iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lane Circle Mill Project

Started by Mooseherder, July 13, 2009, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

It has been 3 years since I bought and dismantled this Milling operation from the previous owner.  We took it apart together with the understanding he was to help me re-assemble.  It took about 8 days just the two of us.  We hauled in a bunch of gravel a couple years ago in anticipation of this day I and am looking forward to making some progess this summer.  I've started with the preparation of the concrete pad where the Track Frame, Sawdust Conveyor Pit, Husk and Motor will sit.  I'm hoping he shows up to help me pour the concrete. :D  So far my brothers bailed me out by helping on July 4th to finish this before having to leave for my flight back.
Other concrete will come later on next year for the Resaw, Edger and Chipper.  I figured this will take just under 12 yards of concrete for now. The Pour should be on August 1st.  Same day as the Pig Roast and my wife's class reunion. ;D

Mooseherder

The new Track Frame has been painted safety red and will be replacing the old sections laying on top of the Intake Log Deck.
That is the next job after the concrete. :)

bandmiller2

MH,looks like your going about it the right way,the big hurdle with a heavy duty circular mill is the planning and foundation many sleepless nights.thats the reason their are so many sawmill parts piles the owners never take the first hardest step.Which model Lane and what do you have for power??I have a topsaw setup for a Lane #1 if you want to hussle the big stuff.Keep us posted,is Florida Maine the warm sunny part of Maine?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looking good Moose  ;) ;D 8) Your going the rite way about things she'll be one tidy settup when your finnished  Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

I love the old mills mate just wish the bank would finance the build on my Meadows i got a laugh outa the question the bank manager asked me the other day  ;) :D He goes this other old Meadows mill you have at home how much would it cut per day against the new kara saw I said Bout the Same production  ;) then he goes what are you going to do with it if you get the new mill (sell it  ???) I said Well mate Im already planning to  finnish it in my own time then ill have Two production mills for the price of 1 and 1/3rd he just said
Ohh that sounds like you have a good plan either way chris i just said i know one will just take me alittle longer  :) ::) ::) ::) ;) :D :D

I couldnt think of doing what your doing mate Shes a looooong hike any way  you look at it ;) :D :D ;D 8)

Keep up the good work and keep us posted Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Captain

Looks like a good start Moose.    I'm going to look at a 1876 Lane this week....

Captain

Meadows Miller

Gday

Captain Thats A Classic I reckon afew different sawyers woulda cut some timber on err in that 133 years Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Mooseherder

I don't know what Model # it is but believe it is of a newer vintage.  It is wrapped up tight under storage so I'll  post a picture and find out when it is put back on the track. :D  The Carriage and Frame are probably the only original parts from Lane.  The dogs work off of Hydraulics.   The Husk, Arbor and Hydraulic control valves are on a Steel Frame that is 8x8. 
The Motor is a 1999 John Deere,  model 4045TF150A  4.5 liter.  It has 3145 hours on the clock.
It runs everything except for the Planer, Log Deck, Sizer and Sawdust carriers.

Mooseherder

Progess is slow but we got the concrete down for the Track and Carriage, Husk and Motor. :)
We used 11 yards including the walls for the sawdust conveyor pit.

The rest will have to wait for next year for both time and money. ::)
The pit floor will come on another pour.

farmboy1tn

looks great, you will have it up and running soon 8)

Mooseherder

We made some progress last week while we were at the property.
It was exciting to finally be putting it back together.
Everything we moved was by 4 wheeler, the Duece truck, Farm Jacks, Come Alongs and brute force.
I now fit into some Jeans I haven't been able to wear for a year. ;)
The Mill Carriage probably weighs as much as a car.
My brothers and wife were a big help as usual.  I can't thank them enough.
Laying the first 6x6.  Oh what a feeling. :)

Here is a picture of a section of the old Track.  I extended the track by a Foot.  
6 inches each side.

The Carriage had been stored under tarp and stayed exactly the way it had been put there with the exception of the Dog Shafts rusting.  I got them loosened up and will give them a shot of Rust Reaper on my next visit.

We hauled it up with the Duece.  Just had to reposition the Truck about 4 times using Come Alongs and a Farm Jack to line it up with the Track Guide Rails.  We positioned it on some new and old Beams while waiting on finalizing the Guide Rails that we secured to the Beams.
I spent about 180 dollars on Hardware, Screws and Anchors for the Mill Track.
You don't get much for that anymore. :(

When the Rails were finalized we got her on the Track by Come Along. :)

The Happy Crew.

