iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood blades

Started by r44astro, April 25, 2012, 09:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r44astro

I almost have my mill done. I bought Norwood Premium blades 167" 1.25. My question is has anyone had experience with these blades? They cost around $30 each. I also bought a couple cobalt blades from Norwood  for sawing through timbers riddled with nails, do they work?
Thanks

homesteader shane

I'v ran the Premium blades  for 7 years and I like them I'v never tride anything else. Iv had them resharped 3 times now and still cut like butter.Iv never tride the cobalt blades but I would like to for old barn beams
good luck

hamish

The Norwood bands are very good, and have the potential to last a very long time.  Do you intend on shaprening your own? sending them out? or just replacing?  I found there bands somewhat pricey starting out and as training bands (you will cut into your log rests and dog at some point in time) I chose a cheaper alternative to beat up a bit first, and they helped me sort out the sharpner and homemade setter at a much lesser expense than the Goldlines.  Before I get beat up about woodmiser re-sharp etc...we have no such thing here in Canada, to get a band re-set and sharpened can cost upwards of $20 for a 12' band, and likewise the cheapest 12' band to be had is $20, and both require shipping and taxes on top of things, so for me getting a sharpener and making a setter made alot of sense, but most importnatly teaches me alot.

Can you ask your sharpening service to increase or decrease the set in your bands?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

r44astro

Quote from: hamish on April 25, 2012, 11:39:45 PM
The Norwood bands are very good, and have the potential to last a very long time.  Do you intend on shaprening your own? sending them out? or just replacing?  I found there bands somewhat pricey starting out and as training bands (you will cut into your log rests and dog at some point in time) I chose a cheaper alternative to beat up a bit first, and they helped me sort out the sharpner and homemade setter at a much lesser expense than the Goldlines.  Before I get beat up about woodmiser re-sharp etc...we have no such thing here in Canada, to get a band re-set and sharpened can cost upwards of $20 for a 12' band, and likewise the cheapest 12' band to be had is $20, and both require shipping and taxes on top of things, so for me getting a sharpener and making a setter made alot of sense, but most importnatly teaches me alot.

Can you ask your sharpening service to increase or decrease the set in your bands?
Thanks so much for both replies. I plan on building a setter and sharpener. I am sure I'll do much worse than saw into a log rest and dog if I know me! It's nice to hear they are good blades.
Bill

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: r44astro on April 25, 2012, 09:31:50 AM
I almost have my mill done. I bought Norwood Premium blades 167" 1.25. My question is has anyone had experience with these blades? They cost around $30 each. I also bought a couple cobalt blades from Norwood  for sawing through timbers riddled with nails, do they work?
Thanks

We want pictures!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

postoakzevfa

I started out with Norwood blades on my LM2000, then switched to TimberWolf; and I swear they are the same blades at a lower cost. Both work very well on the Norwood  -  Just sayin'.

dboyt

Good call to get a couple of cobalt blades.  No matter what people tell you about their logs, you will find metal.  I milled a walnut that had fence wire in it (no one else would touch it).  I cut through at least 50 nails and strands of wire, and the blade was still doing fine, until it hit a 3/8" bolt embedded in the wood.  Still, one slab would pay for several new blades.  And the metal "inlay" made for an amazing grain pattern.  I just hope I remember not to run it though my planer!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

r44astro

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post pics soon. I have cut  some live oak, water oak and an old telephone pole. I have not run into a rest or dog yet but twice I pulled the blade off. Used aluminum for my guards because that was what was laying around, big mistake the blades cut right into it and screwed up the set in a few teeth. The guard did it's job though, it contained the blade. I know one reason they call Water Oak "Water Oak" even in this drought the log was very wet. Oh and I just figured out finally how to coil a blade after watch Youtube over and over..
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!