iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Center pin repair pricing

Started by logman81, November 07, 2018, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

So my skidder needs some center section repair, replacing bushings and pins and there is a small amount of frame wear so that will need to be brought back to factory specs. So a guy I contacted me saying he can help me fix the problem and get it back to new again. He wants 100 bucks to help get the machine apart the rest of the way do what he needs to do to fix the pin holes and pull the machine back together to put new pins in. Does that sound like a fair price or am I going to have to shop around a bit?
Precision Firewood & Logging

GRANITEstateMP

Do you mean $1,000 or $100?  Most mobile guy's I know might show up for $100, but they haven't put a wrench on anything yet!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

bushmechanic

Must be a 100 an hour I figures! Is he going to line bore the holes? Seems awful cheap to do the complete repair. I'd be wary of the quality of the work.

logman81

Sorry guys I meant 1000 bucks. He's not line boring he's using some other method what I dont know?

mike_belben

Find out what exactly hes gonna do.  
Praise The Lord

WWright

logman81

I will hes coming by Friday after work to take a look at it. But any parts are on order  and should be here in a couple days.

mike_belben

I think i'd be leery of a thin bushing holding up over time. Oil impregnated 660 bronze is pretty tough and wear resistent but id want an 1/8" wall or thicker to drive in a long piece of it so it doesnt balloon on the way in.  
Praise The Lord

logman81

I wouldn't even consider doing anything like that.  For me its make the repair once and correctly so I will never have to do it again.

mike_belben

Well.. My personal opinion on pivots is that they probably should all have steel on bronze or brass.. But if ya think about it.. Its a ton of extra work for machine manufacturers, none do it so there is no expectation by the consumer to have bronzed bushed pivots and thus starting the process today would put that mfr at a disadvantage on build expense. And finally.. Worn out joints sell a lot of new iron.   I dont care how much you grease, steel on steel with dirt cant live forever. 

A new pin, an oversize cut on the bore and a hearty bronze insert wouldnt be a hack repair at all IMO. I think it'd be an improvement.  But i look forward to hearing how this fellow intends to rebuild the joint. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

I think the whole reason it wore out was because it wasn't shimmed and allowed it to do so.

logman81

Parts are in now to make plans to get this project done.

logman81

I have a question for anyone that has done center pins and bushings on the b series tree farmers , once I'm ready to put it back together where do the shims go? I bought six of them not sure how many I will need?

barbender

Since spending the last 7 years in Ponsse forwarders, I've become a big fan of bronze bushings and self aligning spherical bushings. My machine gets greased once every 40 hours. No squeaks, squawks or noticeable wear. They really hold grease well. I started off greasing every day (coming from the construction world), then every other day. The problem is you end up with grease from the crane all over your windshield. Over time, I finally reduced it to the manufacturer specified 40 hour interval. Any construction equipment I was ever in was creaking and groaning if not greased daily.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

This machine uses self aligning ball bushings on every pivot point.  I think my play is mostly coming from the lack of any shims and a little bit from the bushings. There is a very minimal amount of play from what I can currently tell in the pin holes in the frame less than 1/8 inch.

barbender

Those must've been updated already? I've never seen the spherical bushings on the older skidders.

logman81

Tree farmers have always used them as far as I know.

Fether Hardwoods

Clark skidders use spherical bearings also.

logman81

thecfarm

Now I know what a spherical bearing is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

logman81

Anyway I'll be splitting it tomorrow morning and ill.get to see what's up with it.

Flyingpig

It has spherical bearings in the frame? The wear is outside the bearing between it and the frame or between the bearing and the pin? Any clearance outside the bearing means the bore is toast and needs line boring. Those bearings are a slight crush fit. 1/8 of an in is a LOT of clearance. That's 0.125", pin to bearing clearance when new is only like 2-3 though per inch of bore diameter.

logman81

Yes and wear is in the pins and bushings. The bushing bores are fine I believe I will know exactly what is what later this morning.

logman81

Well everyone its apart! I am actually surprised how good the bores are. The bores are actually a tad small for the new pins so I need a guy to come machine them a thou or two and then all the new parts can go in and back together it goes! I think I got very lucky!

Thank You Sponsors!