iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poison oak & poison ivy

Started by jtimbermill, February 08, 2018, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtimbermill

To all you sawyers out there that cut their own trees to mill, how do you deal with the poison oak and ivy.  My property is covered with and it seems like I have a continuous case.  Are there any old school remedies. Are there any suggestions on how to clear the property of this menace.  I have 3 boys that run all over the place but it seems that I am the only one that has issues. I wear gloves and long sleeve's but during the summer it is just to hot to dress like a bee keeper. Any advice would be great.

StimW

Rule #1 , NEVER burn it!
When you burn it the oil becomes vapor and can be inhaled getting in your lungs/airway which can be fatal!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

goose63

The last time I had poison ivy on my arm I used a stiff scrub brush on the blisters then bleach it's gona burn like the dickens but the poison ivy was gone the next day
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Darrel

Check out health food stores or natural food/remedy stores, my wife used to go there and buy a bottle of pills with the name "Poison Oak" on the label. Don't know if you can still get it or not, haven't seen any of it in over 20 years. Have no need for it here as poison oak doesn't live here.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

goose63

And don't use for toilet paper just ask my brother how he knows
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

DelawhereJoe

Aside from spending loads of money on chemicals just get some goats they will eat the stuff and depending on what kinda goats you get, the bigger the goat the higher it can reach. You can also harness train a goat and will pull around 200lbs so you boys could start there own goat racing league. There also good for meat, cheese milk and as pets. I've found an over mix of Roundup, 2,4D and bush-b-gone very effective on killing the ivy and keeping it dead.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Darrel

Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if the goats eat the poison oak/poison ivy and you drink their milk you will become immune.   
1992 LT40HD

Sixacresand

I am highly allergic to it.  "Leaves of three, let it be".  I found that if I take Benadryl or OTC antihistamine, it doesn't bother me so bad.  It will make you drowsy, so you got to be extra careful while using equipment and tools.  Sometimes, it so bad, I just go to the ER or Dr. and get a shot.  As a teen, we used to pull on vines going up into a tree to run squirrels out of their nest.  Big mistake!  And be careful what you put on the campfire.  the PI smoke can be very potent.  Dogs running in the woods are like PI paint brushes when you pet them. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 08, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
I am highly allergic to it.  "When I see leaves of three, I let it be".

Lots of plants have 3 leaves but poison ivy has a chunk
missing on one of the leaves. Or an indent.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Quote from: Darrel on February 08, 2018, 09:44:17 AM
Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if the goats eat the poison oak/poison ivy and you drink their milk you will become immune.

I must have drank goat milk one time from a goat that ate some money.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Darrel

Quote from: Jeff on February 08, 2018, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: Darrel on February 08, 2018, 09:44:17 AM

:D :D :D :D :D
Me too!!!
1992 LT40HD

Crossroads

Did you know it takes 3 goats months to clear a blackberry patch, but only 15 minuets to strip all of your apple trees 😤
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

clearcut

Oh, the summer of 1988. I was the field crew chief for a research project measuring oaks in California oak-grass woodlands. Poison oak surrounded nearly every tree. All of the crew members got poison oak at some point in the study.

What worked for us to reduce the incidence:

Protection - long sleeves, gloves,
                       removed before entering the vehicles
                       and washed separately from all other clothing.
     Washing contacted skin with COLD water only - no soap - rinse then scrub with a paper towel
     Rinsing washed skin with isopropyl alcohol
     Some folks used Tecnu with mostly good results.

Though I have not used it, some folks recommend Bentoquatam (a form of bentonite clay) containing oak-ivy blockers. IvyBlock is one brand.

Another treatment that works for poison ivy is to rub suspected contacted areas with crushed jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) leaves found at the boundaries of wetlands.

We never found a non-prescription remedy better than calamine lotion - possibly improved by sipping goat's milk.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Deere80

Spray it with Milestone, mix a 1/2 once per 25 gallons of water.  Buy it from your county weed board and during the spring they with cost share it depending on how much land you have.  It will kill it quick, like four hours the leaves will be drooping already.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Southside

Wash with Tecnu, I keep a bottle in the truck. Excellent stuff.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

submarinesailor

I LOVE TECNU!!!!!!!!!!!  I keep a quart bottle of it in the bathroom so I have it when I need it.

firefighter ontheside

Wearing long pants and sleeves only helps if you wash the clothes immediately and wash yourself after handling the clothes.  Many people think poison ivy spreads.  I have a friend who gets it all the time.  She said it was spreading and I told her, "no you're continually being exposed to it".  It may have been on the dogs, dogs got it on furniture, etc.  Take a good hot soapy shower to remove the oil.  My grandma taught me to use white vinegar.  After being exposed to poison ivy, I will soak a paper towel in vinegar and wipe down arms and legs.  I have not gotten poison ivy in many years.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on February 08, 2018, 09:58:11 AM

smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've ate it but it makes my butt itch.  :D :D :D

Goat
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

starmac

I do not know how common it is, but I am one of the lucky ones, I could get naked and roll around in it with no ill affects. My dad was the same way, and his sisters were highly allergic to it, as was mine.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ToddsPoint

Poison oak and poison ivy are two different species.  Oak and ivy in the west are different species than in the east so you have four different species total that are poison.  The western stuff is a lot stronger than the eastern version.  Tech-Nu works great for eastern but I've heard it's not as good for western.
There is also a product called Ivy Block.  You put it on before you go in the woods.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

thecfarm

Some of you guys talk about that stuff vining up the trees.  :o
I just have the poison ivy. I have some on the edge of he woods. Thank God I own the woods. I have really been trying to kill it back. We,my Father and I would only spray it,total vegation killer,every few years. I Have been right at it. If it's short and green,it gets sprayed. Short as one foot tall. I might,I said might,be gaining on it. Hard stuff to kill in the woods.
I bought back some of The Farm. There was a so called stone wall that was covered in that stuff. There was a few bushes,but it was on the edge of the road and a field trying to go back to a forest. I kept that wall barren for 3 years. If it was green,it got sprayed. It did not matter if I knew it was grass,it got sprayed. I got rid of the poison ivy and it's been at least 5 years of mowing and has not came back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Starmac,

I'm like you but I get it on me or my clothes and never know I have been in it then my wife gets it. I think it would be easier to live with if I just got it, :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

cfarm -

Around here you will find vines large enough that you could put the main trunk on your saw and cut it, the vines will go up 30' and branch out 20' to the sides hanging clusters of berries that look like small grapes - and I am not exaggerating. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!