iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak video

Started by CCC4, September 26, 2013, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Videod a couple Oaks this morning.

***NOT AN INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO*** just ran across these while finishing up a 300 acre tract...nothing special.

Thanks for watching!  popcorn_smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3oEf5nCCRY&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

treeslayer2003

looks good, that last red oak was nice.

CCC4

Thanks treeslayer2003! LOL!

beenthere

Looks good to me. Thanks for posting.

A bit of sweat formed on my forehead just watching.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

Thanks beenthere! Much appreciated.

CCC4

Here's video #2...Fell this red oak up hill 1/4 away had a narrow slot to aim between young timber. Busted my tail when vacating the stump... dang rocks  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GT24pc3Vzk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

thecfarm

Nice job. Rocks? You want to see rocks,next time you come to Maine come to Gordon Hill. Your camera showed the tree on the ground. I did not see another rock. On my land there would be a few to trip over.   :D  And if I'm not careful,a rock to break the log on to. Looks like nice ground to work on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RayMO

Nice ! Just finished 75,000 ft of huge water oaks and looking forward to my next job of medium sized red and white oak. Those tall limb free trees made me drool a bit after fighting all the wooly water oak lol .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

CCC4

Quote from: thecfarm on September 27, 2013, 09:29:56 AM
Nice job. Rocks? You want to see rocks,next time you come to Maine come to Gordon Hill. Your camera showed the tree on the ground. I did not see another rock. On my land there would be a few to trip over.   :D  And if I'm not careful,a rock to break the log on to. Looks like nice ground to work on.

Thanks cfarm! LOL! Well, I fell over something! LOL! Yeh this tract has been good to work, prolly 70% nearly flat ground...but when you do find a draw to jump off into..it's a steep one usually. I will be glad to finish this unit...I've got a virgin set of timber to go to as soon as I finish. This tract has had about everything that can be offered in my region, the entire spectrum really, from sets of (5) and (6) cut tie log trees and 80' pine to squatty (2) cut oak and squatty bull pine and poles...oh and can't forget all the diseased and dead standing oak. It's been fun but last couple of weeks have been tough...ready to move on.  8)

CCC4

Quote from: RayMO on September 27, 2013, 02:33:11 PM
Nice ! Just finished 75,000 ft of huge water oaks and looking forward to my next job of medium sized red and white oak. Those tall limb free trees made me drool a bit after fighting all the wooly water oak lol .

Thanks RayMo! You know, our water oak here is tall and slick...that probably is a pisser if yours is all heavy limbed. Thanks man!

keen

Nice work!, perfect size wood for production.

WDH

I wish that I could make those perfect face cuts like you do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

QuoteI wish that I could make those perfect face cuts like you do.

You noticed that too. Spit those wedges outta there right on que.
He be good with a saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yes, I am very envious. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Quote from: beenthere on September 27, 2013, 10:41:16 PM
QuoteI wish that I could make those perfect face cuts like you do.

You noticed that too. Spit those wedges outta there right on que.
He be good with a saw.

Danny + BT,

I noticed that too and thought to mtyself, " why can't I do that"?.

Bruce

CCC4

Well, I read the above comments and sincerely appreciate the kind words! Thanks alot Men!

WDH

When making the face cut, what do you key on or how do you line up the saw to cut out that wedge without removing the saw from the cut at least once?

RPowers

I can't see the embedded vids here at work... some software issue. I can see urls to youtube and cut/paste them if someone wouldn't mind posting those in here for me. Or CCC4 can just post his youtube handle and I can search for that.

Thanks
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

CCC4

Quote from: WDH on September 29, 2013, 06:57:34 AM
When making the face cut, what do you key on or how do you line up the saw to cut out that wedge without removing the saw from the cut at least once?

Well, I wish I could give a good answer to that. I think that partly it is due to popping the opposite corner, you will hear it pop and feel it, then pull toward your close corner and do the same thing , only, the wedge will shoot out. I wish I had a better answer, ya know, something that at least sounded like I knew what I was talking about.  ;D

beenthere

CCC4
Do you make the first cut angled down, and then drop below to do a flat cut to the hinge wood?

Or do you do the flat cut and then angle up from below with the second cut (i.e. Humbolt method)?

Years ago (70's or early 80's) the Swede behind the Game of Logging, Soren Eriksson was in WI and I first saw his technique to use the sights on the saw to line up where the tree should drop, make the top angle cut down to get the length of the hinge, and then drop down to cut the flat cut. Thus able to watch through the first cut to see where/when the saw met the hinge. A few times I get the wedge to slide out easily, but not consistently as you do in your video.
But Soren's suggestions sure helped me improve my technique of felling trees.
Here is a link with drawing showing the Soren Erickson method.
http://chasepublic.com/?p=791
south central Wisconsin

Dave Shepard

Making the face cut is covered in detail in Jerry Berenak's Fundamentals of General Tree Work. He has some good illustrations of the different pivot points of the saw. Once you understand them it becomes much easier to line the cuts up and have the wedge fall right out of the face.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shortlogger

It may just be the angle from watching the video from my iPhone but I was a nervous wreck watching the first one just knew you were gonna rock your saw LOL
Don't feel bad about tripping over the rocks I think in a days time if I counted all the times I fall compared to the number of trees I fall my falls would surely outnumber the trees ....
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Peter Drouin

Nice lob, we all cut trees differently.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Some of us cut them poorly, at times.

Thank You Sponsors!