iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auction day

Started by biziedizie, May 10, 2003, 07:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

I couldn't make it to the auction as I was sawing but my dad was going so I asked him to bid on a few lamas for me. Well the truck was just here and they dropped off a blue alpaca. It looks like a lama but it's smaller and alot nicer.
  Does anyone know anything about these guys? I need to know if they can jump fences and things like that.
  Any help or ideas would be great.

Steve

ADfields

About all I know of them is it wont be jumping your fence if it would hold a lama and they have a better wool then lamas do.   What little I have been around them they were also less likely to spit on people then lamas are.   I'm a cow man myself but the wife wants some sheep and I have been kinda pointing her at alpacas so we may soon have one around, as a X-cowman I find it very hard to buy the wife a sheep. ::)
Andy

EZ

The neighbor guy bought 4 Alpacas about a month ago. His fence is 4 1/2 ft high. He paid $17,000.00 for these critters, alot of money for what I see in them, but they are kinda cool looking. Said he is going to be rich some day, I dont know maybe he's going to get a second job or some thing. Said he can sell the fur for $45.00 a lb, said their wood be 1 1/2 lb of fur in one shaving, per animal, per yr. O-well everybody has their own bag.
EZ

Haytrader

Our electric company puts out a small magazine each month and features one of thier customers. Ironically, they featured a farm that raises alpacas this month. It told how they were easy to handle, very gentle, good pets, what the fur was worth and so on. It had a web address so I looked. They had a couple dozen on the sale list and the cheapest was like $15,000.     I thought to myself that this will be another deal like the ostrich was. The first ones in make a lot of money and down the line there will be lots of alpacas that no one wants.
Here is the address if anyone wants to look.
cedarhollowalpacas.com
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

I think those things are just polled goats with a slick agent. :D

Used to be chinchillas that would make you get rich quick.  Later it was pot bellied pigs,  llamas, emus,  and then anything exotic.

We had a fallow deer visit us that a guy dumped because he got tired feeding it and couldn't find anyone to buy it.  A guy up the road got hurt by an emu that had been dumped.  Our wild pot bellied pig population is reported to be growing.  

I was getting in the cows the other day and I noticed that some low down knucklehead had scattered a huge collection of pet rocks all over our pasture :o ::)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

biziedizie

Noble what's the cost of keeping pet rocks? :D
  There's a guy up the road that invested everything he had into llamas when it was the thing to do and now his stock isn't worth anything. He got lucky by selling the wool but so I would assume that over the years he broke even. Like he always says it's the only business where you buy high and sell low. ::)
  I remember years back seeing these animals going as high as 10 grand and thinking that a person would have to be an idiot to pay that much. I bought mine for 65 bucks and I plan to buy some more next weekend. I'm going to buy all the ones that look like their last homes were'nt as good as the home that I can provide. We have lots of grass and good dry shelter so they can live the rest of their lives in comfort.
  I don't think there's any money to be made in these animals but I think that I buy these exotic animals for pets. My kid loves them and so do all the other kids in the family. Maybe I should start a petting zoo?

Steve

p.s Haytrader thanks for the link. Andy buy goats their low maintanance, sheep are noisy!

Patty

Bizi, no that isn't the only business that one can buy high and sell low. I have a real knack for finding more than my share....the stock market is the first one that comes to mind. ::)  

Sounds like you got yourself a deal with your new pets. hope you and the kids enjoy them.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

biziedizie

Thanks Patty my kid just loves the strange animals that I bring home. :D

AS far as the stock market goes I lost a fortune in it when I was younger. Sometimes easy money isn't the best way to go. I stick to hard work, it pays well, not as well as I wish it would though. :D

Steve

Haytrader

Noble,

Would you beleive it, I have a pet rock picker. (and need to use it more often)  A couple years ago someone dumped like 13 Emus ouside of town. It gave the local yokels somthing to do. We got quite a lot of entertainment watching the rodeo. A rancher took the ones they caught and gave them a home.  

