iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tie Prices

Started by Horselog, February 02, 2018, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

What's tie prices in your area?  Standard length and switch ties.  Are you having any trouble selling?  Quotas? Maybe just on switch ties?  Give us the lowdown.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

JB Griffin

Quotas are common still, so that means it'll be hard to impossible to sell ties to those buyers that are imposing the quotas.
Prices vary greatly from region to region.

If your thinking about sawing ties I will give you some advice. Don't.  Unless you have the following items. ...

1) fully hyd band mill or a circle mill (not a belsaw).
2) roll cases, the more the better.
3) loader, must be capable of picking up and carrying at least 6k lbs and be reliable enough to use everyday all day.
4) help and or automation.

Without these you will break yourself down while you go broke (I know I saw me do it)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

paul case

I have been getting $27.75 for 8'8'' 7x9.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on February 02, 2018, 08:50:47 PM
I have been getting $27.75 for 8'8'' 7x9.

PC

Is that fob sawmill or delivered?
Boy, back in my day..

ncsawyer

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

killamplanes

26$ for 8'8 thats 7x9. If its rejected 6$. That's delivered. 1$ discount if picked up semi load minimum.  Oak, hickory, mainly no more soft maple, sycamore, hackberry, of course no cottonwood or pine. There's others but it take all day to write.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Horselog

I've cut ties in the past, and have several loaders, and am well aware of the handling challenges.  I'm curious what the variation is across regions, mainly whether there's quotas and price differential.  There's several places here buying them.  Anyone cutting many switch ties?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

paul case

oak, hickory, or any other hardwood. fob my sawmill. LOaded on a truck. My buyer is real good to me and he will come and buy half a truckload at a time.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JB Griffin

Quote from: Horselog on February 03, 2018, 02:58:35 PM
I've cut ties in the past, and have several loaders, and am well aware of the handling challenges.  I'm curious what the variation is across regions, mainly whether there's quotas and price differential.  There's several places here buying them.  Anyone cutting many switch ties?

Thats good, I have seen others think that sawing ties will make them rich. :D

Switch ties are special order only for us now. Don't get to saw many of um.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

YoungStump

Koppers seems to be looking to buy more ties again, my buyer was out a week ago or so to let me know the price had increased again and he would like to buy some ties from us. We haven't sawed any in about a year because they were getting a bit hard to sell and we started running low on blocking for pallets. I believe the price he quoted me for hardwood 7x9x8'6" was $29.25 delivered to Muncy Pa.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

4x4American

^^pretty good hey!  I'm at $23.28 for 7x9x8'6" FOB sawmill.
Boy, back in my day..

YoungStump

Where are yours going to 4x4?
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

YoungStump

:D you got a good trade deal worked out?

JB Griffin

Southside

Who was it that got into that mess when they were not treating ties, just painting them and such?  Maybe the replacement work for some of that is coming around?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kbeitz

Quote from: YoungStump on February 05, 2018, 08:09:00 PM
Koppers seems to be looking to buy more ties again, my buyer was out a week ago or so to let me know the price had increased again and he would like to buy some ties from us. We haven't sawed any in about a year because they were getting a bit hard to sell and we started running low on blocking for pallets. I believe the price he quoted me for hardwood 7x9x8'6" was $29.25 delivered to Muncy Pa.

Years ago I worked at the buildings now owned by Koppers. It was
then called Modecraft. They made barber chairs and beauty salon equipment.
I only live about 15 miles from there. I worked there around 1968.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Southside logger. What are the buyers treating them with. I worked a couple of years rebuilding englewood yard in Houston. southern pacific treated all of their own ties there. I was under the assumption back then that all railraod companies either did, or paid those with the creosote plants to do it for them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Southside

Supposed to be creosote but there was a supplier that got busted for simply painting ties black, dipping them in oil, etc. It was a big case and I believe involved millions of ties.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

starmac

Sounds like some railroad bigshots had to be on the take here.

I worked for a company that rebuilt railroads and new sidings and terminals for several years.  Any guy would have to be flat out braindead to look at a tie that had been soaked in motor oil and think it was creosote, actually paint or about anything else too, not only is it visibly different it certainly is to the touch and The smell is WAY different and unmistakable.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WDH

That is pretty low down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

squirrel dog

I don't cut to many ties but they seem to be coming back.  My buyer(koppers) called me last week and said he was raising prices a $1.00.  i figure they must be needing them now.

Thank You Sponsors!