iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Quote from: paul case on February 15, 2018, 07:45:40 PM
I was just gona ask about that busted log in the second picture. Will it even make cants for dunnage?

PC

He's coming sat to get a check, I'm going to ASK why is that junk in my yard.
I did cull 7 other logs. ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I have considered charging a disposal fee for cull logs.
A mill I used to sell to would load it back on your truck before you leave.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

starmac

Our mill grades the first 5 loads we haul in off a sale, then a random one every 15 to 20 loads and adjusts scale accordingly, they pay by the ton, but it depends on the average log scale.
IF they see junk in the load before they stack it, they will pull a random scale and you will get paid for inferior scale for the next 15 to 20 loads, so sending in junk can be costly.
They do not care and actually prefer you to send in junk, they degrade the scale enough and just cut the junk for firewood which is worth as much as logs to them anyway.

In my way of thinking they cut their best logs for firewood, any thing over 25 inches gets buck up for firewood till it gets down to fit on the mill. They do not dock us for oversize, but I want to cry sometimes when we haul them some big logs.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

I'd been thinking about a bigger chipper for the junk, Easier to get rid of that way.

I sell them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

WE were interrupted 4 or 5 times yesterday while edging. That made me think I should start a few policies that some of youall have posted on the forum.
$1 each piece from this pile, leave stack tidy and put money in this box.
$5 charge to unload your truck, or was it $20?
business hours from 3 to 5.

I dont think any of these would help as people show up whenever and would not or could not safely unload their own logs and they want to interact with the person in charge.

We had 3 people bring logs that I had to unload, 1 guy came wanting 7 boards and I sent him home with 10 for the price of 7 ;D and 1 guy came and got 2 bundles of slabs at 6pm.

I dont mind that much. We only edged out 2800 bdft of 1x yesterday. Pretty good day of edging for us. Only had 1 board that stuck in the that we had to stop for.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Teach him well.I can't believe some of the junk you get.  ::) My Father would of kicked me in the if I would of even thought about putting that is a load of logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I don't mind the good, bad and ugly. But some are too ugly.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

By the looks of it, you be stocking up for mud season eh?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I hope so 4x4, Going to be 60°F here next week. ::)
I bet the first week of March the road bans will go up.
I'm going to pass on your wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

About 15 minutes from me,Jay Maine,the roads are posted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Around here you absolutely no trucks with mounted loaders.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on February 16, 2018, 08:44:31 PM
About 15 minutes from me,Jay Maine,the roads are posted.

What, :o
I hope we have at least 2 more weeks.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Southside logger on February 16, 2018, 11:11:39 PM
Around here you absolutely no trucks with mounted loaders.

That's all we have here, mostly.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

There is a mix of both out here...the big mechanized guys pretty much only run tractor and trailers without loaders and a few have tractors with loader trailers and then theres a lot of guys running truck/pups and then theres the triaxle guys with loaders on them then a couple dump truck log hauling guys
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Had a last minute order come in wed afternoon needs it monday morning...welp we worked all weekend and got it done today:

Boy am I happy we met the deadline

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Good to hear - lot of work there for sure.  How many BF?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Well, I just finished reading this whole thread. I'd visited on occasion but never from the start. Pretty interesting reading, neat storage buildings and neat toys there Peter. We're  chasing a different market and I will never have the operation you do nor do I have inclination to work as hard  :D but is is good reading.

A few weeks back there were comments about off-road fuel. Since I run gas I am unable to find off road fuel but I do keep my receipts and a detailed record of the fuel I buy for off-road use and turn it in to my accountant at tax time and they fill out the appropriate form to the IRS to get my road taxes back. This would apply to any sawyer or logger buying fuel for your chainsaws, mills, and other related equipment. Farmers, commercial fisherman, et. al. who buy taxed fuel for off-road purposes can apply for their road tax refund if they just keep the proper records and documentation and file for it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

Nice work 4x4, on time and those stacks look picture perfect.
thumbs-up
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

4x4, Good job.  Beautiful view. Too much snow.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on February 18, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
Good to hear - lot of work there for sure.  How many BF?

10 mbf was the cutstock..alot of thin material in there (5/8") and that means alot of footage loss due to kerf.  I lost count of how many packs of cants we went through but had to buy a tt load from a neighboring sawmill to have enough.  We used cants I had already cut that was banded and ready to load.  I think we broke down at least 8 of my own packs (all are over 1mbf in a pack)  and then we used iirc 4 of the other guys packs.  The left over ones I bought in I'll just load on the truck and send to my guy
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Last load before mud.

$$$$ are getting thin this time of the year with buying all the logs, Putting a new starter in the Cat $300. $1600 for the pick up, Just sent the one ton in for a sticker. ::)  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

NorcalMatt

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but what is mbf?  A million board feet is a lot of lumber 😜

Ianab

Quote from: NorcalMatt on February 22, 2018, 10:10:32 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but what is mbf?  A million board feet is a lot of lumber 😜
The m in this case stands for 1,000. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!