iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Nothing exciting here, been using the mill to bust windthrown pine into firewood. I figure I can load logs on the mill with a tractor, break them down into 4x4s easily enough, then chainsaw those to firewood lengths. No more work than cutting rings and pushing them into a wood splitter anyway. 

Anyway, this log was in the stack. It was so ugly I just had to see what was inside.  :D

To gnarly to roll up a ramp, so chained it up and loaded that way. 

Not looking much better.  ::)

Inside? A nice mix of loose knots, loosely held together by bark and pitch pockets.  :D

Most of it ended up on the firewood stack, but I did flip the log over and saved a 3" live edge slab with a LOT of character. 

Next log was a nice straight ~30" pine. I opened it up and thought "This is too good for firewood". 

So that got sawn into some nice straight 2X6s. Maybe make a base for the live edge slab, and donate it to Taylor's school class. They like the natural wood stuff for the new classrooms. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on October 17, 2018, 06:33:36 AMNo kidding?  I bent mine the first time about a month after I got it.    Thought that rod looked a little flimsy though for the job it's supposed to do. After closer inspection this morning, it is bent back and sideways  . Also it is a 3/4" rod, but checking my other cylinders, they put 1" on the toe boards and 3/4" on the two plane clamp. Looks like it should have been the other way around. That two plane clamp gets pushed all kind of ways, especially when you working with the big logs that this mill is supposed to handle.

Woodmizer's response was that you should ONLY use it for clamping, not to push/raise logs on the mill.  They did replace mine, however. (they are awesome that way). I am gonna light them up about getting the larger unit. I think they are appx $200.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Lawg Dawg

That's the cherry that about killed me! I knew it would be beautiful! Its split down that seam...will make a nice river table right there

Stacked on the porch

Sawing big nice old growth pine logs

Got my new ram...1" cylinder

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

DPatton

The wife and I pulled the mill to the farm today in an attempt to get a few logs we have stored there cut up and drying. I had a nice 14' long maple log that was slightly oval in diameter at 36"x34" on the big end and 34"x32" on the small end. It was going to be a very big log for my 1600 and I knew it would be questionable if the mill would even lift it. Turns out once the wife and I wrangled that big boy onto the loading arms it wouldn't lift it :(. After some debate about how we were going to get it up on the deck it was decided that 10' maple lumber would be just fine ;D. So I bucked 4' off of the small end to lighten up the load and with some grunting and groaning the mill lifted the log upto the deck. I guess that 4' cutoff will make some nice short slabs or extra large cookies or something.

Once on the log deck getting that log turned into position presented its own set of challenges. But with a little kicking an cussing we got it centered up.

W

After careful examination I had to trim off an area with the chainsaw so the head carriage would clear and I was ready to make my first pass.

As you can see there's not much wiggle room between the uprights so it had to be just perfect to fit.

I knew the wind direction was all wrong today but since I didn't have a piece of equipment at the farm to move that log I was just going to have to suffer through it, and suffer I did. Wind was blowing the dust straight at me the whole time.

Unfortunately my opening face was determined not by how the log would make the best lumber but by the only way the log would fit. Here I have the log in position to open the second face.

A

That maple sawed real nice and the log behaved surprisingly well. There were a few knots inside that log that I didn't expect to find but it still produced some nice wide lumber.

A

I produced right at 480 bf of lumber from the log and it Doyle scaled at 498. The log was nice but less than perfect for sure. I know I could have gotten the other 18 bf out of what I put in the slab pile but not much more.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

JB Griffin

That log would scale 526bdft doyle or 513 international,  according to the ff toolbox.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

YellowHammer

Good job, you showed it who's boss. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DPatton

Quote from: JB Griffin on October 22, 2018, 01:47:40 PM
That log would scale 526bdft doyle or 513 international,  according to the ff toolbox.
I come up with 490 Doyle using 32" small end by 10' long. I think you are likely using 33" small end to come up with 526 Doyle. Either way like I said the log was less than perfect and I didn't get too picky with processing all of the possible side lumber. It was a good experience for me in log quality and to see just what it really takes to be a perfect log. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Lawg Dawg

More Cherry pics  8)

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Greyhound

Thanks to @PA_Walnut and his "helper" we sawed up some white, red and chestnut oaks.  The chestnut oak had very nice dark brown heartwood.  I hope some of that stays through the drying process.

DPatton

Those boards are beautiful Greyhound. They were obviously sawn by a professional.
  I don't know a thing about chestnut but I would suggest to keep em out of direct sunlight while drying to help preserve the color. 

