iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difference in Woodweb and The Forestry Forum

Started by Bud Man, February 04, 2002, 02:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Man

Jeff== No offence, But I find Woodweb's Responces to their posts Being In Red easier to keep up with. I know you roll new responces to the top, but it pushes old  topics down and in so doing that, it makes viewers scroll   2 and sometimes 3 pages to keep up with a topic that is only a few days old. Some of these original posts are    6  to  12    months old and have 40 or 50 responces.  I'm kinda confusing even myself but I would like to have you or any of the members that use both forum's comments. Maybe a good payback for their borrowing The Forestry Forum Name as a new forum category.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Ron Wenrich

I use 3 different forest forums.  Here, Woodweb, and About.com.  All 3 have their differences.

Here, if there is a thread that has new additions and you haven't read, you will see it posted as . It is also forced to the top.  All messages that have been posted are here for you to read.

At Woodweb, something you have read turns red, however, it stays in the same spot.  If you are following a thread, it doesn't take long before it is way down on the list, and you have to scroll like mad to get to it.  Most of the time, I forget to follow a thread because it is out of the focus of the browser.

About.com will list all threads that you haven't read and any that you have read that has been responded to.  If there is no response, you can't see the thread unless you open all messages.  They will also drop off any threads that are a month old.  Again, to see them, you can open up all messages, and scroll through them.  

About has a few nice features.  It will show a thumbs up on threads that you have responded to.  It also allows you to block messages from people you don't like.

All in all, I find this forum a little easier to use, especially if you keep up with it on a daily basis.  There are several categories, and that makes things much easier.  If you don't have much interest in a certain category, just skip it.  In Woodweb, you have to scroll through all the threads to find one that interests you.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

personally I prefer Jeff's Forestry Forum design.  It is a lot more personal and the active threads are always within a few lines of the top.  I do access the site every day and sometimes many times a day if I'm home.  The format of the site you are speaking of has about 2 months of posts on it.  That is ok for a fast moving site but we are anything but fast moving.  I guess the other site is likened to trying to carry on a conversation with a group of people as you are walking down a busy New York City street at gettin'-on gettin'-off time, whereas Forestry Forum is likened to that same group standing in front of the post office.   Tomorrow morning at the post office the same conversation may still be going on and half of the people in the New York City group will be vacationing in Florida, a quarter of them will be in Sax's, an eighth will be 2 miles away looking for a taxi, a sixteenth will be trying to get on the subway and both of the remaining thirty-second will be a block apart yelling at each other.

We've had about 3 people in the year plus that I have belonged to the site who have not cared for the format.  I think they have gone on their merry way to other sites where they felt more comfortable.  Jeff has done a pretty good job, I think, for Sawyer. We all get off of work and get on the site and play.......he gets off of work and maintains.  

Those other sites are run by professionals whose job is websites.  Jeff's job is sawing .  We are lucky that he has taken the time from his recreation schedule to create a "task of love".  

This is the most user friendly site I have visited in my limited arena and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you open a "big" thread by clicking on the last page number rather than the thread name, it will take you to the last page.  Then all you have to do is slide the scroll bar on the right side of the page swiftly to the bottom and, Voila, you are there.

You know something else that is special about this site?  Every post from the beginning of it's inception is still available to be read.  There's some mighty good ones too.

Kevin

Yes, we are looking at this ... and thanks!  :D

swampwhiteoak

I will just say that out of all the forums that I read, this one is the easiest to follow by far.  The "new" tags tell me what I haven't read, so I can keep up on what people are saying.  

We've had a few threads "older folks", "woods walking", "did you know?", among others that have lasted a very long time with people constantly posting.  I don't think that would have happened if the thread stayed in the original position and got moved a few pages away.  Generally, the only way a post drops off the front page is if no one has posted for a week or so.  I appreciate not having to go through 10 pages to see if someone posted to a thread that was started two months ago.  However, I appreciate that I can go back and read an interesting thread that no one has posted to in a year.

This forum allows pictures, html tags, smilies, ect. that other forums sometimes don't.  I much prefer this format over others I frequent.

I've been posting here for a while and Jeff has upgraded and changed things around constantly.  The features and format have improved (aside from the spell check problem).

Will someone please explain to me why woodweb users have trouble with this site?  I just don't understand.  I find this site incredibly user-friendly.  

