iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New EZ Boardwalk Jr not cutting straight

Started by Darren, October 07, 2018, 07:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren

Hey guys, new here Ive followed the forum for a while looking for sawmills and finally made the decision on the EZ Boardwalk Jr that I received Friday. The mill is very well constructed and the Honda motor sure is nice and quiet. I didnt mess with changing anything from how they have it setup only thing ive done is put a blade on it and tensioned it. It says to adjust the leading nut to the indicator which ive done. At first my boards had a dive to them and they had a 1/4 inch slope on one side. After a few adjustments to how I have the mill set, now I just have the dive in the boards. Any ideas as to what I should be doing here. I'm new to sawmilling altogether so I have plenty to learn. Ive enjoyed the firewood that ive milled so far but would really like to make some real boards lol.

Bruno of NH

Sounds like a blade tensioning issue
To me 
Adding more tension might help
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darren

Will give it a try, thanks for the fast reply.

Bruno of NH

I run more than what the manufacturer of my mill reconmends.
It cuts better 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Don't overlook the drive belt.   If it slips slowing down the blade speed, bad things happen.  Proper engine speed is also critical.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Downstream

I run mine a little tighter than flush to the tension nuts also, but not too far past and have not seen issues.  Only problems I see with wavy cut at all are associated with dull blades.  I run at full throttle and adjust feed speed to keep rpm's as constant as I can.  I would increase tension first and watch feed speed.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Darren

Do you do anything with the black nuts or do you just tension with T handle?

Darren

I just put a different blade on it and tensioned a little past flush so we will see 

Downstream

I have only tension using the t-handle.  Im using the 10 degree timberwolfs blades that I ordered with the mill.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Darren

Made another bad cant and a terrible board. After further inspection it looks like maybe I clamp it to tight and my be is off level for sure. The cant doesnt touch in the 2 center beams but makes contact on the beginning and end beam. As far as the clamping goes I noticed that when I released them from my cant that it drops the cant flush on the end beam. I guess I'm just rushing myself to much and not paying attention to all the little things

Darren

Ok thank you, thats what I'm doing and using as well.

Downstream

Your clamp comment also is spot on.  I have found that with the ez clamps there is a sweet spot where they are just tight enough to hold but not distort the cant/log.  when I really clamped them tight I usually was putting too much pressure and the wood sprung back to normal position after unclamping. 

Darren

Thanks for all the help, looks like more leveling needs to be done and I need to use less clamp before I go any farther

Skipper11A

Don't be afraid to over tension your EZ Boardwalk, especially if you are making wide cuts in extremely hard wood.  I add one extra rotation of the T handle when I'm milling Post Oak and Pecan and the blade still dives when it hits the big knots.

I'd like to know what type of wood you are milling and whether it was a standing dead tree or was still alive.  Some woods are much harder to saw than others and dead trees are harder than living trees.

Darren

I tried mostly ash, which most of that around here is dead, black cherry and poplar. All had the same results, but my track is definitely the biggest issue its not level enough. Will work on that next weekend, I'll have to get some beams or something to put under it

barbender

Ash that was standing dead can be a bit of a bear to saw anyhow.
Too many irons in the fire

Darren

Would probably help to open the actual ball valve for the water as well. All the little things I failed to notice😔. To much excitement I suppose, waited weeks so was really itching to try it out

Bruno of NH

Darren

I have heard that but the poplar and black cherry I did came out the exact same. Its definitely on me, will have to get it figured out I'm new to this, just impatient as well lol.

Chuck White

Make sure that the blade is level with the bunk, both side to side and end to end!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Check your blade installation instructions just to be sure you are putting them on correctly.   Is it possible the band wheels are taking the set out of the inside/top teeth because the teeth are riding on the wheel?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Darren

Says in the instructions to have the back edge of the blade even with the back of the wheel, it doesnt appear that the teeth ride on the wheel but will double check to be sure. They dont give you much of instruction guide, mostly just maintenance.

hturner12

If you are still having problems call Stanton. If you have it directly on the ground your frame is following the contur of the ground.
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

never finished

The track must be level side to side and, straight end to end.

Thank You Sponsors!