Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: And another sawmill build thread...  (Read 14081 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
    • Share Post
Re: And another sawmill build thread...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
Painting sounds like a good for anybody else but you.  I hate painting so much that I wouldn't care if it was all runs and fisheyes as long as I didn't have to do it!

After painting a few cars and trucks and tractors and a sawmill I realize I despise everything about it but it's a necessary evil sometimes.

Although when I pull off the masking I enjoy watching it come alive.

What color does your son suggest?  I think any color besides rainbows and "hot" colors would look nice.

Just imagine driving along and seeing a hot pink sawmill.  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline deadfall

• I'm old, sorta!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
Now why would it all have to be the same color?  Boring.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
<<snip>>
What color does your son suggest?  I think any color besides rainbows and "hot" colors would look nice.

Just imagine driving along and seeing a hot pink sawmill.  :D

He really doesn't care, as long as its one color.  I am using silver for a couple of reasons.  When it fades in the sun, no one will notice and with our blazing summers, silver does not get so hot that you brand yourself when you bump it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
UPS says my pulley is out for delivery.  In the meantime, I added a lube system.  I picked up these neat little flexible hoses off of Amazon.  I think it was a 4 pack of 12 to 16" hoses and were pretty cheap.  You can add and subtract one or more joints as needed.  Since they are rather thin tubes (meant for a pressure system on metal working tools), I used two.

As it turns out, they flow REALLY well.  My bottle neck is my two ball valves that only have a small hole in them.  Once I cleared the lube grease out, they work fairly well.  I expect them to get better as the lube system washes out the remnants of the grease.  The upper one to turn on/off and the lower to set the flow rate.  I purposely put it out of the way so I wouldn't be tempted to use it for on/off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, UPS delivered my first pulley that I bought off of eBay - not as described and unusable.  Trying to see if I can return for a full refund.  But I made further progress.  Here is the start of the blade guard:

I had some 1" tube frames I cut in half to make the sideways U brackets to fit around the hubs.  The black metal was some of the file system cabinets that housed some chain and gears.  I have one more that I won't bend to span the top between the two ends.  Then I will fill the bottom and front with a removable wood panel to catch the blade should it pop off or break, or to replace the blade.  The sawdust exit hole on the end will have a deflector install to shoot the dust down, probably into a bucket, and to stop a broken blade.  The clearance between the wheel/blade and the guard is about 1-" - just enough room to squeeze my hand in there to install the bolts and cut myself on the sharp blade  ::)  Being really sharp, I never felt it.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
I always end up looking like a snake got me when I handle blades.  :D

Your mill looks good, buddy!  I hate to say this, but the lube "should" be flowing on the blade before it enters the log.  It may work just fine where it is, I don't know, but all the manufacturers I've seen put it just after the idle side blade guide.  This way the lube is directly on the blade as it enters the cut and not getting mostly slung off on the way around to enter the cut.

I never saw a silver sawmill and I think I like it!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Silver is a nice lookin color. But i think it is one of the worst colors to hold up to the weather.
Around here it's the silver cars/trucks that rust out first.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline deadfall

• I'm old, sorta!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
I'm liking the contrast of the black guards already. 

My biggest complaint of W-M orange is the fading.  Anything with red in it won't stand up to the sun, except maybe red barn paint and Rustoleum primer.  Us navy vets will either love or hate gray.  Forest green is a favorite of mine, but not for a mill, methinks.  I must pass on the hot pink or the rainbow motif. 

What can I say; everyone's an art critic.

======================

Funny thing, I have never been cut while handling blades.  The cat did those cuts.

Happy for no reason.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 03:29:50 PM »

Your mill looks good, buddy!  I hate to say this, but the lube "should" be flowing on the blade before it enters the log.  It may work just fine where it is, I don't know, but all the manufacturers I've seen put it just after the idle side blade guide.  This way the lube is directly on the blade as it enters the cut and not getting mostly slung off on the way around to enter the cut.
Thanks.
 ???
That is the entry side!  Look at the teeth.  The motor is on the "pull" side.  Reading another thread, I can put one of the nozzles on the bottom of the blade if I have build up on that side.

John Sawicky

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »
I'm sorry, I saw it backwards.  You're right and correct and I was wrong.  I have dyslexia.  Or to lighten it up some, I have lysdexia.  ::)

I'm starting to become more hesitant to offer any advice the farther this brain crap progresses.

Good job on your mill, you should be proud

Offline deadfall

• I'm old, sorta!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
What does DNA stand for?

National Association of Dyslexics.

