iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

canned gas

Started by starmac, October 28, 2016, 07:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Has anyone tried the canned gas that dealers selland promote by upping their warranty if you by some?
I bought a can today, which I said I wouldn't, but got to thinking. It looks as though I am going to have to carry a saw on the log truck. I made it the last two years without ever needing one, but already in just 4 loads this year I have had to cut 2 logs that were too close to my headache rack and one that was sticking out past my permit length.

This was on the landing and I used the loader operaters saw, a ryobi. I didn't even know they made a chain saw, and infact ask him was he sure that thing was actually a saw. lol  He said he didn't like carrying his good saw, don't really blaim him, but that saw is a workout, I suspect it needs sharpening, but had to cut one log that was over my head from the bottom because it was in the headache rack and would have bound up the saw to come from the top, just too much workout for this old man.
I figure I should carry my own saw, and since I may or not even have to start it the rest of the winter, I would just carry this can of gas.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Texas-Jim

Its a good quality fuel, its ethanol free and stores well. Its only draw back is price. But if you dont use saw much its a viable option.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

starmac

That is my thinking. Like I said the prior two years I never needed a saw, but we just started logging season this week and I have needed one three times with just the first four loads of logs. lol I hope to not need it again, but it might just be needed pretty regularly with the new loader hand. lol

OH logger

i have used it when putting motors in storage and have great results with it. on a side note; i always use 93 octane fuel for all my saws and small motors but there is now a gas station close to me that is selling ethanol free gas BUT its only 90 octane. which would you all use?? i like the idea of ethanol free VERY much (and my family are corn farmers  :D)
john

starmac

Supposedly all gas in Alaska is ethanol free, not sure of the rateing.
I have never had any gas issues yet though and just fired my 455 up last week on the gas that has been in it since last summer, as I didn't use them this summer.

I just poured the gas out of one of my 346's and refueled with this canned gas, it does burn lol and runs good on it.

samandothers

My brother uses the canned fuel. He does not use a saw much and seems to store well.  I buy ethanol free 89 or90 octane for all my small engines and use when mixing 2 cycle.  I do think it lasts better.

Ox

I've got ethanol free gas in an old soda bottle from around 15 years ago.  Still sealed, still smells as fresh as the day I put it in there.  I have no doubt it will burn just fine.  How about mixing up your 2 stroke mix and just dumping a little in a soda bottle?  Cheaper and it'll be just fine.  As long as it's non ethanol...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Texas-Jim

The stihl version, moto-mix claims to have an additive that keep it for two years. Not tried that in real life.

Jdwoody

I don't know if y'all have the brand true fuel in Alaska or not but it's pretty good stuff. I used to work for the oil company that launched it years back and I got to talk to one of the chemists a couple times. There's really not any magic to it other than good fuel, a good stabilizer and a vacuum sealed can. That being said it's a sensation with loggers around here even with the high cost. Every one of them all had the same report that the true fuel eliminated their saw repairs other than physical damage. I guess it doesn't matter what it costs if it keeps you running in the woods and not running to town for a new saw. Luckily the warehouse guys were standard issue idiots and damaged many a case of the fuel so I bought enough to last me a long time for pennies on the dollar.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp
Alaskan Mill (hope to change this soon!)

starmac

Interesting. The only benefit I have read about it was for saws that were stored or used just now and again. As far as I know none of the loggers here use it, at 8.95 a can, it would be cost prohibitive I would think.

I have a good friend that happens to be a mechanic for a logging outfit in the prescott area, need to call him anyway, so will see what he has to say about it.

JB Husky

I work for an electric utility and we use the canned fuel exclusively. It appears to have eliminated many of the issues we used to have. I also use it exclusively at home in my saws and my weed eater. I can typically find it for around $6.99 a quart but well worth it IMO.
455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

Jdwoody

Quote from: starmac on October 30, 2016, 01:11:41 PM
Interesting. The only benefit I have read about it was for saws that were stored or used just now and again. As far as I know none of the loggers here use it, at 8.95 a can, it would be cost prohibitive I would think.

I have a good friend that happens to be a mechanic for a logging outfit in the prescott area, need to call him anyway, so will see what he has to say about it.

The outfit I worked for would cut the cost about 45-50% if you bought 30 or more cases per month. This got the cost down around $3.50 a can. I agree with it being costly even at that price. I use it myself with great success although if I'm doing a large job I mix my own and the run the canned mix through when I'm done. Last year I left one of my small Stihls at the camp and when I got it out a couple weeks ago it fired on the second pull in typical Stihl style. That alone to me is worth the cost of the mix on a homeowner consumption rate. I actually pour a bottle in my 4 stoke splitter from time to time also when I'm finished with it.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp
Alaskan Mill (hope to change this soon!)

