iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch (gathered wheel chair and scooter motors)

Started by Georgia088, January 22, 2018, 07:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: Georgia088 on January 25, 2018, 07:01:54 AM
So, can you use the speed control that came with the scooter (if it works)? Will that controller work for any of these motors I have? Or, is there something I need to check before I get it?

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 25, 2018, 06:28:36 AM
This is what I used for a speed control. Got it off E-bay...

Sure you can use it... It might be a joystick and hard to control.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

So, can you use the speed control that came with the scooter (if it works)? Will that controller work for any of these motors I have? Or, is there something I need to check before I get it?

I am still using the chair controller on my mill. If the motors are 24V and the controller is 24V, you will have to supply 24V for it to work. My way around that is that I use two 12v lawn tractor batteries. I am using two motors on my mill. One to raise/lower the head and the other for tracking. The controller is a joy stick. To use the motors, I just engage or disengage the gear box I want to use. Those lawn batteries last a couple days sawing till I have to charge them.

Georgia088

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 25, 2018, 07:15:24 AM

I ordered one like you have. Any idea how to make the speed control on the scooter work until it comes in? How does it connect to the motor?

Thanks

Georgia088

Thanks fish. I like your setup with the chain, but I don't have any. I do have the plenty of cable though  I will probably run mine on it. Where do you find that chain used.  I'm sure you can order it but what do they come on used?

Thanks!

pineywoods

You will find that the controller for scooter and wheelchair are much more than just speed control. Lots of safety features built in.
self check diagnostics, soft start, soft stop, brake actuation, fwd/reverse, max speed both fwd and rev, battery condition, joystick position. Example..If the joystick is even slightly off the neutral position or the throttle is not in stop position, on power up, shut down and lock the brake. The wheelchair controllers won't power up unless 2 motors are hooked up and operational. Do a search, there's lots of info on here...Another thought. wheelchair/scooter motors have built in gear reduction are sealed, rated for continuous duty, and are long life.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Georgia088

So, with the speed control that you have does it matter much what gear sizes you have to move the sawhead back and forth? Because regardless of the gear size you should be able to adjust speed.  Right?

Thanks!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Georgia088 on January 25, 2018, 10:41:23 AM

So, with the speed control that you have does it matter much what gear sizes you have to move the sawhead back and forth? Because regardless of the gear size you should be able to adjust speed.  Right?

Thanks!

You kinda want to get it geared in the middle so you have room to play with
the speed. Also you cant use just the joystick. There needs to be a control
box somewhere. The joystick is just the switches that controls the control
box. Did you get everything? Even with the control off e-bay you will still
need at least a couple toggle switches to tell it when to go and in what
direction.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Georgia088

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 25, 2018, 12:34:10 PM

Thanks!

direction.

I am planning on using the scooter. It doesn't have directional control. It seems to only go forward and reverse. The gears and all come with it. I will try and post better pictures of what I have tonight. The two wheel chair motors are still connected to the tires. They are very old I would think. They only go in forward or reverse too.

Kbeitz, I also see where you used a wireless remote for a winch to move your power feed. How has it worked? I have one of those too that I may use.

Kbeitz

It works... More a show off toy... I'm so used to running the mill without
it that most of the time I don't use it. I have safety stop switches mounted
so I can just send my mill off for a cut and go a rip a few boards until it
gets done sawing. Then I send it home and carry my board away with out
any worry about what my carriage is doing. I wear the controller on a chain
around my neck. Most of the time I forget it's there or I forget to get it out
of my shop.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

That gold thing on the end of the motor is the brake.

Darrel

Quote from: Georgia088 on January 25, 2018, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 25, 2018, 12:34:10 PM

Thanks!

direction.

I am planning on using the scooter. It doesn't have directional control. It seems to only go forward and reverse. The gears and all come with it. I will try and post better pictures of what I have tonight. The two wheel chair motors are still connected to the tires. They are very old I would think. They only go in forward or reverse too.

Kbeitz, I also see where you used a wireless remote for a winch to move your power feed. How has it worked? I have one of those too that I may use.

Be very careful here, I once heard from a very reliable source (MagicMan, I think) that if we quote too much like this that the forum will run out of "Quote Fluid".

:D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

starmac

So you put a huge honkin quote in your post as a warning, got to love it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

It make it tough when your trying to answer one person.
That's why I quote someone.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Georgia088

Georgia088

Sorry about the quoteathon.
I took some pics but it's hard to figure out how to post them from my phone.

I isolated the brushes in my winch motor to keep from having a short when the polarity is reversed to let head down. (Knocking on wood) it was easier than I thought and seems to be working fine (thanks piney). I used the wireless winch remote from a burned up hf winch to connect to the 1878 model winch that has been collecting dust for years.

Still contemplating how to use the scooter motor or wheel chair motor for the power feed. I ordered the speed control and took some more pics of what I've got. I think the brake may be limiting the scooter motor bc I can stall it with my hands when I grab the rubber wheels. I will take the brake off I guess and see how it does. I assume to use the gearbox you must seize one side so that the differential (maybe wrong word) will not switch power to other wheel? What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!

Darrel

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 25, 2018, 07:45:49 PM
It make it tough when your trying to answer one person.
That's why I quote someone.

Ya, I get it, I was just making an attempt to be funny.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Wow... That's the first wheelchair motor I seen with a differential.
I hope you know by stopping one wheel you will double the speed
of the other wheel.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Georgia088

It's off of a scooter. But I can stall both wheels with my hands... I'm assuming the brakes are allowing me to do this? I havent had a chance to take it apart.

fishfighter

Quote from: Georgia088 on January 25, 2018, 08:39:57 AM
Thanks fish. I like your setup with the chain, but I don't have any. I do have the plenty of cable though  I will probably run mine on it. Where do you find that chain used.  I'm sure you can order it but what do they come on used?

Thanks!

Bought it at Tractor Supply. Could of bought it off ebay at half the price. Two 20' lengths was around $65. Gears were around $20 each. Using a number 40 chain and gears.

Oh, at first I was using a rope and took the tire off the rim. It worked, but kind of not smooth.

To swap over, I just used the tire hub and welded a gear on it. ;D

Georgia088

Fish
It looks like you work like me (blue can) lol.  So, the rope didn't work well?  I would think it would be similar to cable system.... I'm still thinking of using that instead because I have it.  I wonder if the pulleys on the lawn mower would run ok on the cable? 

Thanks!

Crusarius

That looks like nylon rope? That is not the best choice. Cotton would probably work better.

Kbeitz

I use 1/8 steel cable with two wraps around the 8" drive pulley.
240 hours on the mill with no problems. I would do it again.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!