The next day, I cleaned it up some and it awaits some new Paint. (next trip)
There she is.  About 3 days more work to do to be sawing some Lumber! ;)
Until we meet again.

bandmiller2

Herder glad your making progress,now you know why bandmills are so popular.Take your time leveling and aligning,for a machine so heavy and massive their very sensitive to misalignment.I hope your planning a building over it after all this work, nothing worse than snow and ice all over everything.Have a nice wood plank floor to stand on concrete is tough in the winter.It will all be worth it when your in the sawyers box watching some of that nice Maine pine pass through the saw.Frank C.

sawsmith

i have to agree with bandmiller2. keep it under roof, after going thru all this work even something as simple as the sun shining on the blade will heat it up enough to make it not work properly after the first few hours of light.

Mooseherder

So here we are 8 years after the mill purchase and making a little progress.  I haven't worked on it for quite some time because it's so far away and there's other stuff that needs doing when we are there.  Lee and his Dad's Circle Mill Journey reminded and inspired me to get on the stick so on this past trip we really went to town.  My brother and I built this.  We started with the lumber on Saturday and I got the metal for it on Friday.  We are done with this part except for the front door.  I'll get to that in August along with moving the log deck to the right side of the building.  The motor and PTO is being cleaned and painted now and I hope to have it running next trip.  I still have to move a sawdust conveyor into the pit, install the cable drum and line everything up.
Later on will be another truckload of cement to the left of the building for the edger, resaw and chipper.
I decided on 10 foot walls and will tie in a left wing down the road.  I'll also build a wall to separate the motor from the husk and operators room.

fishpharmer

Wow, looks really good!!  Congrats on the progress. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

slider

That framing looks stout .nice job.
al glenn

Mooseherder

SPD748

Get 'em Moose!

I'm glad my project inspired someone to make theirs happen smiley_clapping

Now I'm going to have to get cracking on a building/shed to match yours.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Mooseherder

There was a little progress on the Mill last week while we were on Vacation.  We do nothing but work on these so called Vacations but still enjoy it.  My brother painted the Skid, PTO and Housing around the motor.  The motor itself was clean after he cleaned and prepped it so it didn't need paint and that saved some time.  Here it is at his place before we brought it to the mill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYXbXcHL700

Mooseherder

And putting it in place.
Some portions maybe blurry because Apple products don't play nice with Microsoft products. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zTNh5xofA4

raptorman01

everything looks great so far, I have a question though, with the entire unit mounted low on the concrete like that, do you have room for the blade to be mounted on the spindle and spin??? looks like it is too close to the ground?? thanks and keep up the good work..
1900's Frick 01, Norwood LM2000, F250 P.S.,F350 P.S., CAT D3B, New Holland T5050 FEL, TN75 FEL, 5030 FEL, Stihl 034,310,210. etc. all thanks to the Lord and lots of hard work...

Mooseherder

Nothing is actually mounted yet and there are plenty of adjustments that will have to be made but the Blade clearance should be fine.  Next projects are the scissor mechanism that holds the hydraulic hoses overhead in between the Carriage and Husk.  The Cable Drum spool needs mounted.  The spool shaft was mounted thru the the Rail wood at its last home.  I may raise the tracks instead.  Plenty more needs to be done. 

dgdrls

Nice work Mh,  I love seeing these circle mill projects come together.

Look forward to some videos of you milling with it.

Best
DGDrls

bandmiller2

Bandmilling is an overgrown hobby, circular milling is a minor industry. Glad your making progress, are you planning to live near the mill later.?? Frank C.

Mooseherder

Had I bought a Bandmill there is a good possibility that I'd be an experienced Sawyer by now. ;)
The good thing is I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  We plan on living up there a few months every year when we retire.  I think Grandchildren are going to change our plans though.  It's a wonderful spot just too DanG far away.

btd

Have you made any lumber with this mill yet? It looks like you have done a very good job with the  setup and the building is impressive also. I am new to the forum and I have been working on taking apart my grandfather's old circle mill and some parts are lane as well, mostly home made though other than the headblocks and arbor. Anyway I would be curious to see any more progress on this mill, and any tips would probably be a help.

