iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

more help needed in Liberia

Started by Mikey H, January 08, 2018, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

If it is in town it is likely available 24/7. If you need a bolt somebody, for a price (maybe a beer which is cheaper than a Coke) will go wake up the owner who will come open the shop to make the sale of a fitting or clamp or such. We went to The Central African Republic and after spending too long at the shakedown/pay-offs at the border when we got to the ferry an hour away the Captain had shut down early. Fortunately he lived on our side of the river. Guide bought a local a beer, he went and got the captain who negotiated a price and he went down and fired up the ferry and took us across the river. During the rainy season they set up "Rain gates" along the route to stop big log truck and such who can't negotiate the wet, slick, clay roads. Small passenger cars are free to go. Usually these are long pieces of bamboo cross arms or pieces or rope tied together as a "cable". Somebody is appointed to monitor these crossings and let small vehicles pass. Supposed to be free but they all become toll gates, especially when they see a white face in the back. (Sorry if you think that is politically incorrect - just stating fact after years in the area.)

All prices are negotiable from street vendors. In Guinea there were fewer whites than in Cameroon so less attuned to price adjusting. I found the trick was find some kid minding the shop and buy from them. They did not know to triple the price for a white guy as she'd never dealt with one before. I went to buy fresh okra and found a little girls with many small piles in front of her. I gave her 500 cfa (less than a dollar) and communicated I wanted it all in okra. She was very excited and told her friends and neighbors. I turned around and bought a wooden spoon off a passing wood dealer then looked back and the little girl gave me a bag with about 2 gallons of okra. She charged me local price instead of tourist rate.

In Guinea I bought a coffee cup sized brazier and understood it was Dix Mille Francs so gave her 10,000 francs. I took my purchase and walked away. About 2 blocks later the lady caught up with me and tried to give me 9,000 francs change. She could not change the bill and had to go to others. When i realized I told her keep it. 1000 francs was only 14 cents and 10K was only $1.40 but I was heartened at her honesty. Please don't think most vendors are that honest but glad to find one.

I saw and photographed a small homemade truck made from a sardine can and pop bottle wheels and asked to buy it. Little boy said Une Mille Franc (14 cents) and wrote it on my hand as we had no paper. I thought then told and gave him Dix Mille Francs ($1.40) and we both left happy.

We visited a Leper commune outside Douala Cameroon run by a tiny French nun. Bought a few small baskets they made and sold. Becky asked and took pictures and showed them on viewer and they were so happy their blind friend insisted we take his picture. we did then showed his friends and they all laughed and had a great time. That was before we learned to take a printer and I always wish we had one. Hard to imagine such happy people in such miserable conditions.

Wesdor,

I understand your aunt. I miss it every day.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Thanks for keeping thinking guys, my world travels amount to the homeowner that took us over the line to Vancouver one night. They'll spot me coming  :D Who do I talk to about a visa?

I'll keep this all in this thread. I had emailed Mike over the weekend asking about power
QuoteThis is a good site for voltage and adapter info: https://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/liberia/    They have 110 and 230 over there.  Mostly 60 hz.   You'll want plug adapter type F to plug into most places.

I appreciate your thinking ahead about hand tools.  If you collect a lot of stuff you want to ship over there, let me know. We can ship it via DHL and it will get there safe and sound. 

That makes me think we might be able to break out 110 from the mains. I'll take a cheap meter.

I saw Warren's pic of the guys in the bush shop using hand planes, I've got several I don't use and the weight concerned me, sounds like Mike has us covered on shipping. Once we know what they need let's fit em out. I know your shop looks the same as mine, stuff from Grandpa's and FIL's gathering dust.  :)

Does anyone know of a sympathetic electric tool repair shop, I have a couple of B&D ind/ DW 601 routers that need rebuild I'd be happy to send if we can get them fixed. We ran over 100 of those in one furniture plant in NC they were a very common well balanced 1.5hp router.

WV Sawmiller

Don,

Go to the State department web site https://www.state.gov/ and check on visa requirements. Some countries require you to come with the visa already in your your passport. Others you can buy in the airport. Sometimes you need an invitation from a local travel agency or business or such active in the country.

Make sure you check closely and follow the requirements. I left Dubai for Brazil, got to Sao Palo and was never allowed to leave the airport. I'd read somewhere I could get the visa there as I had in Kenya, Ethiopia, and other places. I was wrong. The immigration people were very professional but firm and they put me back on the same plane returning to Amsterdam and severely chastised KLM for not checking properly before putting me on board as they, the airlines, are responsible for making sure you can legally go to any country they transport you too. Delta checked and stopped my wife in Charlotte before sending her to join me. Was a very tiring and very expensive lesson.

Often equipment like laptops are dual voltage and you only need to get an adapter plug, readily available in any airport, to plug into the local power outlet. Check the data plate before taking it with you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Liberian embassy in US:   http://www.liberianembassyus.org/index.php?page=consular

We used a visa service rather than interacting directly with the embassy. I got my visa after purchasing an airline ticket which of course was coordinated with the rest of the group.   Whether directly with the embassy or with the visa service you send your passport, yellow card, visa application, 2 passport like photos, the visa service application, and appropriate fees.  Took about 3 weeks.  The passport comes back with the visa glued to one of its blank pages.

It is necessary to have a passport that will not expire within 6 months, to get the visa.  So the first step is to make sure you have a passport and that it will not expire soon.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

I appreciate the tips from you experienced travelers. It seems I have a lot to learn about world travel.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

Quote from: Crossroads on January 16, 2018, 09:53:42 PM
I appreciate the tips from you experienced travelers. It seems I have a lot to learn about world travel.

