iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Correct Drivebelt Tension

Started by Rougespear, February 11, 2018, 01:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Any thoughts on determining the correct drivebelt tension on the sawmill?  I'm wondering if my drivebelt is slipping some and causing the dipping and diving.  I do not have one of those "belt tension" gauges... Thanks!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

slider

I would get the gauge and find the specs for your engine . Crank shafts are not cheap.
al glenn

Rougespear

Engine is a 1970s Wisconsin with an 1 7/16" shaft - I don't think max belt tension was every spec'd for this old engines.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kbeitz

Sorry... I forgot this was two parts. I made it all in to one picture.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

With how many # of pressure.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

Quote from: ladylake on February 11, 2018, 04:06:30 PM

With how many # of pressure.  Steve

I fixed it... Go back up and look again.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

Would that same chart apply to belts with a tensioner pulley?  I ask as my book calls for 14lbs and 7/16" deflection
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kbeitz

Quote from: Southside logger on February 11, 2018, 04:46:48 PM
Would that same chart apply to belts with a tensioner pulley?  I ask as my book calls for 14lbs and 7/16" deflection

No idea... Sorry...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

squirrel dog

May be a little pricey but could you go to a cogged belt and pulleys.  like a timing belt.  i did that on my woodmizer years ago when mine was slipping in wide dense woods.  solved my problem.

Ben Cut-wright

Can the deflection measurement be used with the chart you posted?  It appears the chart references much higher deflection pressures using a Burroughs tension gauge. This is a gauge I am familiar with as I own and use several models of that style.   

Randy88

You might want to consider into the equation belt stretch, as the belt runs and heats up, it stretches, at one time I knew what percent of stretch was allowable, I'm thinking maybe 3 percent or so.         

There is also a difference in belts, I'd have to do some investigating again, but there are belts out there that have a very small percentage of stretch compared to average v belts, again not being able to remember exactly, but less than a half percent comes to mind on certain types of belts.    I went through this about a decade ago on a machine I built that is hydraulic motor belt driven.

Thank You Sponsors!