Like Tom said, Jeff's a sawyer, not a full-time webmaster.  We are here because he enjoys this and thinks it is valuable.  If people constantly bicker about the format it might not be so enjoyable to him.

Bibbyman

I like this Forum.  Sometimes I can't find the beef for the bull – sometimes.  ::) But it's a lot more fun then the Woodweb and you can collect trees.   ;)

I see quite a number of people registered but have never posted or only posted a time or two.  Life is not a spectator sport guys - so SAY SOMETHING! (so Tom doesn't have to say it all.) :'(

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

timberbeast

Most of the site I go to are similar to this,  so it's very user-friendly to me.  I suppose it's what you're used to.  The best part,  though is everyone is nice and there isn't any "flaming" kind of stuff going on.  It's a nice community which I feel priveledged to be part of. :)
Where the heck is my axe???

woodmills1

i say stay with the format.  I go here and woodweb and tractorbynet almost every day.  this is the one :D :D my only peeve is smalla pictures but hey thats what i get so i take it and resize as needed.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

Keep it like it is, Jeff! Like they taught us in Latin class- Illegitimi non carborundum! This site, the members, and the body of material have all grown together with your increasing versatility to come up with a whack of reconfiguration whenever necessary. You can't expect everyone to find it perfect ::)- but hopefully we can adhere to the rule I try to have in my own family- if you have a criticism I expect it to come along with a proposed solution. (now if I could just get them to listen to me..) :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

I like this the way it is.  It is the most friendly site I have found.  Even the tree huggers can't hold a candle to this site.  :D :D Everything is in its place without having to look through the same ol "stuff".   Jeff, thank you for such an effort that you and some of your friends have put forth for this site to exist.  I will learn more here I am sure than all the others combined and with a smile in the process.  PhD's do not always cover all of the bases of lifes world of forestry and the isssues within.   I have found that hands on is often times more real than the "book learnen" portion of lifes world of forestry. ::)  I will exit from my slippery soap-box with a smile. :)
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

QuoteL said whack.  cool :D

Dude! It is only logical. Look at his pic where he is 'reconfiguring the forestry server' If that is not whacking, then I don't know whacking.. :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

I'm just hoping no illegitimites are ruining my carborundum, good stone costs money :D.
I've been known to drive VW's and pick ups, we-un's can adapt, I like this format. It ain't the page it's the people, I stumbled in here right after buying a computer Jeff and the rest of you kinda nursed me along, its a big world out there but it was the only hand I ever saw.

Monday, you want Monday? Less than one rev on the truck this morning and the starter pukes... wait for the whiteout to subside go to town buy a new one. Come home, lay in snow, bolt on, no work. Go to town buy relay. Come home, stand up :) bolt on, no work. Trace to faulty starter, lay in snow unbolt, go to town get another, lay in snow (I don't like snow, if its not real apparent yet :D) Bolt on...WORKS...4:45 P.M. 102 miles, I love Monday ;D

DanG

Well, Bud-man, you asked for comments, and it looks like your gottem! ;D  

Jeff, you've got the finest forum I've ever participated in. I've been a forum junkie for several years, and this one is my favorite format. I was bitten by the sawing bug in 1972, when I first helped my friend with his Mobile Dimension mill, and that bug has been nibbling at my bony old butt ever since. Thanks to this forum, and all these great guys, here, I finally have my own mill.

I really like it when someone bothers to read way down the board, and comments on an old post. It always brings some knowledge to the top, that I, and dozens of passersby would never have gained. This doesn't happen on most of the forums that I have used. This is the best of many, great features.

Just keep on keeping on. You're doing a great job! :) :) :)

ps:  Don't worry about WW. They'll just bicker themselves into oblivion. FF  RULES!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

L. Wakefield

The illigitimis were tryin their derndest on that one yessah!

You know, people call me crazy- the more so the older I get- but now I can afford it I will sometimes just out of cussedness buy 2 or 3 of a part that breaks down just so if it happens again I can be smiling back at Murphy and waiting for him to try his next trick.