Mooseherder

I haven't made any lumber with this mill yet.  It was a fully operational Cedar fencing mill that kept a few people busy back in its day.  The previous owner and I are the ones who took it apart and moved it to our place.  Unfortunately the progress on this mill won't happen until next years work Vacation. :'(
If you're going to be taking your Granddaddy's mill apart make sure you document and take plenty of pictures. 

btd

I have most everything home now only a couple of pieces of iron for the track  and the main shaft  from the pto to bring home now. I set out to take lots of pictures but ended up only taking a few here and there. Tried posting some last week but I am not to swift with technology, good job for my wife I guess. Its hard to get alot done with a job and other commitments so hopefully you can make the most of your vacation time.

Mooseherder

Hard to believe I'm 10 years into this process. ::) :-[ :-\ :D  My reason for not working more on it this year is I did a lot of TSI in my woodlot, mowed a lot of grass, took a daily nap and cooked a lot of food on my grill.  Made a lil more progress on the building putting up removable panels that lock into each other and come off quickly on each side of the mill track.  I had made some front doors last year while up there.  I ran out of paint and energy for now so I'll paint it next time or the time after that.

I also organized the building.  It's amazing the amount of stuff one collects.  I have 6 gas containers there and 5 here.  Here is my northern scrench collection.  I haven't counted how many are here in my garage.  I know someone out there is drooling right about now. ;D

WDH

You are scrench rich.  Say that ten times fast.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

You should see my screwdriver collection.  ;)

WDH

A scrench is a screwdriver too, so you are double dipping. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

And now my favorite type screws are torques making everything I have obsolete.  Regular and Phillips should be outlawed. :D

bandmiller2

Moosedrover, please kick this project up a notch I want to see sawdust before the grim reaper catches up to me. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks good Moose. Now you can have a big STEW cooking and invite us over to look at your screw drivers.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

I have restarted and am reworking this whole project.  Decided to raise the Tracks off the concrete and put it on 6x6 cross ties.  One reason was to avoid having to notch the Track like the old one was.  This notch is where the cable drum shaft went thru.   I had saved this portion of the old beam for reference.  They protected what was left of the Track with tin from sawdust that was shooting down into the pit.

First had to take the side enclosures off the building and roll the Carraige out and off the rails.

Then focused on raising the Tracks.  It is 44 feet long.  Thankfully my attempt to jack up the Track up as one unit worked.  Otherwise,  it would have been a lot more work.  I put a bottle jack under a cross tie in the pit and jacked there first and worked outward in two directions with 2 jacks under the steel support braces.

The pit floor had never been poured with concrete.  I had focused on the side walls during the pour.  It took 12 bags mixed in a tub as my punishment.

Now the fun begins with painting.  The Track is done.  I am halfway done with the cross ties.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Herder, good thing you don't have a Detroit Diesel I wouldn't want to be sequestered in a tin shed with a screamer. Are you planning windows or electric lights, looks like it may be dark in the sawyers box. Good lighting on the carriage and husk is important especially to spot hard wear and small stones in the bark and making milling decisions. Glad your back at it. Frank C.

customsawyer

Making some great progress I see. It looks great.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

How are you tying in your husk to your track?  I'm also assuming you're raising your husk up, as well.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

There will be a wall built in between the Motor room and Sawyer's area after start up.  The motor room will also become the tool room as I have that set up already.  The Sawyers room will have to be modified along with sections of my building walls on both sides next to the Tracks.  The other side wall will have to be modified to accomodate the boards coming off the saw onto the roller conveyor.  There isn't enough light or space in there but that will be addressed after I have the layout working.  The building was a rush job while on a vacation and I knew it would be modified later.  I did a horrible job documenting and taking pictures taking things apart.  A lot of cogitating and cypering going on right now many years later especially with the Cable Drum assembly and the overhead sissor mechanism that carries the hydraulic lines to the Carraige.  There is so much more to do with no instructions.  Only memories of taking it apart too long ago.  All this stuff is heavy and working by myself is a challenge.   The off bearing rollers are in my way right now but way too heavy to move without a tractor.  If It was spun around 180 degrees it would be perfect.  I need 3 more people to show up all at the same time. :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on August 25, 2017, 08:01:50 AM
How are you tying in your husk to your track?  I'm also assuming you're raising your husk up, as well.
Yes, I am raising the Husk as well.  I bought two 6x6 yesterday that will go under the Tracks and Husk Frame.  The Husk Frame side has a big enough notch that gives me some adjustment room for the cable drum shaft.  The 6x6 will be bolted to the floor.  The Tracks and husk will be bolted to the 6x6.  I have to figure something out that allows me lead adjustments.  Do you think this link will be enough?   This is another area I failed to document properly.  Ron, How soon could you and Jeff get up here?! :D

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 25, 2017, 08:26:01 AM
Ron, How soon could you and Jeff get up here?! :D

Depends how deep of pockets you have.   :D

Lead adjustments are made at the mandrel bearings, not at the track.  You want your track perpendicular to the husk and attached.  Your description sounds fine.  Run your track straight off the ones at the husk.  If you don't, you'll have a thickness problem from end to end.  The guide track is the critical one.

