iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to expect?

Started by kentuckyboy, July 01, 2003, 06:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyboy

I had a neighbor come by yesterday wanting some sawing done next week. He said there were several sassafras logs to cut up. We went to look at them and there must have been 20 to 30 logs. They were 15" to 30" diameter and anywhere from 12 to 20 feet. I didn't know sassafras lumber was good for much, but that is what he wants sawed.
      I haven't sawed any sassafras and don't know what to expect ( I know it smells good ) Anyone had any experience with sassafras?

Fabiola

Is it a kind of cinnamon, right?
It is good furniture. It is used here in Brasil. I will check it for you tomorrow!
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

dewwood

I sawed about 1000' of sassafras about a month ago.  It saws really well.  It is a fairly dry wood when sawing somewhat like ash although less dense.  I sell some occasionally and the things I have seen people make from it look nice and it seems to finish well.

Have fun!
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

woodbeard

Sassafrass is gorgeous! I just put some down on my bathroom floor, and am building my kitchen cabinets out of it too. It has a lot of color, and various subtle figures that really show up well when finished. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. It is also very rot resistant.
Sassafrass logs are often hollow, and can have lots of punky areas around the knots. Knotty logs should be flat sawn, as the knots can come apart if cut on the quarter. If you have any clear logs, you might try quarter sawing them, sometimes it shows a nice "satin" or ribbon figure that way.

Ron Wenrich

I had 7 Mbf on a timber sale and the mill wouldn't cut it, and it averaged over 20".  He didn't know what to do with it.

Since then, I've sawn several Mbf.  Good sawing stuff.  On the wholesale level, prices are generally quoted as being the same as red oak.  A century ago, it was sold as black ash.  But, I think it has the look of chestnut.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!