iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling at Crafts Festivals

Started by Sixacresand, November 11, 2018, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

The second weekend in a row that we milled at Craft Festivals in Middle Georgia .  Its been two weekends of showing off milling cedar, black walnut and red oak.  The photo was today of dueling Woodmizers at Beaver Creek Festival at Ivey Georgia.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

6 Acre,

What is the purpose of sawing at such events? Are you doing it as part of the Pro-Sawyer demo incentives? Advertising? Educational to a particular group or the general public?

I sawed at our local county HS a year or so back and had a great time. For them it was only educational as I could not advertise the mill or my services on school property. I sawed for the shop class, math classes and general grades. We had a good time and i think it was educational for all and tried to show the kids how to apply some of what they had learned. I need to remind them of my offer again. Unfortunately too often the teachers and admins there don't want to take the extra effort scheduling such an event takes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 11, 2018, 10:42:50 PM
6 Acre,

What is the purpose of sawing at such events? Are you doing it as part of the Pro-Sawyer demo incentives? Advertising? Educational to a particular group or the general public?

WV Sawmiller,   Good question. The festival operators barter for me to mill a few of their logs in exchange for a spot to set up the mill.  If I bring my own logs, then I can sell the lumber.  But it is mostly for show.  I gave out about 100 business cards which will might lead to 15 to 20 jobs or sales.  It is a lot of work, but fortunately, there was a forked FEL tractor on site.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

6Acre,

Thanks. It is fun to show and talk to people about milling lumber IMHO. Of course often they want to come watch and talk when you don't have the time to do so. Getting the logs to such a site and lumber removed is always the big issue for me.

If you are not on the Pro-sawyer network you might look in to that. If you demo your mill and the potential customer later buys one you get WM points for blades, re-sharp, parts, etc. Its a win-win for everybody the way I see it. Besides - its fun.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!