All the cable drums I've been around have hung under the track.  The only thing you need above the cable line is the top of the drum.  That usually is enough to clear the husk.  I've been around ones that use a single cable, and ones that use 2 cables.  The single ones work on friction and a lot of loops.  The 2 cable system uses one for the front and one for the back.  Usually the back one snaps before the front one. 

I'm curious how your pantograph works.  The ones I've always seen have always gone out away from the sawyer.  Those mills always had a sawyer's cab.  I don't see where you'll have room to go that way.   Depending how you rig things up, you might have hoses hanging underneath that will reduce your clearance. 

bandmiller2

Herder, it helps if you have a bolt and lock nut in a heavy short section of angle iron to push the arbor bearing to adjust lead. I would check you tube videos there are several mills there that use the pantograph system it should help with the geometry. Frank C.

Mooseherder

So if the top right of the Husk under the board splitter is fixed into the 6x6 with a bolt, then that allows or becomes a pivot point. The bolt on the bottom of the husk opposite of that pivot bolt moved left or right will give me the lead adjustment right?  I'm working my way backwards to see where my building modifications need to be.  Once the layout works I can work on a Sawyers cab area on the same side the logs are coming in.   I have more plans for the off bearing side with resaw and edger after.

My first attempt on the Pantograph a couple years ago didn't work but I think I've got it now.  Just have to get the Carriage back on the Track to see.  If not, there are only 2 other ways it could go.
I am looking for housing that would hold the cable drum shaft now. 

Ron Wenrich

No, your husk is stationary.  You don't want that to be moving around.  You want that to be as steady as can be.  Your pivot point is in your mandrel.  If you have 3 bearings, you loosen the center bearing and adjust your mandrel left or right. When you loosen at the front bearing, your pivot point is on your rear bearing.  If you loosen from your rear bearing, your pivot point is your front bearing.  An 1/8" movement at the center is worth a whole lot more than a movement further out on your arc.  Most guys work from the front bearing to adjust lead.

Mooseherder

Okay, now I got ya.
I'll get a picture of the mandrel adjustment screws tommorrow.  I think there is one at each of the 3 bearings.  It was there all along but now I know what its for. :)
Edit:
I found an older picture of the mandrel before painting.  You can see the adjustment areas to the left of my hand.

Mooseherder

Here they are.

Got a coat of paint on the Carriage.  The back carriage beam has to be replaced because it is rotten in the back corner.  I am going to continue with layout for now but It'll be another obstacle before start up.  I got the 16' PT 6x6 already.  It's gonna be a blast rebuilding . ::)
Thankfully they had already replaced the front beam at some point.

For those not interested in Sawmills I've started a second row of screnches in the tool area.;D

Mooseherder

I got the Carriage back onto the Tracks with a come a long and ramps after finishing the Ties and painting.

It didn't make sense to hook up anything else because it would have to be taken apart when I replace the Carriage beam.  I've decided to wrap this up for the season.  Other projects need attention here before winter.  Got one side done.  Until next time folks. ;)

JRWoodchuck

For those not interested in Sawmills I've started a second row of screnches in the tool area.;D

Do those kind of people actually exist?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

customsawyer

See if you just stayed down south you wouldn't have to wrap it of for the season. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

We will be seeing you soon Jake.  These northern folks is crazy. :D

WDH

Get out before the glaciers get a mile thick  :)

Magicman

It's good to see that you were able to make some progress on your sawmill.  Looks good!   8)

Be sure to get a cone of Ice Cream to go before you leave.   cone_1

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I had an orange flavored cone dipped in butterscoth a few nights ago.  It was purty dang good.  Had a craving for one last night but it felt like winter out there so I settled for carrot cake. :)

Magicman

I can believe that but just what is this "Winter" thing of which you speak??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

That lane looks like a tractor mill with a lot of additions, some I  have never seen. If I am right it will have EM casting numbers except they all used some 1SM parts. Anyhow , can't wait  to see it running.