As do I!  :P
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

Most assuredly, put it in here whenever a thought comes to mind :).

My folks sent an email with some more thoughts and tips that I think are worth sharing;

A few tips Mom and I found to be helpful: Duffle bags are rugged and can hold a variety of things, especially if you use a couple of sheet rock buckets with lids to protect and corral stuff that might poke or damage other things.  The real value comes from the many uses the buckets may serve in your daily life while on site. We found that the locals were thrilled to get the buckets when we left. Too bad we don't have our two bags to pass on to you.

I made the mistake of giving up the tools that I had taken for them too early in my stay, and many vanished with the bosses, leaving those who proved to be the real workers without the advantage of the very things I had taken for them. Pretty soon, just as in the states, you will find that there are good, faithful workers and good slackards.

Be diligent in following the rules on the do's and don'ts of food and water consumption. Never fall into the trap that "just a small sip or bite won't hurt." Our systems really have been pampered and will get really out of sorts when we ignore that fact.

If the sponsoring mission organization has not considered clean water as one of the greatest things they can do for the kids they are helping to educate there, I suggest they link up with Water Missions International. Maybe Water Missions can provide one of their systems.  They are simple, not expensive and really work.  The Green family, Water Mission's founders, are good people and have a "make it happen" attitude when it comes to getting a need fulfilled.

Another thing I learned in Bulgaria, Russia and Moldova is that, although the people were poor, the country backward by our standards and appearance (around a century behind) don't think they are not savvy and creative and smart.  They remind me of eastern N.C. farmers of eighty years ago. With a lot of that hard knocks skill and a little baling wire they accomplished amazing things.

Another thing I learned was that my ways were not always the only and right way to do things. I know you are surprised to read that. Mom nearly fainted. 

Kbeitz

Don't just not drink the water but don't brush you'r teeth with it either.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Oh, I don't know if y'all noticed, the Liberian embassy requires 2 passport size photos and you need another for your passport, so get at least 3. Thanks TT that was just in time, I'm going down to get that and the passport stuff done in the morning.

My folks have apparently scoured the country looking for the sawmill site, can any of you point it and where we'll be or the coordinates from google earth out?

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 17, 2018, 06:19:35 PM
Don't just not drink the water but don't brush you'r teeth with it either.
Good advice.  I took a Sawyer water bottle, has a filter inside, and drank from wherever I chose.  My companions were using bottled water.  Sawyer has several very good water systems, another is a couple liter bag one can hang up, or another is a 5 gal bucket kit where you hook it to a hole in the bottom of any bucket, I think that one can deliver a million gallons with occasional back flushing with a syringe which is included.

Sawyer water filtration products are inexpensive and available on Amazon.

I keep the water bottle in the glove compartment of our boat when I'm not traveling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Don P on January 17, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
Oh, I don't know if y'all noticed, the Liberian embassy requires 2 passport size photos and you need another for your passport, so get at least 3. Thanks TT that was just in time, I'm going down to get that and the passport stuff done in the morning.

My folks have apparently scoured the country looking for the sawmill site, can any of you point it and where we'll be or the coordinates from google earth out?
Very much understand and appreciate the interest but I'm hesitant to post exact locations for several reasons including privacy and it's not my right to do so. 

Don P

Ah! Understood, in the fullness of time  :).

Crossroads

As for the 3 passport photos, do they all three need to be identical? The reason I ask is, I just got my photo taken for my concealed carry license and was given 2 copies. Then got it taken again last week to get my passport renewed. So, I have 2 extras that are not identical. Kevin

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

2 identical ones to get the Liberian visa, download their application and read it and its instructions to be sure. 2x2 on a white background head shot

Don P

I asked at the post office yesterday if she could make me a couple of extra passport photo copies, they are not allowed to. She said the Rite Aid pharmacy did them as well, somewhere like that might be an option.

One other thing that was a surprise that might help someone else. The closest post office to me that could do passports was down in NC. I had the state dept form and everything they asked for on the website... well I took everything but my toe tag in a vanilla envelope. Then she said, "oh, your from out of state, I need another form of ID". She had seen 3 birth certificates, SS card, Drivers, Marriage and needed one more  ??? I emptied my wallet and we started going through everything, what worked was she spotted a voter registration card, wouldn't hurt to carry that with you too.

Mike said manuals have been sent over several times but you know how that goes. He emailed a set and I have the Kohler manual downloaded as well thanks to Marty, happy to email any of that. I was going to put them on a flash drive to carry with and leave there as well, I'm kind of thinking of finding a place in the beach house to stash one as well.

Don P

Story time! Let's hear all about it when you get settled in :)

terrifictimbersllc

Just got back last night from Liberia.  12 days out and back.  Got a few things to catch up on. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I look forward to hearing about your trip!

Bigblazer

Looking forward to hearing about your experiance.
LT40 manual, peg11 single blade edger and 36" chainsaw mill

Don P

@terrifictimbersllc,  Dennis I remember you were looking for a sharpener for the swing blade mill. It occurred to me today that edgers often run insert teeth that can be filed and easily replaced when damaged. Would it be worth exploring that type of blade rather than carbide tipped?

I hear you are a rail straightener too, that must have been fun! 

Crossroads

Well, I have all my shots,pills and passport. This week I'll get my tickets and start on the visa. This should be a real eye opener. 

Thank You Sponsors!