iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you always clamp the log or cant?

Started by StimW, August 22, 2014, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 23, 2014, 02:01:57 PM
Can you use just one clamp, or are they tied together? I've never felt the need for two clamps, I never use the one on the BX. Maybe because it isn't hydraulic. :D
They are controlled by the same joy stick.  One stick operates both clamps.  They both come up to the same height...adjustable from about 1/2" to about 10 or 11" no problem... On the ac 36 the cut pulls into the clamps.  I always clamp.  Two automatic things I have taught myself...let down the levers and bring in the clamps.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

I found a YouTube of an electric AC-36, but they don't show the clamp side too well. If you had a tapered log on there, would one clamp travel farther to provide even pressure on both clamps?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

one can get away with it when it happens, but not a real good practice, it will bite  in the rear, a clamp is pretty easy to do, it does not take much,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Banjo picker

Yes it would.. they would be the same height, but they come into the log until they get a bite.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

There is a pict. of one up and then down.... they are both identical just a few feet apart.  Banjo

Dave Shepard

Thanks! I've got a clear picture of how it works now. Two clamps seems like a good idea sawing away from the backstops. I would think with one, it might be hard to always secure the log. I know on my WM if I have a banana on the mill, it can move as I go past the clamp and it pulls the other end to the backstops.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I have wished for multiple clamps many times with irregular logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Knute

I always clamp. Sometimes leave the log turner as a clamp for the first top cuts.

giant splinter

I always clamp and have used the log turner along with it. Clamping is easy and quick so why not clamp it and call it good, it doesent need to be that tight to hold a cant or a log so why take a chance on destroying a fresh band.
roll with it

PineNut

I have had to use wedges on both sides of large logs on my Cook's MP32. Takes a little time to set it up. Also makes if difficult to get a square cant. But a log of that size doesn't move easily if plenty of wedges are used.

Thank You Sponsors!