I have not yet gone so nuts-o as to do this type of thing with- say- tractor tires- I don't have a spare. But I've done it with old junks- once had 3 of them insured at once- and it got bad when 2 were already in the shop and the 3rd broke down--my insurance man was looking at me kinda strange cuz he knew at that point I was divorced..lw

woodmills1

woodmills1

where is my chainsaw. :D or my maul for that matter. i think its frozen under the ice. :D but the kioti got out from it. 8) yes he is whackin that server L.  we got bragin rights to the term whack.  as in ,a whack of wood was brought home to the landin.  or like, i got a whack of firewood ready for splittin and cuttin.  or i gotta whack of paper work left to do for tax time.  i really like the term and was tryin to say i liked the fact that you used it.  as in a whack a cudos for bein here with us. :D

Don P

I used to keep a whack of U joints in Oldfoot my old Dodge Power Wagon/ Skidder. Took me 3 to get a big White pine out one day. When the forwarder gear finally blew we had a reverser...for a little while :D.

Eggsander

I'll jump in and say it too, this site is the clearest and simplest forum I've used. I was recently following a thread on that "other" forum (it was about swing blade mills, and was darn good). Every time I went back I'd have to scroll to kingdom come to find the DanG thing. It's only logical to keep current threads at the top where they are most available to be read.
As to the members who post here, I don't know where you could find such a group anywhere else. 'Nuff said. 8)
Steve

Gordon

Bud-man, you realize that by posting this in a public forum you really have done put your foot in your mouth. Ok with that said. Everything is sort of relative. When it comes down to it. There are a few sites that I frequent and all are different but when it comes down to brass tacks there is only one that I"m not staring at ADS. Have you ever noticed that on this site you never see an ad..

Pretty cool you say, Jeff must have a free server---NOT---So unlike the other sites that are riding on ads, on this site your riding on Jeffs dime (by the way thanks Jeff ya big grumpy lol). So when there is a server or a programming problem can he call on his high dollar programmer to keep the site going. Nope it's just Jeff wacking away at the keyboard. ;D

So with having ads popping up on screen don't you honestly think bud man that it sure would be easy to buy some high dollar forum sofware. Ok I've pounded that one home now for the real deal.

Jeff keeps the site going and does a darn good job at it, cuz it's always here when I click it on my favorites. But the people are what really make the site good and as you can see from the former replies you have gotten----pretty much says this in a nut shell.

This aint no other forum its the FORESTRY FORUM NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS

Just a word of wisdom if you don't like something about someones forum it's always best to send a private message, you will take alot less of a beating that is unless that was what you were looking for to begin with

Gordon

Bud Man

Respondee's==Thanks for your imput !!Some of your imput has made  utilizing this unique forum easier!!   I too think this forum is more personal and I think that is what made me post this topic as a new topic. If I had added it to an  old thread- do you think it would have had this type of responce???(Doubt It)   Don't really think the pyramids need rebuilding and I was'nt making a motion for any sort of vote.    Seems like because it's more personal-- there's more responces to a few topics as Charlie alluded to, and as Bibbyman mentioned --If more people would participate theird be more subjects to talk about and The Forestry Forum would be more rewarding for everyone!!!!   Keep On Keeping On Folks (and participate)
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

psychotic1

I found this place a month ago while I was idly looking to compare different kinds of sawmills.  I knew then that it would be most of a year if not longer till I could get one, but I wanted to look anyway.  After searching around and deciding on which mill I wanted, I asked both here and over on WW what people thought of them, and if anyone had one.  Well, over there I got exactly two responses.  One was to buy a woodmizer because it was the only good mill out there, and the other only wanted to harp on the difference between the kerf of the chain mill I wanted and the band mill..
While I admit, the amount of information about the logosol wasn't exactly overwhelming from here either.  I was immediately welcomed and treated as one of the group.  This place has allowed me to learn an awful lot of info I would have had to get the hard way (by breaking things) and to have a good laugh doing it.  As to the format, well, I always figured "whatever works" and this works well enough for me.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Papa Dave

Jeff, I will put my two cents into the pot,too.

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO TO MAKE THIS A GREAT FORMUM FOR EVERYONE.

DanG

Gee, I hope we didn't run ol' BudMan off with all our vociferous comments.  I think he was just probing for input, and he really got some. :D

One more thing that I think makes this forum great, is the opportunity to personalize the messages, through the member profile. That makes a fella feel like he really belongs here, IMHO.

DanG
Full Member {TWEE TWEES}
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

DanG== I'm pretty thick skinned & old knees don't allow a lot of running.  But being a personal forum--I've learned you'se guys take things personal too !!   Will work on carefully wording things to keep yall's blood pressure down.   Also might change name to:KOBLONAVITCHSTEINSMITHSTONEROLLER to make yall work harder to personalize those VOCIFEROUS remarks.

Thank You Sponsors!