iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawyers gadgets

Started by KiwiJake, November 03, 2003, 12:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiJake

Have you guys seen one of these we call it the "Rhino CAN hook" :), I find it's one of those gadgets that just make your life easier, it comes in handy in the most useful ways, mostly for its angular wedge like form. eg.
1)It rolls logs repetitively with it's spring.
2)lifts logs off the ground so you can stick a skid under it or chainsaw it up.
3)Stops logs rolling on slopes.
4)If you fall back while trying to roll a log it flips down and stops the log.
5)If you've got two you can use one as a wedge while it rests on the ground giving a log stearing abillity.
6)It's also got a huge handle so you can really get some leverage behind it.

Another gadget that I really like is the "Black rat" jack of all jacks, so many times we've been at shows where the logs have been too big to move, takes peanuts to move those giants around.

One thing that I havent come across yet is a shovel rake, I'm gonna build one tomorrow before I go down south for the shows, after shovelling truck loads of sawdust one starts to consider alternatives. A shovel rake would take seconds to clear the sawdust away, I'm thinkin of a meter wide curved flat bit of 2.5mm alloy about 500mm deep with a long handle, just rake the stuff away into a pile (why didn't I think of that years ago ::))

solidwoods

Another good gadget is to take a smaller size Cant Hook (a mini cant hook), and shorten the handle. This makes a light weight Hook for use right on the mill,  so you don't have to lug a full size heavy hook.

I also keep a 3' section of tape measure on the mill.  It's from a tape measure that broke at the spring, so the measuring tape is still fine.  
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Tom

I still find a hook-a-roon to be one of the handiest tools around a portable mill, along with a cant hook.  Next comes a shovel and axe and then a chainsaw.  'Course a good ripping hammer is handy too.  You sharpen the underside of the claw and use it like a hatchet to go after nails.  When you find them then the "nail gitter" is right there. :)

Mark M

Hi Jake

Where can you get those Rhino hook? That looks like a pretty good deal.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!