iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel, February 18, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KY colonel

What is the best sawmill that will do cross ties for the price? Or what do you need to look for in a mill for ties. Thanks

WH_Conley

What kind of production are you wanting to run? That could dictate anything from a band mill to a Scragg. What support equipment will you have, how many people? At this point in time, who are you going to sell ties and side lumber to?

By the way, Welcome to the forum and what part of the state are you in?
Bill

paul case

For me it is which ever one is running at the time.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

KY,

BTW - is this going to be stationary or portable?

Welcome to FF. I thought I read recently where some of the primary tie buyers were no longer buying. I suggest you be sure you have a good stable market before getting too deeply involved.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

Welcome KY Colonel.

To your question, IMHO a circle mill.

What's your thoughts or direction on sawing Ties?

Best
D

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

woodweasel

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on February 18, 2017, 11:01:20 PM
Hurdle

I've seen a few YouTubes of Hurdle mills making ties. You'd need a full time loader operator to keep the logs coming and taking ties away.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

You might want to search the forum on the state of the tie market right now before investing in a mill for expressly that purpose;
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2017, 10:51:40 AM
You might want to search the forum on the state of the tie market right now before investing in a mill for expressly that purpose;

I was thinking the same thing .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2017, 10:51:40 AM

IT is a very real possibility that wood ties will be a thing of the past in the very near future.

There is a company that is working with ALL the rail road companies and government researching a rubber composite tie that is proving to be extremely effective. There is currently about 3000 mile of them under test here in NA and about 10,000Km in Europe. They range in age from about 3 year old to about 8 years old.

So far the results are pretty incredible.

Government and rail Company approval for general use is expected in the spring likley May.
once approved the change out will ramp up as production allows to change out all wood ties with in 10 years.

When a rubber tie is worn to where it needs replacing, It goes back the the plant and is recycled in to a new tie.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

JB Griffin

Cleereman. But seriously I can't recommend buying a mill just for ties now.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

KY colonel

Good info guys . I would want one that could do ties but that I could use on our farm for other projects.

ozarkgem

Quote from: JB Griffin on February 19, 2017, 12:37:53 PM
Cleereman. But seriously I can't recommend buying a mill just for ties now.
Times  two. I think all the tie mills on here have been cut back. Better do lots of looking around and talk to the tie buyers before jumping in too deep for that market.  JMO  Waiting a few months will not change anything and might save you a truck load of money. One for the farm is a different story.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

BigZ La

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 19, 2017, 10:31:37 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on February 18, 2017, 11:01:20 PM
Hurdle

I've seen a few YouTubes of Hurdle mills making ties. You'd need a full time loader operator to keep the logs coming and taking ties away.

Had to look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBYPYUAOEkI

4x4American

With that sawyer, you would need prolly 3 tail men, a loader operator, and a full time guy banding packs of ties :D

And maybe a guy feed coffee and water to the sawyer lol
Boy, back in my day..

East ky logging

The tie market is about gone here in east Kentucky I haven't sold any since last summer. As far as a mill I have a woodmizer lt 15 that I have sawed a lot of ties on and a lot of lumber. It's all manual but I about always have at least one person helping usually two and you can saw quite a bit in a days time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

KY colonel

i see the woodmizer 15 is under 8k that would be great. i looked at norwood and a turner mill and they both was in that price range on simular mills. that sucks about ties but do you have a hard time getting rid of your lumber in east ky?

East ky logging

It's mostly in spurts seems like but I just saw when someone wants something I don't keep much on hand because I could never have what they wanted. Logging is my main business but sawing usually keeps us busy when it's to wet to do that. I could probably advertise and pick up more work but I've got about all I can handle now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

KY colonel

how would i find buyers in ky. also is there a market for the wood chips if you had a chipper?

Thank You Sponsors!