iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawdust Removal Bin

Started by YellowHammer, January 19, 2016, 11:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

Most cyclones in my experience have had no internal configuration. What you saw from the outside was what you saw the other side of on the inside. The only exception to that was a huge thing with a 2 ½' inlet it had filters and a paddle valve on the bottom, vibrators, and a filter cleaning system. If I recall correctly, it was manufactured by Carter Day. For what you need, simple is better. I've seen good cyclones for sale on Craigslist and eBay. No internal configuration is what you want IMHO.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

Exactly, if you are pushing into the cyclone the bottom does not need to be sealed. You're fine.

The Oneida is pulling through the cyclone in their pics, notice the fan is always sucking out of the top. If you suck through the cyclone rather than blowing into it the bin has to be sealed so it pulls from the main tube rather than up through the bottom of the cyclone.

Gearbox

Welcome to the world of plugged dust piping . I will be busy that day but thanks for asking anyway . HEHEHE .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

YellowHammer

Oneida tech support called, and they said they had an empty interior cyclone like you guys are talking about, but for a thousand bucks! :o
That's a lot of logs to saw for a tapered hunk of pipe.  I could buy another fine dump truck for that. 

Maybe time to get scrounging and building my own.  Sounds like a fun project.  Or I may order the EBay ones.  I just threw out a big 500 lb cyclone seed spreader with a busted gearbox.  It would have made a perfect funnel. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

alan gage

Quote from: Don P on February 13, 2018, 06:34:41 PM
Exactly, if you are pushing into the cyclone the bottom does not need to be sealed. You're fine.

The Oneida is pulling through the cyclone in their pics, notice the fan is always sucking out of the top. If you suck through the cyclone rather than blowing into it the bin has to be sealed so it pulls from the main tube rather than up through the bottom of the cyclone.

I have an 3hp Oneida cyclone in my wood shop and what Don says is correct. There's suction in the cyclone. My barrel is connected to the bottom of the cyclone with flexible ducting. When it's less than 1/4 full the suction lifts it off the ground. System doens't work if the bottom of the cyclone isn't sealed. I've heard the big ones that dump from the cyclone into a bin have some sort of fancy rotating gate that allows the sawdust to dump while still holding a vacuum.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Mt406

I am planning a future dust collection system and I have a question?
do any of you have problems with saw dust freezing in colder weather?

Scott   

Bandmill Bandit

Yes! it freezes pretty quick too. A good reason not to saw when it real cold.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Mt406

I can see the look on my wife face when I tell her can't saw today to cold saw dust mite freeze.
How cold are we talking 20-30 or blow 20 degrees.
yesterday a 5 I was having to pry the boards off the cant.

Scott 

Bandmill Bandit

Around minus 10C is about as low as iu like to go.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Don P

I don't like to go much below +15F myself  :D.

I've wondered whether a small feed bin wouldn't be close enough to make a tolerable cyclone.

GAB

Last June I was @DGK in Whitehorse, Yukon and he was shooting the chips from his Logosol molder into a shipping container.
I'm thinking he must have fashioned some kind of vent for it.
I have no idea how he empties it maybe he can enlighten us.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bandmill Bandit

YM that truck has the electric split shifter and is a sycro trany except for 1st gear, for a reason. After your outa 1st and rolling you should be able to shift without the clutch. If your on a soft surface should probably use the clutch any way.

rjwoelk

In my travels i see cyclones laying around. Feed mills use them alot. They replace them as the grain and or dust is hard on them and they change them out. Scrap yards may have one or will keep one for you when one shows up. With a filter on top and a sealed bin it would just be a larger version of the shop dust collectors.  I cam accross a company that makes bag filters any size and for any kind of applications . Will see if i can find them.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

DDW_OR

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 14, 2018, 10:25:41 AM
......Maybe time to get scrounging and building my own.  Sounds like a fun project........I just threw out a big 500 lb cyclone seed spreader with a busted gearbox.  It would have made a perfect funnel.

if i had your skills i would build one.
could you dumpster-dive and get that spreader back, or enough sheet metal to build one?

i also want to build a setup like SlowJoeCrow's Whole Shop Stationary Dust Collector
Whole Shop Stationary Dust Collector in General Woodworking

and include collection for my Timberking 2000 and Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Don P

Quote from: rjwoelk on February 16, 2018, 12:47:48 PM
With a filter on top and a sealed bin it would just be a larger version of the shop dust collectors.  I cam accross a company that makes bag filters any size and for any kind of applications . Will see if i can find them.