D & S Sawmill Services

Sheepkeeper

What have I gotten myself into????
Log #1

Gnarly and awkward
Log #2

not quite so gnarly but just as awkward
Log #3

this was the big'un

was only 36" the other way but still  :o . This was a lot of log wrastlin' for a guy working by himself (not to worry, there were other people around and I took my time to be safe). Not something that I want to tackle again any time soon. The results:

72 - 6/4 x 8" x 16'
30 - 6/4 x 8" x 8'
9 - 6/4 slabs that need cutting to size
and 3 stacks of side lumber  "phew"
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

DPatton

Sheepkeeper, those are a mill full! You had your hands full to say the least. Was that first one a maple log?

D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

You had your hands and your feet and all the rest of your body parts full.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sheepkeeper

DPatton - All white oak, log 1 was the second log to log 3.

WDH - It was a workout for sure. Glad that I had strong tractor FEL to help with handling, even so it took two tractors to load them on the mill CAREFULLY! :o :o :o
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

fishfighter

Yesterday I made a trip to pick up some free SYP logs. The fellow that has them lived about 60 miles away. Butt end is 26" to start with and at 13' was 24 1/2". Only loaded two due to the weight and distance of traveling. I will have to make a easy 6 trips to get what I need for a project of lap siding for my daughter and SIL.

Even order a case of blades this morning. ;D

On a side note. A table I made for my daughter Her and SIL are doing the finishing work. :D I'm NOT a painter. :D

Before finishing

After the second coat of spar varnish. They will apply 6 coats.

And yes, SYP.

JB Griffin

Quote from: DPatton on October 22, 2018, 04:22:41 PM
Quote from: JB Griffin on October 22, 2018, 01:47:40 PM
I come up with 490 Doyle using 32" small end by 10' long. I think you are likely using 33" small end to come up with 526 Doyle. Either way like I said the log was less than perfect and I didn't get too picky with processing all of the possible side lumber. It was a good experience for me in log quality and to see just what it really takes to be a perfect log.

Yup, I averaged the two.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

alan gage

My first paying gig. Customer cut down these two ash trees this morning and we milled them up this afternoon. The smaller one was 8' and the larger was 13' and 32" at the butt. Biggest log I've had on the mill so far. Glad everything went well and we got 640BF of lumber.

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Stephen1

Quote from: Lko67 on October 17, 2018, 09:51:40 AM
Cherry a friend gave me. Was a blow down got eleven logs out of it. Stump log is 36 on small end but only 6 feet long until it y's. Will be a challenge for the LT15 gotta wait till ground freezes as to not tear up yard. I'm gonna wax ends do ya think they'll be ok probably be 2ish months.

They look like pine, Whoops, I just put my glasses on. Cherry! I wouldn't worry about waxing the ends if pine. As I was told years ago, they "self seal"
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Sawing some red oak slabs off of a 23" diameter 13' long log.
I have several customers who want them for desk and table tops:
here is a pair I put together to show one customer who wants to make a "river" desk top:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Resonator

Hemlock.

Had a Hemlock tree I was able to get a few saw logs out of and cut into 3" slabs.

Although the bottom trunk log had issues.

This particular tree started out as a bad leaner, which later blew down, uprooting the stump. I cut my saw logs on the ground and when I returned the next day, the stump had stood itself back up. 

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

alanh

Cut this chunky 10' red oak into 2x23" slabs to rip down the middle to fill and order for 16 dump truck side boards... it was shortly thereafter I realized/remembered that theres only 10 3/4 between the blade and the top of the throat,...so 10 3/4 wide they were!

Water Dogs

This was a reclaim ERC tree add little water to pop the grain. Sure looks better than a bag of dog bedding or stall shavings

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came over from a town not far away to pick up a 1 7/8"x16" x 8' one round edge red oak slab for a bar top:

He wants to make a bar like this:

It's going to go behind his couch facing the large screen TV so that others can sit there and watch as well as those on the couch.

Jim Rogers

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

A short while ago in response to one of my facebook marketplace ads a customer asked me to cut one slab with two round edges and one piece with one round edge to make a desk top like this:

yesterday, I cut two pieces off a very large red oak log and put them in position on my trailer to look like the ones in his drawing.

I intended to cut the one on the left off just above my glove to make it 8' long as it is now 13' long.
and cut off the right hand one at the stick.
I sent the picture of these two nearly clear red oak slabs to the customer.
Today, he emailed me that these would not work for his project.
He stated that the quality of the lumber was "TOO GOOD".
and didn't want them.

In 24 years of sawing I never hand anyone ever cancel an order because the quality of the wood was too good.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!