Happy for no reason.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
I'm sorry, I saw it backwards.  You're right and correct and I was wrong.  I have dyslexia.  Or to lighten it up some, I have lysdexia.  ::)

I'm starting to become more hesitant to offer any advice the farther this brain crap progresses.

Good job on your mill, you should be proud
Thanks - re-reading my reply to you sounded snarkey - Didn't mean it that way, should of put a smiley in. ;D  I think my band is going backwards from most so you possibly made an assumption.
John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
A little more progress today:

Added the top black piece to the guard.  Down by the engine, there is a blue wheel on a set of blue forks off a bike.  I couldn't wait for my new dual pulley to arrive tomorrow, so I faked it.  I put a single pulley (about 1/2 the diameter needed), shortened one belt (3/8" profile) and fired it up.  Turned on the water and awkwardly engaged the belt tension.  The engine was not running at top speed, nor was the blade (too small of a pulley compounded it).  It cut like crazy! 8)  The engine never bogged down so I kept pushing faster until I stalled the blade due to the belt slipping.  Still, I was able to cut this log in less than a minute compared to 5-6 minutes with the electric.  I was getting worried as the advice above is saying a 13hp would be the minimum.

We'll see how it performs in some real logs (pine, not half-rotted redwood) next week at full throttle and full blade speed.  Fingers crossed...
John Sawicky

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
They sell a couple mills with seven horse motors.  I am running a nine horse.  I would like a 13/14 horse If I got a fast enough cut for the fuel.  Heck I would like 30 or 40 horse.  I am cutting fine with a 9 horse though.  I am only getting about 150 board foot before having to do something to the blade to keep it cutting strait.  I don't know if the horse power affects this or if I am buying the cheepest blades on the market.  I am working to get more but still use the mill and feel I am comming out ok just not great.
Good luck
gww

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sawmill only has a 7.75 hp briggs engine on it new.
I know someone that has one and it does a fair job.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
Yes, everything is relative.  I've heard of a guy with a 2hp electric motor on a mill and it cut lumber.  Was it fast?  Probably not, but it cut.  There are others with a 5hp gas engine and it works as well.  Fast?  No.  I know that when I maxed out my mill with a huge black cherry I was wanting more power, but it cut.  Just very slow travel speed to keep the rpms up.  Will I ever see a tree that big again?  Maybe, but probably not.  For what I need, 13hp seems to be just about perfect.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
What does DNA stand for?

That's funny right there!  I wonder if you and I put our heads together the backwards would cancel out and we'd be able to see and do things like regular folks?  :D

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
My nine horse has cut several 13 inch wide boards and the tree to make a cant this size was 26 inches on one end.  It made good strait cuts.  I have cut lots of 12 inch wide 1 and 3/4 thick.  No problim and I go slow on all my cuts so not even that much differrance.  Mostly I end up with smaller cants but have cut some big ones.  I thought the 26 inch butt log was about 40 inches till I measured it.  It was bigg.  Most of my bigg logs are about 18 inches on the small end and it will cut them just fine all day long.
gww

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
I will be cutting lots of rafters - 5x9; planks for roof decking and floors - 2x random but shooting for 6 or 8" around 18' long;  Joists 2x12 either 14' or 25' long;  Posts up to 8x12, mostly 8x10.  Ten Beams 8x15x30'.
John Sawicky

Offline deadfall

• I'm old, sorta!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
What does DNA stand for?

That's funny right there!  I wonder if you and I put our heads together the backwards would cancel out and we'd be able to see and do things like regular folks?  :D

We'll just keep it stupid, simple?

I can't say how challenging it is sometimes with those matched switches on each side of the W-M control box.  One is forward/reverse, and the other is up/down.  Now, which was which again?

I often turn on my turn signal expecting windshield wipers.  I hate it when I do that with a stater behind me.

Happy for no reason.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
It certainly is a challenge every single day that those without it will never understand.  I get so darn frustrated sometimes I can't hardly stand it.  Sometimes I can laugh at it.  Mostly I grumble.

I had to weld a certain part on my mill 4 times.  Every time I obviously thought it was right just to come back the next day to see it was backwards or upside down or something like that.  It's never the same day to day which is what really gets me because you don't know what to expect.  Thankfully I can read and write halfway decent.  It didn't get me there.  But seeing things in my head, like a carpentry project, forget it!  And ciphering?  Sometimes with simple addition it's ok, but usually not.  Please don't get the idea I'm whining, just nice to share with someone who understands.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

31 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 09:55:25 AM
by bugpeople
xx
(Another) Sawmill shed design thread, but I could use some help

Started by AnthonyW on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 08:39:42 AM
by AnthonyW