iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steel wheels vs belted wheels

Started by Doug Wis, December 05, 2012, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

Have got about 200 hrs on my TK 1600  and am having trouble with tracking. reading the archives here and looking at my wheels I'm quite sure my belts  need replacing. It seems to me that as these belts wear down the  dimensions of the wheel will change slightly.   Replacing the wheels with steel is an option. Cooks has wheels for about $650 . I realize that this a ford vs chevy question, but what are you guys thoughts on this?
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

york

Hi,if your belts are worn,change them-then adjust the tracking.....

albert
Albert

Larry

On my TK-2000 they say to change belts every 250 hours.  I suppose it would be the same on the 1600.  I would put new belts on and give it a try before spending that kind of money on new wheels.  Might be some other issue with your tracking.  What kind of lube and how much are you using?

And this is coming from a guy that had steel wheels on his Kasco mill for 16 years.  They worked well and I liked not having to buy/change belts.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I would always use what your sawmill's manufacturer suggest/recommends.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Doug, I have thought more than once about changing over to the all steel wheels, especially after putting in a resaw that has the all steel wheels. But after only 200 hrs on the mill I would go ahead and replace the belts for now.  Sales and marketing have allot to do with all the available options with any type of machinery.  20 bucks in belts makes a bit more sense than 1300 bucks in wheels.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redbeard

B56 BF goodrich belts from local auto parts store.. Once you get mill tracked properly you shouldnt have to mess with it. Spin wheels forward 10 times under full tension back of blade should be 1/16 over or under flush with back side of wheels. Check both wheels. Then spin in reverse 10 revolutions blade should stay same. If not you need to adjust tracking. I had a major problem once, mill wouldnt hold tracking I finally found a crack in tracking plate with spindle welded to it on idle wheel. 90.00 Tk shipped new one. It was a head scratcher for me,  something to check if its not holding tracking. I think our mill heads our the same. Changing belts is always fun 1st time took several hrs. I would stick with belted wheels steel wheels eventually wear also just not as fast as belts.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

Boath types of bandwheels work fine.A large pile of belts could be bought with $650.00.I have had the same tight belts on my bandmill for 12 yrs. and they show no sign of failure,also I lube with oil on a wick.Breaking bands plays hobb with belts if you can avoid it your belts will live a long happy life.Less tension on the bands helps extend their life greatly,boath band and belt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cypressstump

If I am not mistaken Timberking used to offer their mills with all steel wheels then switched to the belted ones. Must have been a compelling reason to do so.

Call ol' Will and get his input. 1-800-942-4406  I'm sure he has all the pros and cons associated to both types of wheels.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

york

cstump,you are right-somewhere on the net Will Johnson has a vid.all about why they went to belted band wheels-could be utube?
albert
Albert

Doug Wis

I took you guys advice and replaced the belts . Got Gates B56 at Auto parts store. Called TK and got advice how to change them  and really went quite well. Was up and running in about an hour with almost no cuss words  that Matt at TK assured me I would need. Tracked beautifuly after changing them with no adjustment needed. Thanks for your input. I had heard many stories about how hard they were to change guess I was scared to try the first time.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

bandmiller2

Good show Doug,if I recall I used a couple of old butter knives and patiance,kinda like putting a tire on a rim,small bites. Frank C.

ladylake

I just put new ones on mine, down to just over 10 minutes each.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Larry

Steve, do you replace belts with the wheels on the machine? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

Yes I leave them on the machine, I clamp a vice grip on the idle side to keep it from turning and put the drive side in gear.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

the belts that go on my 40 are not as tight as last described.  I always wondered if a tighter belt would be better.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redbeard

10 min. Steve! You need to make a video! :)  1/2 hr per wheel for me although I can put the Orange neopremes on in 10 min. but it takes awhile to get them broke in. I havent used them for quite some time. I use to swear by them but I like the automotives best now. Other than changing them. I use big flat head screw drivers all edges rounded over and smooth. Warm soapy water and I also clean the grooves out really good and keep every thing really clean when stretching them on.  Keeping the steel edges clean on each side of belt edge helps prolong the life of belt, I do that on every other blade change with a small flat head screw driver.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

The orange neoprene belts require great care on instalation.Read and follow the directions to the letter.If they are stretched on without the proper procedure and lube one section will be thicker or thinner than the outher and cause vibration.We tried a set on the LT-70 that vibrated,after a short time pulled them off.If you have loose belts it won't hurt to try tight, and the outher way around. Frank C.

Doug Wis

Redbeard, please expand on your photos of what looks like a wheel cleaner. 

Thank You Sponsors!