iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That’s a First

Started by Crossroads, February 04, 2018, 02:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Had a customer contact me about milling up an oak tree that tipped over in his yard. After I gave him a rough estimate on how long it would take to cut it into slabs. He asked if I'd be interested in trading for some "great pot". It's legal in Oregon, so I don't know why I was so surprised, I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I think I'll wait until he has some cash available lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

Yeah, it was bound to happen sooner or later😂
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bound to happen....well it has.
The states where that legalized it is now driving the price down. Everybody can get it anywhere.

It has no value you at all at my place.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

starmac

I can see this happening more and more as time goes on, some folks consider it as good as gold.

Poston, from what I understand it has gone way up here since it was legalized and the businesses that deal in it have been established. Heck just the taxes is more than the stuff is worth.  7 bucks tax on ONE joint from what I understand.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Resonator

Only except payment for saw milling in: 1. Green cash 2. Cashiers check 3. Highly Valuable Black Walnut Tree.   :laugh:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Kbeitz

Someone offer that to me and it would be the last time he would set
foot on my land...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crossroads

Fortunately when he made the offer, it was through text message. Even at that it took me a while to figure out how to respond. Pretty much the only good it would serve around my place would be goat feed, I guess they'd eat it?

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

paul case

Don't feed it to your goat. It is about like LOCO weeds. Causes them to be more nuts than normal.

For sure DO NOT feed it to the FF goat. Please!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

Crossroads beat me to it, I was going to say it would be goat feed!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crossroads

Quote from: paul case on February 04, 2018, 05:56:38 PM
Don't feed it to your goat. It is about like LOCO weeds. Causes them to be more nuts than normal.

For sure DO NOT feed it to the FF goat. Please!

PC

Lol, that would be all bad!

DPatton

:D :D :D I can already see the new goat pictures coming in tonight! ;D ;D Think I will hang around a while for a good laugh and see what gets posted. Can't wait!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

The jokes with the goat are funny - but in all seriousness this will prove to be a very poor decision on the part of those states. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

I guess I am an exception.  First, I'm a teetotaler, I don't smoke or drink.  That said, I'd rather have a pot head for a neighbor than a drunk.  Pot doesn't matter too much to me, the other stuff, I hate.  I think the best thing for America is to legalize and tax it like Tobacco (stupid drug) & Alcohol- kills so so many people. 

That said, if they offered it to me Id have laughed and told them to keep walking.
Liking Walnut

Southside

Like anything in life there are different experiences, but from a previous career I can show you plenty of grave stones and lives destroyed by the stuff.  Not all of them were the user either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

That stuff was never for me and I haven't had a drop to drink since 2004. On one hand, I agree with making it legal for the tax purposes. But, it's to hard to detect and I'm afraid there are way to many people on the road while under the influence especially in the states that have made it legal.

Chuck White

True!  There are people on the road, under the influence of alcohol, legal drugs (perscriptions), illegal drugs, AND Cell Phones!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Once upon a time I would have thought about it and probably would have done it just to turn it and make a buck, providing the numbers were good enough. I'd have to get someone else to test it for me though. The last time I took hit off a joint was 9-10 years ago and DADGUMMIT, it sure wasn't the same crap we smoked when I was in school.

At this point in my life, even if it were legal, I'd have to tell them no. I'm not against it if used responsibly, but I won't be a part in it either. For me it's a "to each their own" kind of situation, but I'll pass.

Darrel

In June of last year I got a call from a guy that lives about 7 or 8 miles from me called me and wanted me to mill a big pine. So my wife and grandson went with me to to have a look. First thing I saw when I drove into the yard was a huge greenhouse. Next to it was a 42" Jeffery pine shading it. He wanted me to cut it down and make lumber out of it. Man I wanted a chance to mill that tree. The pay was a life time supply of weed. I told him I already had a lifetime supply. He wanted to know if I grew my own. I held out my empty hands and said, "This is my lifetime supply." He just couldn't understand having no need for pot.

I still want to slice that big tree, it's well over 100' tall, a good 50' to the first limb.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ToddsPoint

At least he didn't try to give you Bitcoin for payment.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

SlowJoeCrow

My whole life I was taught that drugs were bad by the same institution (government) that now have made pot legal.  I don't like the road America is going down and I don't understand.

GDinMaine

At some point, anything of value can become subject of barter or trade. About 3000 years ago people would have looked at you rather funny if you tried to trade something, called money, for meat or grain. I am not against people growing pot, but sure would not take it as payment.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

sealark37

Could it be that your potential customer looked at you and figured that you might go for the deal? Just asking.  Regards, Clark

Darrel

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on February 06, 2018, 07:32:44 AM
My whole life I was taught that drugs were bad by the same institution (government) that now have made pot legal.  I don't like the road America is going down and I don't understand.

Let me take a stab at the understanding part. And let me also say that I still don't like it.

All my life, I've lived out in the sticks and have had neighbor's that were pot growers. (Except for the 2 years I lived in Utah.)  The worst part for me and my family was the criminal element of it all.  Local farmers having to hide and protect their cash crop from every possible intruder.  Gun battles didn't happen often but they did happen. I once had a 17 year old boy show me bits of his mother's brain splattered on the wall. (A mix of pot and an angry pot farmer with a shotgun).

I now have several weed growing neighbor's that are going broke because of price drops secondary to pot now being legal, and that is a good thing.  I don't like the way things are going but in at least one aspect, there is some improvement. And yes I know that the legalization of marijuana has opened up other problems, but life is better where I live.

And one more thing. About an hours drive from here there was a big pot bust last fall.  Seams someone got greedy and planted way over the legal number of plants.  There was like 2,000 plants.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Quote from: sealark37 on February 06, 2018, 09:00:56 AM
Could it be that your potential customer looked at you and figured that you might go for the deal? Just asking.  Regards, Clark

Lol, ya got me there, my beard is looking a little shaggy. 🤔

Thank You Sponsors!