iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charging a premium

Started by PAmizerman, February 08, 2018, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfrommaine

Everytime I have purchased lumber the price has always been higher for anything 10" and over.

brianJ

Picked up another job today. All 1x10.  As long as I can get the logs.

What are you leaving unsaid?    "Once I figure out where to get these better logs they will cost me more"   Of course that is just supply and demand.   

@Brucer   Nearly doubles for more than 8"    Yikes I would never had guessed it was that high a jump. 

thecfarm

My Old Saying,I can make more money digging rocks. Than my FIL says,there no money in digging rocks. Catching on pretty quick,is my next remark.  ;)
You have to charge enough to make money,cut and dry. And I am not talking making only pennies either.
I can make more money digging rocks.  :D
I sawed out a horse run in for me. Took good size logs for 10 inch lumber. I was cutting the trees on my own land. I used the smaller boards for the roof. Than I sawed out 2x4's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

One of my first jobs was an order for 10" wide hemlock . I was so excited right up until I saw my over run pile growing faster than my order pile .  Then the guy didn't take all of the 10" wide stuff ! So yes I would charge more ! And I do . Not that anyone is lining up out my drive way to buy lumber but I am not a stock yard . I have learned over a few short years that pricing has to be in line with the job . Normal run stuff normal pricing , over size and specific order stuff commands a premium . I much prefer the portable situations were I just go and mill the customers logs into what they want and leave them with their over run . I tend to have good luck with the small amounts of over run on my own stuff ,but, like I said I am not a lumber yard .
I bleed orange  .

Brucer

Brian, the reason it nearly doubles is that a wane-free 1x10 comes off the side of what could be a much more valuable timber. So I charge the same $/BF for the 1x10 as I would for a 6x10 or an 8x10.

Keep in mind that my main product is not boards or lumber, it's timbers. When I quote a price for 1x10 or 1x12 the customers get that glassy-eyed look :o, but when I explain why it costs so much, they nearly always understand.

What you charge for anything depends on your personal circumstances. What do raw materials cost, what kind of equipment do you own, what's your market, and so on. But at the end of the day you have to make money or you're not really a business.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dave Shepard

My prices are always negotiable. I will always accept more than I'm asking.

A friend of mine would get people like that when bidding plumbing work. He'd tell them to hire the other guy quick before he changed his mind.

Quote from: Southside logger on February 10, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Just last night I had a guy e-mail me looking for oak lumber.  I gave him the price, I get back a snarky e-mail telling me he paid half that at another mill, in doing so he adds in all sorts of optional language to describe my price. My response was that he "should go back to that mill".  Those types are everywhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mt406

I was standing out in my log yard today looking at the load of high dollar logs.
And though about this thread and took some pics.
In my area I don't get a lot of big trees or very stearate so when I get a call for wide or long I have to pay a premium.
Hears the difference between 85/ton and 120/ton logs.

These are the 85/ton only 30% were able to make 12 in wide wood

These are the 120/ton

65/ton lodge pole pine

For my operation i have to charge more for 10in and wider and longer than 16 foot.
I know what my costs are and I dont play price games.
And when thay try to say the guy down the road charges less I tell them thay better buy from them.

Scott

Ianab

That's a good example. If you have to pay a premium for the better logs, then you need to charge a premium for the better end product as well.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stuart Caruk

It's all in your log supply I guess. I rarely stick anything on my mill under 24" diameter. Typically the logs are almost to much to fit on the mill. The mills here won't take anything over 32" so I get a lot of huge butt cuts for cheap. I love the look of sawn lumber with few if any knots.

The side lumber is a byproduct for the beams I want. I'm just now trying to figure an easy way to make handling it profitable.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Peter Drouin

Mt406, Was the Pine all stained when it came in?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

$.05 more for 10 and up.
I have too much side lumber some from 2-3 yrs ago.
When you deal with quite a lot shaky Hemlock as I do you make a lot of narrow stuff even from big logs.
I will however be sawing all WP this spring.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Mt406

Yes Peter
99% of my pine is dead standing at least the lodge pole Its beetle kill.
Pine beetle is totally out of control here some areas the forest is 90% dead.
I don't get much ponderosa pine hear I have a bout 3500 bf for my own siding to be cut it had some blue when I got it.
It now has a lot. My wife likes the look so it will work.

Scott

Mt406

Stuart
It is in the log supply.
Mills are the same here they will only take 30 inch butts.
If the logger get a bigger tree they dump the butt in the slash pile.
most forester wont mark big trees they leave them for wildlife trees
And they blow down in the first big storm.
I set my operation up to be able to handle the bigger logs.
I have a swing blade that doesn't get used much.

Scott

starmac

The sawmill here can only handle up to 25" butts, but they take bigger without docking us.
They cut them for firewood till they get down to 25", what a shame.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!