Let me try it a different way  :).

If you blow into a cyclone that is outside you don't need a sealed bin, nor do you need a filter.

If you suck out of the top of a cyclone, you need a sealed bin.

Dave Shepard

There is a molding shop near me that has a sizeable dust system, 25 hp. The bin is a three story affair that he can park a truck under. There is a huge cyclone on top with an elbow on it to keep the rain out. The sawdust loses velocity in the cyclone, and the particles drop out the bottom.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SlowJoeCrow

Yellowhammer, have you settled on what kind of container you will be using? (dump trailer, dumpster, etc)?

Once you do that, make it air tight or mostly airtight with a 6" or 8" circular flange on the top.  Then get a cyclone, mount it permanently to your outlet pipe and attach flex hose from the bottom of the cyclone to the top of your bin.  That way its airtight, no chips flying everywhere, and all you have to do is disconnect the flex hose when you want to empty the container.  The exhaust will go out the top of the cyclone and it will be what you want.

My $0.02.

Alligator

Cyclones give nightmares

Anybody up for a good Sawmill\cyclone story tonight. :D
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Kbeitz

I have been watching for years for a cyclone. That's one thing
I have not found in the junkyard.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Alligator

Sometime in the fall of the early 1980s my father went to a sawmill auction in Maplesville and purchased a large cyclone. Sawmill auctions were usually on Saturday. I was around 27-28 y.o.. The next Saturday he sent me and our truck driver to retrieve our new used cyclone. Maplesville is just off the 4 lane road that connects Tuscaloosa and Montgomery. We loaded the cyclone on the flatbed trailer. My father had measured to make sure it would be under 13'6", the lowest clearance on the return back to Slocomb. We measured after we loaded – 13'5". We headed home about 2:30 pm. This is a picture of  a bridge similar to the bridge on the east bound lane. It had a big sign minimum clearance 13'6".

As we approached the bridge I could see that it was close, so I hung out the window just in case. We were creeping across the bridge, there wasn't hardly any traffic. We cleared the first rung with the expected 1" maybe more. The second rung just touched. The third rung caused the cyclone to tip back a bit and went under. The 4th rung was clearly going to be 4" too low.
About then the Alabama Football game was over in Tuscaloosa. It became apparent where all the traffic was. We had traffic backed up 5 miles. Every state trooper for 50 miles around was there. Thank god he was a great truck driver. The troopers backed and lined cars in one lane. We had 2' clearance for an 18 wheeler to back a mile to the first median. The troopers had a word of prayer with us, but at the end of the day after a lot of measuring we were legal. Over the years the bridge had sagged I guess. We went back to Maplesville and unloaded. We sent a lowboy back the next weekend.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

YellowHammer

That's a story I'm glad I didn't have to be in. 

I filled the dumpster and have emptied and reloaded.  So the system I've got rigged works OK, but it takes too long to empty and frankly, looks stupid.  :D
I have to pull all the boards off the top, pull the centrifuge off, disconnect the hose, and then I can carry it off and dump it. 

Since I'm on the exhaust side, I don't need a vacuum seal, just need something like what Dave and Don are talking about.  Big cyclone I can park the dumpster under, no physical,connection between the two, and when it's full, grab it and dump it.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Southside

Got the smaller version completed and run today.  Had to adjust the cyclone height a bit due to a door issue so the bottom of it sits about 8' in the air, nothing under or around it yet, planed about 200 BFT of  smiley_devil and the fall out was about 8' x 8' on the ground.  The shavings do come out of the bottom still with some swirl. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kbeitz

I would have left most of the air out of my tires or tied down my suspension springs
to the frame.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

Southside, do you have a picture?  Are you building the components?
YellowHammerisms:

Southside

I will get you some pictures. We finished it up last night at 7:00 PM, just in time for his upcoming ribbon cutting, it's a really nice place. We didn't build it from scratch,  rather salvage and modify.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!