HolmenTree

Fire departments love this stuff.
Stihl is selling it here in 1 gallon square cans with a price much better then buying 4 seperate quart cans.

I only use it for my few saws and blower that sit more time in the truck then used.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

pwrwagontom

Quote from: Texas-Jim on October 28, 2016, 07:23:08 PM
Its a good quality fuel, its ethanol free and stores well. Its only draw back is price. But if you dont use saw much its a viable option.

My thoughts exactly.  I use it on my saws at home, because I hardly ever cut at home.  At work, I would never think of it.

I know some places for the local forest service that use the canned stuff in chainsaws on fire trucks.  Saws that hardly get used, but are expected to start and work in a pinch.

Just my two cents!
Never give an inch

Engineer

I switched over to the canned premix several years ago, when I was having carb problems with a couple pieces of Echo power equipment.  The dealer had just started selling the TruFuel brand, and after he took my money for a new carb for my string trimmer, he suggested I start using the canned gas.  A year or so later, Home Depot started carrying it.  My current saw shop sells VP Racing SEF94, and I have seen branded fuel from Stihl (Motomix), Jonsered and Echo on the store shelves.  I got into a good deal a couple years ago when Home Depot had the TruFuel on a one-day sale at half price, $3 a can, and I bought ten cases of it.  I typically buy 5-gallon cans of the VP Racing product for about $100 including tax, and that gets me through a full year or more of cutting, tilling, weedwacking and leaf blowing. 

So does it work?  I think so.  It has eliminated carburetor problems in all of my power equipment, and starting is quick and easy, even after sitting all winter in the case of the trimmer and blower.   The Echo equipment seems to be really finicky about fuel and they have been trouble-free.  Stihl and Dolmar saws have also been 100% reliable, and no repairs to carbs, fuel lines, filters or anything else. 

The only major drawback is expense.  I can now buy ethanol-free gasoline at a half-dozen locations within 10 miles of my house for about $2.75 a gallon.  By the time I add in 50:1 oil and stabilizer, I'm up in the $8 per gallon range and I still have to mix it myself.  The canned stuff is $20 a gallon unless it's on sale.  Still, I will continue to purchase the canned mix, as it's peace of mind.  Other people buy oil, propane or wood pellets; I buy fuel for my equipment.  It's cheap insurance. 

The vendor I buy the VP Racing Fuel from, said that he regularly stocks and sells 55-gallon drums of it to local landscapers and construction companies, and even a couple of grounds departments at universities.  That's a convincing argument in favor of using the stuff.  I won't buy it for my own workplace, as we use way too much fuel in our power equipment to justify the cost, but we are using non-ethanol gas and synthetic oil in our mix cans. 

Texas-Jim

Tru Fuel and Stihl Moto Mix are the same fuel mixed at the same refinery. The only difference to my understanding is the oil.  Stihl uses the ultra, not sure on Tru Fuel.

thecfarm

If having trouble with carbs and hoses and take it to a dealer to be worked,that can stuff is not all that bad in price.
I must live a charmed life. I buy the highest grade I can buy and use it in all my small motors, So far,so good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coalsmok

I buy it to store away my weed eater and chainsaws when I am not going to use them for a month or more. No issues when I go to get them out and work them they just start right up.  No well let's drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it and pull the starter rope for half a day. Just normal cold start and put pump gas in it until ready to store it again.

Kbeitz

Around here you can buy it pre mixed. It's over a dollar a gt.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

i have never tried it but i usually mix in small batches 2 1/2 gal :) every once in a while i will mix 5 gal but not very often that i do enough cutting to need 5 gal :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

barton174

As stated, the only real down side is the cost.

I use it in my 550XP because of the warranty (to stop the dealer from being able to say "it's your fuel" automatically), but I mix 91 E0 from my local CountryMark with Bailey's synthetic oil to 40:1, and haven't had any probems with it, either.

Mike
Jonsered 490 - Stock
Echo CS-330MX4 - Mufmod + tuned
Husky 371XP - '99 model, Ported + Mufmod + tuned
Husky 550XP - Stock
Jonsered 2166 - "farmer jones"
Husky 365XT - "farmer Jones"
Husky 555 - Stock for now

Thank You Sponsors!