iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Arch ready for paint

Started by Bucksaw, December 30, 2016, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksaw

Almost ready for paint.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Bucksaw,

Looks good. I hope you have better luck with that hand crank winch than I did. Mine would not lift a log as big as I wanted so I had to replace it with a 4500 lb UTV winch. Then again mine was lifting over a set of fairlead rollers not a proper pulley like you seem to be using. Keep up informed how i works out and be careful with it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

That looks good and I'm sure it will work. I'm needing one of those to make the moving of logs a bit easier.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jaygtree

real nice! like those handles. gonna add handles to mine.   jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Bucksaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 30, 2016, 07:43:19 PM
Bucksaw,

Looks good. I hope you have better luck with that hand crank winch than I did. Mine would not lift a log as big as I wanted so I had to replace it with a 4500 lb UTV winch. Then again mine was lifting over a set of fairlead rollers not a proper pulley like you seem to be using. Keep up informed how i works out and be careful with it.
The hand winch is a two speed and I doubled the mechanical advantage with a second pulley, so I guess time will tell

timcosby

just unhook it from vehicle and tilt tongue up while over log and attach then just pull tongue down to lift log.

Magicman

That is some very professional craftsmanship.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Outstanding work Sir...looks great!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

bitrrtrbill

Bucksaw

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't welded much since 1978 or so and had a bit of a learning curve. The old school Lincoln buzz box does the job. A bit of bubble gum welding in a few spots.
I've decided I am going to add a removable 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" tube into the 2" out the back with a clevis to attach my log tongs. A work in progress...

TKehl

Maybe a dumb question or maybe it's the angle of the pictures...  But if you use a double pulley with your current attachment point, will you have enough vertical lift to get the log up?

A higher attachment point may be something to think about.  Would hate to mess up a good paint job.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Bucksaw

Quote from: TKehl on December 31, 2016, 01:38:01 PM
Maybe a dumb question or maybe it's the angle of the pictures...  But if you use a double pulley with your current attachment point, will you have enough vertical lift to get the log up?

A higher attachment point may be something to think about.  Would hate to mess up a good paint job.

Good observation. I did notice that it is low for large logs and will require a higher attachment. Haven't quite come up with how I will do it yet.

mrtwister

Bucksaw....excellent looking build....I built a log arch very similar to yours....I soon discovered that the front of the log closest to the vertical beam has a tendency to swing about and ram up against the front vertical beam quite a bit while hauling hitting bumps, dips and ruts etc....this causes a lot of shifting, jerking and affects control while hauling.....to control/eliminate that swing and ramming the front of the log needs to be kept centered and tight up against the front of the main horizontal beam. What I did was install an inverted "Y" down a few feet back from the front-most part of the beam for the log to be "cradled" into and tightened with the chain and small load-binder...made a big difference...I also transfer the rear load from the winch cable to a chain slung under the log and fastened on each end of the rear-upper cross-piece for additional control....it does add rigging time to the job but it improves safety and makes the ride back less rough....just a suggestion for you....I may be too late though as the paint may already be on....again, very nice build and Happy New Year!! :new_year:
Norwood ML 26 Mill, Log Arch, Kioti DS4510HS Tractor with Grapple, Chainsaws: Dolmar 510, Husqvarna t435 arborist chainsaw, T-Rex walking beam trailer, CF Moto U-Force 500 UTV.

Bucksaw

mrtwister,

No paint yet. We ended up with similar designs. Thanks for the advice/idea. Hard to see the detail of yours but I get the idea. I did see one someone else built with a inverted "V" to solve that problem. I think I will take your advice/idea and make it adjustable to better stabilize different diameter logs?

Kbeitz

I also put a V in my unit. You would not want the butt of the log swinging out into the traffic.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DeepWoods

Here what I did for an adjustable yoke, works real well for holding the front end of the log.

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Darrel

I like that!  That will prevent the log from taking you for an unexpected ride.
1992 LT40HD

Bucksaw

DeepWoods,

I like that design. I was thinking of one similar but with two adjustable arms on either side of the main frame.

Bucksaw

Last changes made and NOW ready for paint!

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!