SwampDonkey

Hey Moose, great little project to keep you interested and occupied while back in the stomping grounds.  8) I hear you on working vacations. That's all I've ever known. Well, except Pig Roast vacation. ;) :D  And yes, that is one long haul from Fl to northern Maine, but I'm sure it is worth it. Next summer I'll be back on the farm in a new house. One of the first things I am purchasing is a new rocking chair for the porch. :)

So what do ya think, another 3 years before sawing some wood?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I hope to have a trial run next summer and build from there the folowing year. :D
My BIL Steve showed up today and wanted to work on the mill so we did.  He was a tremendous help.  His day job he runs 2 buildings that fabricate at the Ship yard and is known there as the go to problem solver.    We got the cable drum assembly situated and the Husk lined up.  It still needs adjustments but gets me closer.  I need some parts to finish the task but part of the puzzle has come together.   The gentleman I bought this Mill from would be here to guide if he was healthy but unfortunately has some very serious health issues leaving him unavailable.  He wouldn't even be able to answer a question.  Him and I took it apart.  We worked very good together and is the type of person you like to work beside.  This operation I bought was his third that he had built and he was proud of it.  Anyways, it turns out we had to notch 3 inches on the Husk side of the Track beam for the Cable drum shaft  to line up and work.  I can reinforce and secure from beneath the notch now because it is elevated so it will not be an issue.

bandmiller2

Herder, I hesitate to mention this but common pillow block bearings make me nervous. I believe they are a malleable cast and under a shock load could crack. If the one buy the collars should break guess which way that spinning toothed wheel will head. If you have three bearings it should be safe. My first circular mill had two bearings. I put a "U" bolt upside down just behind the collar bearing not touching or in the way that would catch the arbor shaft if the bearing broke. Maybe I'am overly cautious but that spinning wheel of death is not to be taken lightly. Must be tough to be down south and thinking of what you could be doing on the mill. Have a good winter. Frank C.

Mooseherder

I appreciate all the input and concerns so please do not hesitate.  There is a third pilllow block I hadn't posted a picture of.  I'll be making the tie /track and track/concrete brackets over winter while away to move along when we get back.  I spent the day sealing up the building and putting things away. ;)

Jeff

Not sure if this was mentioned, but be sure to back off your belts first whenever you are loosing bearings or setting lead. Lock your bearings down after an adjustment, then retighten belts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

That's good to know.  :)
I painted a wrench for my scrench wall.

grouch

Somebody's being funny by putting that itty bitty hole in the end to hang that monster.

Or is that for a key ring?
Find something to do that interests you.

Mooseherder

My guess is 25 to 30 lbs.  It would be a good one for attaching gas station restroom keys. :D

Kbeitz

I got one like that somewhere... Maybe I should do something with it...
Paint makes it look good.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

My choices of color on hand were black or red. ;)

WDH

I actually prefer the Red and Black  ;D. 

caveman

Moose.  Your mill project is coming along well.  Thank you for the pictures.  Hurry back south or you may start talking funny and driving slow.
Caveman

Mooseherder

We are in Georgia on our way back now.   Should be home around 1am. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 06, 2017, 07:32:53 PM
We are in Georgia on our way back now.   Should be home around 1am. :)

Running from the storm... Your not the only one....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

Actually, We are running towards it.  I stopped for supplies in Virginia and Fuel in South Carolina just in case.  Now I own 4 more fuel cans to add to my fuel can hoard.

Mooseherder

I took my temporary enclosures off to work on my life project the last 4 days.  The back Carriage beam had to be replaced before anything else could move forward.  Took my time blocking and bracing each piece of steel top and underneath along with 4 axles independently.  The axle hubs let me slide them inward giving me room to slide the beam right in. The beam slid in on the axle tubes.  Once the beam was in position, The axle hubs were slid back underneath the beam.

They had added the steel corners after this beam.  It meant I had to cut the thru bolts with a sawzall after digging in under the steel plate.

The straight 6x6 beam I had saved last year warped over the winter.  Had to get another one.  Painted before installation. 

Mooseherder

Ready for the new beam.

Working alone had to use the atv to move in place.  Then lowered onto skids on top of the tracks to slide into position.

Magicman

Another step on your journey.  smiley_thumbsup

I can chuckle and say to myself; "I have been there before".  Looks like I need to be there now to give you a helping hand.  :)

Mooseherder

Sure would welcome it Magicman! ;)
Getting there, removing bracing and blocks.
Then my neat blocking pile.  Yeah, dat was a lot of blocking but made things manageable.

Mooseherder

The Carriage is now level and ready.  This sub puzzle Done.  Next three sub puzzles are the Pantograph, the Cable drum and the Husk to track alignment and bolt down.  This will happen similtanously.  

thecfarm

A very nice thread you have going here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

pwrwagontom

Thanks for documenting!
Great photos, etc.

