Center pin repair pricing

Started by logman81, November 07, 2018, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Flyingpig

Good call on doing it now, line boring is expensive. We're the bearings missing any pieces or broken? Usually with spherical bearings they break up at the end of their life cycle.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Btw, i recently stopped at a tractor shop about something and they had a simple angle iron frame in 2 of the bays on the concrete that looked like a basic sawmill bed.  One had screw thread jackstands with roller feet that travelled on the track and the other had a roller carriage with jackstands on it.  There was hold down tabs for strapping anything you wanted in place and an eye for a comalong to winch whichever end you wanted apart.  Absolutely brilliant.  Guy said it made splitting and rejoining a tractor a one hand job.  Just flip the comealong and pall the carriage back.  

Ill build one when i have a shop. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

No broken bearings and the bores were still very good so I caught it in time. But I have to get the holes to line up everything is tight now and tough to move.

Flyingpig

That's a good sign! It'll be just like brand new again.

logman81

Yes basically the whole machine has been rebuilt.

logman81

Any tricks for lining up the holes so I can put the pins in?

mike_belben

Ratchet straps or chain and binder, chisels or wedges to get things pushed up or down as needed.   Spud wrench or whatever home brewing it takes for drift pinning final alignment.  I grind a generous taper on every pin i can so it becomes a drift of its own.  

Wood makes a decent dowel.  Belt sand a stick to a decent fit by hitting the dark spots wherever it binds.  Knock in wood drift pin then knock it through with the real one.  Cut the wood one off with sawzall every few inches if needed for clearance to remove.
Praise The Lord

logman81

Thanks for all your help everyone it's back together and no more play in the center pins! Now waiting for the new fuel tank to be made and then I can paint and install that. Then replace a couple planetary brass pins and put the winch back on with new cable.

logman81

So skidder has been working out well since the rebuild recently pulls wood great but I think it's time to up grade!

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on November 12, 2018, 09:22:58 AM
Btw, i recently stopped at a tractor shop about something and they had a simple angle iron frame in 2 of the bays on the concrete that looked like a basic sawmill bed.  One had screw thread jackstands with roller feet that travelled on the track and the other had a roller carriage with jackstands on it.  There was hold down tabs for strapping anything you wanted in place and an eye for a comalong to winch whichever end you wanted apart.  Absolutely brilliant.  Guy said it made splitting and rejoining a tractor a one hand job.  Just flip the comealong and pall the carriage back.  

Picture?
Liking Walnut

logman81

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

logman81

Jeff

Is that really what you want to say to me?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Quote from: nativewolf on January 06, 2019, 08:54:51 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on November 12, 2018, 09:22:58 AM
Btw, i recently stopped at a tractor shop about something and they had a simple angle iron frame in 2 of the bays on the concrete that looked like a basic sawmill bed.  One had screw thread jackstands with roller feet that travelled on the track and the other had a roller carriage with jackstands on it.  There was hold down tabs for strapping anything you wanted in place and an eye for a comalong to winch whichever end you wanted apart.  Absolutely brilliant.  Guy said it made splitting and rejoining a tractor a one hand job.  Just flip the comealong and pall the carriage back.  

Picture?
Didnt take one but google "tractor splitting stands" image tab

Heres one

Master Splitting Kit for Tractor Clutch | REPXPERT Site GB
Praise The Lord

logman81

That's a very nice setup be easy to make.

nativewolf

@mike_belben Always amazed at what people do and take pictures of and then put on these interwebs.  Silly rabbit should have looked on google himself.

Maybe one day if the company grows up some more and I can find another mechanic I trust (frankly losing Warren has really depressed me) then we'll have to have one of those  there thangs.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!