iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic leak in timber harvester

Started by True North, January 08, 2010, 04:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I have a timber harvester with the hydraulic motor to lift the carriage. Well, the bolt holding the worm gear on broke and the gear came right off. I got it reassembled, but now I have a fairly good hydraulic leak coming out where the shaft comes through the metal plate from the motor (not on the motor side, but on the side of the gear). Would anyone know why the leak could be occurring?

motohed

Is there or was there a seal in the gear ? My guess would be that the bearing maybe on it's way out , hence the seal leaking . What was the reason the bolt sheared in the first place ? More information with some pictures would help . Make and model would sure help .

Brad_S.

I can answer the why it broke part. Fatigue. After quite a few mills experienced that they changed away from the brass gear TrueNorth has and used an enclosed system.
Pretty exciting when that baby let loose, eh TN? The higher the head was at the time, the more the excitement! Throw in a log under it at the time and triple the fun! Did it come down on a log and whack the guide arm? If so, you probably also bent the guide arm roller bolts and will need to replace them and re-align the arm.
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know the oil is coming from the motor, running down the shaft, through the opening then dripping off the gear. I had the same issue. Ended up sending the motor out for a rebuild.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

dutchman

There are 2 good sources here for parts and info.
Lion Country Bandsaws , Ken Clouser, Forum member Clouserfarm.
Carolina Machinery Sales, CMS sponsor on the left side of page.

I would think you've at least blown the seal.

True North

Thanks for the input guys. I did talk to Ken and Carolina and both were very helpful. Fortunately I did not have a log on the bed when it let loose 8)

It seems like everything has decided to go wrong in the past week, as I have had other problems with it too. I blame cold weather :(  I may decide to park it and saw again after it warms up.

thanks again!

bandmiller2

TN,no biggie pull the gearbox off and take it in to warm up.Worm gears by their nature are a push pull load check the box endplay and bearings for looseness.Endplay is usally adjusted with shims at the bearing covers,you want zero play no binding.If you can read the seal number good if not remove it and a seal dealer can measure it.If your carefull you can leave the shaft in place and remove the seal.One way.drill smal hole on each side of the seal being carefull not to hit the housing.Slightly blunt the end of two drywall screws on your grinder and screw them into the holes,with a little luck and a tailwind they will backout the seal.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!