Keep your eye on the prize, many wouldn't be able to tackle a long term project like this...

Looking forward to your progress.
Never give an inch

SwampDonkey

I'll have to catch up on the weekend and read your progress. Can't keep my eyes open right now. Tough ground for spacing saw and hot will do it.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I've been helping my BIL at his hunting camp the past week so no progress here but had tried to remove the injector pump on my JD 4045 Powertech before leaving so it could be gone thru while I was away.   It wouldn't come out so today I figured I needed better access.  The motor turns good but hasn't been started in 12 years.  Fuel is getting to the pump.
No fuel coming out so the pump has to come off.  The threaded and keyed shaft of the pump goes into this mechanism.
I tried with a puller and broke one of the low grade puller bolts.  Tried taps with wood block. No go.  Took shroud, radiator, fan and guard off for better access.  Got a diesel mechanic coming over tomorrow.  What is holding this thing on!?

Mooseherder

He had it off in a minute.  Used a bigger hammer than me to tap the puller. ;)
I was scared to break it.  It was also tapered.  The taper was doing it's job holdin' on I tell ya.
Now I need to find a service manual for a JD TO4045  so he can time it when it gets back.
If this isn't the problem it probably means Injectors next.

customsawyer

Nice work as always. Keep it up .
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moodnacreek

If that roosa master style sits for a few years it can be very hard to completely purge and prime it. My son didn't start our 310 case for 3 years and it took me a day to get it to run with a full tank that is higher than the engine. Others have given up. When you get it going , don't let it sit to long.          My lane is manual set and I am interested in your powered set works.

Don_Papenburg

If that is like the 4219  and 4239  you need to stop the engine flywheel at the mark through the window in front of the  flywheel on the left  and then pull the pump .  The guy that rebuilds /adjust the pump should know to return it to that spot for install .   
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

Thanks, I'll ask him when I pick it up.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 05, 2018, 08:32:32 PM
He had it off in a minute.  Used a bigger hammer than me to tap the puller. ;)
I was scared to break it.  It was also tapered.  The taper was doing it's job holdin' on I tell ya.
Now I need to find a service manual for a JD TO4045  so he can time it when it gets back.
If this isn't the problem it probably means Injectors next.

Oh yeah, if there is a woodruff key in there it is tapered like say on my brush saw shaft. I have a good puller (2 sizes). One time I used the smaller one to pull a pulley wheel off a planer motor to find out the shaft was threaded. Pulled her right over the threads. :D

caveman

Thank you for sharing your pictures and experiences with this project.  It looks like you are getting your ducks in a row now.
Caveman

Mooseherder

Just an update on how I closed out the project for the season.   Took a step back and changed out the 3-8ft 6x6 under the deck husk that ties in with 12 footers.  The 8 footers probably would have tied in fine but I know down the road I would not have been happy with it.  The hydraulic deck had been put on the slab before the building was built around it.  I need to build out a Sawyers Booth next summer and modify the opposing wall opening a couple feet for the Pantograph.  

Got things lined up close but it isn't bolted down yet.

The Injector Pump wasn't finished before I left so it's at the shop until I get back there.

Mooseherder

Looks like they were running with only one Dog.  I am going to make another.

Mooseherder

I found a twin for my Red Wrench to hang along side with on the scrench wall.

Mooseherder

So I have taken this project as far as I can before completion.  Picked up the Injector pump in May but didn't install or start it because of several other projects going on.  The Pantograph and Saw Cab area require some minor building modifications. The rest of Mock Up is done and just needs to be bolted down to the concrete before start up.  I'll be moving the Mill to the FF Commerce section For Sale area soon because we are thinking about putting this property on the Market.  

Magicman

I am glad that PatD and I visited when we did. 

A really neat place.

Good cooking.

And fond memories.  That is our truck and camper in the background  on the right.

Mooseherder

It was great having you two visit.. :)

SwampDonkey

A long ways from home, for both of you. ;)

Magicman

Yes, 1,893 miles from home.  move_it

SwampDonkey

You went right to the far corner to. ;D

Mooseherder

30 hours of driving one way.  Looks like I will be there for Maple Sugar season this year. :)

pwrwagontom

Sorry to hear that you're selling- I've really enjoyed this thread and following the progress.

But best wishes to you, and I hope it works out!

Tom
Never give an inch

Thank You Sponsors!