iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Florida guys! Need advice!

Started by Jeff, April 08, 2012, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey guys, I'm in Florida with my family, and they are talking about wanting to go on a fishing charter.  There are 6 of us, we are in Ocala. We need something we can charter before the end of the week, that is close to $100 or less per person, and provides the bait tackle and licenses. It can be either the gulf or atlantic, but as I said we are in Ocala.

Any advice for us?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My in-laws live in Sabastian Fl. 150 miles north of Miami. We have fished the gulf and the Atlantic Ocean. We prefer the gulf as it was not as rough as the Atlantic at the time.
Charters are GREAT! You do nothing but fish and they do the rest!

Send some pics when you get time.....and have FUN!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Papa1stuff

Fish the gulf ,you will enjoy it,like Post said much smoother!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

doctorb

Most private charters that I have fished are pretty pricey.  $600 might get you a half day.  Might!  Check out "inshore fishing". It is done in the inlets and back bays, usually catches a variety of fish, and is easy on the wallet. Once you start going offshore, the gas or diesel alone makes it expensive. I'll see what the Internet can drag up.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Jeff-

Google Ocala inshore charter fishing or flats fishing.  Several options.  Nice prices.  Looks like a hoot to me.  I'm flying down there now.  What day are you going! ;) ;) :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Patty

The gulf is a great place to fish! I spent a day fishing there on a private charter, and we caught a nice selection of fish. It was a blast.

Have fun!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Corley5

Yankee Springs is due west of Ocala on the Gulf.  There are charters that run out of there.  Check the Yellow Pages  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Shotgun

We took a party boat, 40 clients, out of Crystal River into the Gulf.  Maybe 10 years ago.  Cost was $40 pp.
Small group charters will likely be pretty pricy.  The party boat was fun though.  Lots of fish.  Went about 35 miles out.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

caveman

Jeff, I have not been on a charter since I was a kid but for you and your crew, I would look into a charter boat.  Try to get a spot on the transom, use mono or flourocarbon leaders, and don't be afraid to put down big baits.  This is a great time of the year to fish.  This past weekend was a bit windy but the fish were still chewing.  Good luck fishing.  Caveman

This is a trigger fish caught by my youngest in the Gulf   

Speckled trout are a popular and prolific inshore species   
Caveman

beenthere

Gee, fishermen can be cute  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Jeff, check the Florida Sportsman Fishing Forums. 
     http://forums.floridasportsman.com/
     Good, real-time advice from and about local areas.  Inshore, offshore, whatever.  I agree with others; I'd be looking at the Gulf from Ocala.
     Inshore Sea Trout and Redfish are doing well right now.  Offshore I'd be looking for Cobia personally.  Cedar Key is a really neat place to spend some time.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

This morning we are all going to Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park. Maybe that will be a good chance to scout something out. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Just north of Homosassa is Crystal River you should find a charter there or just up the road [US19] about 60 miles Cedar Key. Both are good places. If you decide to come further south, there's probably 50 boats out of Clearwater  beach.
With 6 people you are looking at a 6 pack boat. they supply everything except the food and beverages.
Good luck!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I have a friend north of Cedar Key with a boat but it may be too small for your group.  He hasn't been answering his phone.
If you want to come this far south I could line something up.

DanG

Jeff, just as an alternative thought, you might think about hiring two smaller boats.  Most "six-pack" boats are set up for offshore and six people would be climbing all over each other on an inshore trip.  Offshore is going to be too expensive, most likely, unless you go on a "head boat", which might be another option.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!