Bizie,

If $65 is all you had to give, who knows, maybe you can make some easy green if the kids will let you.
 ;)
Haytrader

CHARLIE

Noble, how high a fence do you have to have to keep those pet rocks from jumping out? ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Noble I think the kids get more worried about me eating the pets more then anything. I had some deer once and as we all know what good eating they are a few of them ended up in the freezer. :D The oldest girl knows how to count and she put two and two together and ratted me out. :'(

Steve

ksu_chainsaw

the cedar hollow farm is right in my hometown.  they had an article in the paper a few moths ago and they were talking about how much they could write off on their taxes as depreciation on each animal.  the Sines used to run the local hotel and have always been looking at ways to save money.

Charles Wist

ADfields

Biz. I flat out cant stand goats!! >:(   The first new pickup truck I ever had was parked in the driveway at our farm the first time ever,  DanG goats got over the fence and camped out on my hood and roof of my BRAND NEW truck and caved it all in!!!! >:(   They won't eat anything BUT the things you want to keep, fruit trees and rose bushes are the first thing they run to when they get out! >:(   They can tell from 15 feet off that the electric fence is shorted out and can clime over most other fences. >:(   They make 10 times the racket as sheep do, till they are out and into all the stuff you want them out of. >:(   And nothing stinks as bad as a billy goat in musk even if the glands are removed!! >:( >:( >:(

When I was a kid we had goats as well as cows on our dairy farm and sold goat and cow milk to the public from the farm (can't do that now).   We had around 25 milking goats and 75 cows milking in flat barns, the 75 cows were a lot less work then them DanG goats.   As all us kids got old enough to refuse to work with the goats and Mom and Dad were forced to work them it was less then 6 months before it became an all cow setup! 8) 8)   Dad still has around 40 papered jerseys as a show string to this day but as the man is 82 they need a new home soon I think, anyone need some top notch cattle?
Andy

DanG

So, Andy, how do you feel about goats? :D

I'd sure like to have a couple of those Jerseys, but goats is about all I got to trade. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

biziedizie

Andy I think that's what I like about goats! They get into everything and keep you on your toes. :D  They will eat anything and everything and for 2 years I've been trying to grow sunflowers for my kid and those dam goats eat them. :D
  We have a golf course right behind the farm and me and the golf course don't like each other one bit because they spray crap on the course that leaches into our wells. The goats were jumping the fence and crapping all over their greens and they sure got pi**ed about that. ;D
  Goats also eat the trees and that gives me a reason to cut them as the Township says that I can't.
  Sheep are nice if you have a few of them but we had 300 of them at one time and that was alot of work considering that we had 30,000 layers here as well.
  I still like the idea of the pet rock farming idea but I just have no clue as to how a guy would get into that business. ???

Steve

Bro. Noble

I think I built my fences too high cause I noticed tonight that there's a bunch of them rocks on the other side of the fence now.  I'm pretty sure they are procreating and rolled under the wire >:(

Noble

J_T

Let me see at 45.00 lb for fur how many years before theese critters pay for them self? :D Some time best way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket ;D
Jim Holloway

Fla._Deadheader

J_T glad to see yer postin again. Have you any idea how the guys west of you made out from the Tornados??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

J_T

Sorry to say made out real bad tore up Jackson Tn killed 11 . That was the worst 6 mile from here laid down a stand of good oak like 30'' DBH .I was luckey here just a few shingles.
Jim Holloway

Mark M

So then, I'll bet Nobel can answer this question since he knows a lot about animals (es-specially farm animals).

What do you have if you've got 100 female pigs and 100 male deers?

Bro. Noble

Gosh Mark let me think-----must be 200 sowsand bucks :D

Noble

Mark M

DanG - I knew you would know the answer to that one Noble. I can see now I'm going to have to get up earlier in the morning. :D

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!