iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my first sawmill !!

Started by shawnr, December 07, 2014, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Privacyleech

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 08, 2014, 02:09:35 AM
Quote from: shawnr on December 07, 2014, 08:03:01 PM

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to save them as something other than jpg's.

First of all, congratulations on acquiring a mill.

JPG format is the correct format for photos on this forum.

The process may seem a bit complicated but it's actually quite reasonable once you've done it a couple of time.

Instructions can be found here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,93.0.html

Herb

Thanks for the link! Ive been trying to figure it out too so I can post the new mill I just got. Happy Sawing!

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: goose63 on December 08, 2014, 05:30:48 AM
Now you have gone and done it saw dust addiction is a bad thing congrats  8)

x2!! I got my first sniff of fresh, Old Growth WRC dust when I was 24....I became a junkie and have been seeking bigger and bigger "highs" ever since. Cherry-dust just about tops it! Good looking wood. Glad it was saved from the hearth!
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

shawnr

Funny that you picked up on that Magicman....I do like red and my daily driver is a GMC Sierra in  Cardinal Red....
I do have an orange tractor though LOL!
Mainly, I'm planning to use the wood for a bunch of different projects as follows in no particular priority order:
Finish the rough sawn siding on my cabin, need about 50 or so more boards, was buying green sawn hemlock boards from the local mill near my camp in Deposit, NY and their prices were really hard to beat, so we'll see since I have no hemlock near home to cut and mill.
Would like to build a nice farm table with benches for the cabin.
Need (read "want") to build a little carport type roof off my shed to put my tractor under since it currently sits in one of those temporary shelters that about collapsed last week in a wet snowfall.
and the list goes on and on....
Fortunately, I have lots of quality timber around my home, mostly oak, maple, black cherry, and some truly huge poplars.  I have virtually no softwoods around my woodlot, but do have a nice stand of spruce on my cabin property, so I suppose I could bring the mill with me some day.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to finding some cool hunks of wood and seeing whats inside!
Kioti CK30 TLB, lots of Stihl Chain saws, WM LT 15 Wide

Kind Regards,
Shawn

Magicman

With that list you, your sawmill, and your red truck will fit in quite nicely here on the FF.  Share the joy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shawnr

Did I mention that my wife and I built our log home!  Loved building it and the logs were the easiest part (and most fun).  The only thing that I enjoyed more was actually clearing the lot because we started a year earlier and were not under any pressure.  Built the house in about 16 months with only hiring utility contractors and a mason. I remember my electrician saying "I'm not touching the logs, that's your job"! So I notched out all of the receptacles and switch boxes and drilled all the chase ways.
Over 10,000 lin/ft of knotty pine on all the ceilings, and my wife sanded it all to 220 grit.  She burned out 2 little Makita palm sanders in 3 months LOL.
House sits at the end of a 1/2 mile gravel driveway that puts us way back in the woods, surrounded by a few hundred acres of woods and old farm fields.
It really is beautiful and you'd never think that we are an hour from NYC.

Kind Regards,
Shawn

thecfarm

That looks nice!! Looks like the dog is happy too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shawnr

He was!  He was carrying around a new venison leg bone that I had saved for him.  He's a good boy and a great hunter!

Kind Regards,
Shawn

thecfarm

Kinda reminded of the dog that we lost a few years back. He would lay on the front lawn and watch over The C Farm property. Looks like you might have a view there?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks for the view of your home.  :)  Looks like you also have a nice view with all of those windows.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shawnr

Yes, it is a pretty nice view.  Would have a better view if we cut a few big oaks down, but I've never been able to rationalize cutting beautiful trees just to create a better view. 
Nothing better than sitting in front of the woodstove, watching the snow fly from inside a nice log home!

Kind Regards,
Shawn

cntryby

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Billbob

Beautiful home you have Shawn!  It's easy to tell you are an 'outdoors' kind of fellow.  Now that you have a sawmill you'll be spending alot more time outdoors! You'll definitely have no problem falling asleep at night.  :D
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Kasba

Congratulations on your new mill, you will have a lot of fun it is highly addictive.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

shawnr

Problem is that now I can't look at trees the way I used to!  I used to look at BTU's, now I start thinking about sawing boards.  Have a few local tree guys already planning to drop off loads of logs that are normally a nuisance to them because they are of low value as firewood.  Have a nice pile of knotty white pine logs that were cut last week, and a guy looking to deliver 15' lengths of straight hemlock, pine, and spruce logs that he will be cutting next week.
Can't wait to get into it after the New Year!
Merry Christmas!

Kind Regards,
Shawn

Thank You Sponsors!