08:56:02 AM
The period 2026 thru 2032 should be very exciting and expensive for you.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

Thanks for the warning!  The Lord has certainly blessed our family and has allowed my wife to "retire" and she has stayed home with the kids since the very first day the oldest came home from the hospital.  It gets tight sometimes, but He always provides.

As a side note...the "Conley Hungry Children's Fund" never turns away donations!   :D
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Thank You Sponsors!