TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: And another sawmill build thread...  (Read 15900 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: And another sawmill build thread...
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »
Back on reply #90, there is a picture (from March 2016) of my mill.  Here it was in February of 2017:

And again the end of March 2017 after about 18" melted.  Notice the head angle...

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »
Went up today to try and get some milling done before the snow dumps again tonight.  The last snow was from Thanksgiving weekend - just a couple inches.  The forecast was for rain.  Here is what was left today - ground pretty well frozen but was able to use the SkyTrak

I put this big guy on to test the log clamp

Plenty of travel (1") and tons of pressure!  The only issue I had is a 2x2 tube is not exactly 2x2.  My tubes are ever so slightly rectangular.  Of my 3 log bunks that will accept the clamps, only one would fit correctly.  The other two would only take the clamp 90 off to the side.  I have a little grinding to do on the posts.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »
I've been pondering what to use to jack up logs to center the pith.  I have a few scissor jacks that could fit but it might be difficult to crank them as the jack has to rise between the bars on my log bunks.  The crank mechanism would be blocked by the bunk end posts.  I was out today hitting thrift stores and such and found this at a ReStore (Habitat for Humanity).  Maybe Kbeitz knows what it from.  I'm thinking an early 1900's car or truck?

BTW, the posting by clicking to insert link is working again (for me)!  :)

The "lug wrench" has a screw driver like end on it (to pop a hub cap?) and a hex nut hole in the other end lug nuts/bolts.  It doesn't fit in the jack correctly so I'm assuming there was a different handle for it.  I had to give it a shot of Blue Creeper to get the ratchet pawl to work properly and lubed the threads as well.  I like the flip top extension - might come in handy when I try it out on my mill (whenever the snow melts...) :-\  I'll probably make a slight U shaped bracket to fit on top to cradle a log so it won't want to roll off.

Not bad for $5.00! 8)
John Sawicky

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
I have a jack collection with a few like that but I have no idea
what car it came from. E-bay is saying Model A A2
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline waynorthmountie

• new guy that likes to tinker.
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2018, 03:23:29 AM »
Can you provide more info and photos of your lift system. Seems pretty unique, how has it been working and how fast can you lift the head up and down.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
Here is a couple pictures when I first made it.  Things are a bit rusty now!  It is made from those big rolling file cabinets.  I added more stages of gear reduction to make it really easy to lift.  About 10 turns to lift an inch.  The center shaft turns the two outside shafts which haul the head up on four chains.  It used to free fall so going down was easy.  Now I have to give the handle a big spin and it will go down a couple inches.

John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
@Kbeitz ,
I'm going to make the jump to power!  I will add a motor to my head lift.  It is geared way down - about 10 rev/inch.  I bought a pair of Jazzy motors and with their low speed and my low gearing, I'm thinking just a on/off/jog/reverse setup like you did on your router attachment.  The other motor I was planning on adding drive power and I found this controller
Waterproof 12V 24V 48V 20A DC Motor Adjustable Speed Controller Regulator Switch
and was wondering what you think.  I like the waterproof!  Hard to say without seeing the guts.

I found where you recommended this one Q1 Speed Motor Pwm 60a Red+black Hho Rc Control 48v 24v 12v 15khz 10-50v 3000w
and it looks like it is pretty ruggedly built (lots of power transistors).  

Then there are these out there
DC 10-55V 12V 24V 36V 60A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CW CCW Reversible Switch
with a reverse switch already set up and a digital display of the speed (0-100%).

I am adept at doing electrical/electronics so no issue with putting in a reverse switch on the motor leads and limit switches.
John Sawicky

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
Great... and good luck... My choice would be the high amp one. It will last much longer...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
Made this change back in April or so.  Took the tri-handle off and installed a wheel chair motor (24v) that runs off the engine battery (12v).  

Runs a little slow when you have to go far (20-30") but good for fine adjustments.  It was acting strange (would go real slow) so I installed some test points for my VOM.  

Turns out the battery wasn't fully charged.  I used a battery charger and now it seems to be doing much better.  Might have to resort to an "external" alternator that has more output then the little magneto one on the engine.

The switches on the right are for drive motor(s) but until I get more charging output, that is on hold.

I built my mill using Toyota Tercel rear wheel hubs.  The pulley I had required me to pull the drive hub apart so I could bolt it up on the back side of the hub flange.  In doing so, I messed up the bearings.  They have been giving me problems the last month or so.  When I took off the blade to change it, I could see they were way gone now - about a half inch of wobble!  The inner bearing races were heavily pitted and the seal looked shot.  Probably a lot to have a machine shop repair.

Over Labor Day weekend, Pic-n-pull had half-off so I found a "new" hub for $10 and decided NOT to do the same thing.  Using the old hub, I located the pulley on the rim and drilled though to bolt directly to the rim of the tire.  Then I cut out the center of the pulley and mounted it like this:

I was going to take it up the hill today to test it out but a small forest fire has closed my area.  Hopefully they will get it under control/out today if it didn't spread too far last night.
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »

You may consider adding one of these. 

Since it draws virtually nothing mine is wired direct.  12.6v before I cranked up but I had used the hydraulics a bit.

14.6v with the engine running.  I always know what my battery and alternator are doing.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Nice.  I'll have to add that to my Amazon list for the next shipment.
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
by Jeff
xx
(Another) Sawmill shed design thread, but I could use some help

Started by AnthonyW on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 08:39:42 AM
by AnthonyW