iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

success with a chainsaw mill

Started by TessiersFarm, July 05, 2009, 03:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I have had my alaskan mill now for about 3 months and I am completely thrilled with it.  I saw for an hour or two a couple of evenings a week and I am amazed at how much lumber is pilling up.  I have been planning on building a bandsaw mill for a couple of years but this thing is a major setback to the bandsaw plans.  I am a small farmer and I only cut wood for myself so I am not that concerned with speed but I do love the versatility of this thing.  I also use the saw for bucking firewood and that is a huge benifit as well.  I also love the size because I already have enough equipment that sets out to the weather and I am already building poor as it is.  I know all you hardcore sawmill guys are laughing and thinking I am off my rocker but I wanted to pass along my good experience for all those thinking of starting small and simple.  My next addition is a set of bunks to get the log up to a comfortable working height, and hold the flitches upright for sawing.  I am thinking something I can move with my forks on the tractor.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

jimparamedic

Hay what ever works. I started with a homemade chainsaw mill than moved to a circular sawmill because it came at the right price and for me I felt it more practical than a band mill. Show some pics lets see what you saw and build. Saw dust gets in the blood.

fishpharmer

TF, that sounds great to me about your Alaskan mill.  I always thought they were neat machines that are versatile with dual purpose.  Now I have little experience  with sawmills in general but its great you have a mill, any mill.  I am too lazy an old for an Alaskan myself, admire you and others with them.

Starting small and simple is great.  Don't apologize, ever.  The most important thing is that you started.  To me that goes for anything in life.  

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.  You will attain your goals.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

woodmills1

pretty soon you will have extra lumber and it will sell.  Then after a bit you will buy roofing and nails from lumber money  :and................................... :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

campy

TF, That is great that you are sawing.

I am down here in TN, originally from Boston, MA.

It amazed me how long it took me to really understand sawing.   The whole process of sawing and drying is deep but very interesting.   

Here in TN there are so many nice trees and people give them to me.  I love sawing and talking to others about woodworking and the like.  It is a very rewarding hobby/business.

Keep those photos and news bullitens coming.

I saw your website and wanted you to know that we do Maple Syrup down here in TN and it is great.

Jasperfield

Sprucegum

Here's a pic of some light bunks I made for my CSM. I could carry them out to the log if I couldn't get it out with my limited equipment. They were pretty wobbly but I could roll the log up the long leg if it was heavy (they get heavier every year). Standing up straight gets more important every year too.  ;)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Your doing well you should be proud mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) it sure is funny how the timber  starts stacking up when you keep at it with a csm  ;) ;D i used one for a couple of years when i first started sawing timber at 13yo with a track type csm then got a manual band mill  ;) the bugs bittn mate  ;) only gets worse ehhmmm i mean Better from here Mate  ;)

Alota Us Hardcore Blokes had to start somewhere  ;) :D ;D 8) 8)  you will find a good number of us started on csms  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!