iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ok, try this one... should be easy...

Started by kwendt, April 14, 2015, 09:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

Sorry the picture is slightly out of focus for being too close, but you get the idea. Now I know what this common (to me), nuisance small bush/tree is...do you?

SDonk and CFarm.... both of you are disqualified... too easy for you!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

thecfarm

Oh yea. I'll let it go for a while. I like the way they grow along the ground for 3-4-5 feet than grow up. I have some down in the meadow,grass is real thick there,a real bother to cut.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

kwendt

Quote from: whiskers on April 14, 2015, 09:39:40 PM
chokeberry

... not quite. Check out the leaf shape and the 'checking' radiating off the leaf veins.
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

submarinesailor

Looks like wild grape.  But, the veins look wrong/different.

Bruce

kwendt

kwendt

Quote from: thecfarm on April 14, 2015, 09:30:38 PM
Oh yea. I'll let it go for a while. I like the way they grow along the ground for 3-4-5 feet than grow up. I have some down in the meadow, grass is real thick there, a real bother to cut.

Wow... I've yet to see that behavior. In my case, likely 'cause no one cut em down or bushhog'd in the back for seemingly like 8 years or so. So they just grow straight up... all over.  Seems to sprout like crazy. Bane of pastures, of brooks, of swamps... burns wicked hot, though not usually big enough around to be worth the effort. I don't know of any other use for it... 

beenthere

birch-like to me, possibly cherry birch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Biscuit wood. That might give it away.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

That would definitely match up to the leaf shape.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Nice for woodcock hunting on abandoned field. ;D Leaves are a bit rugose, eh?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I can't tell,I have specks all over my screen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kwendt

As usual....WDH... Gets it. We always called it alder-weed...lol. But my maine forestry book calls it speckled alder.  Score for CFarm! Chuckle...You guys are amazing....

Choke and nanny and service berry seem really close to me... I have yet to figure them out. When growing up, it was impressed upon me to never eat berries from trees. Lol... Unlike Eve... I listened. My grand dad was a doctor.... And he would describe (in embellished detail I'm sure), the agonies of eating from the wrong bush!

kwendt

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2015, 06:37:28 AM
I can't tell,I have specks all over my screen.
Laughing! Too funny. And here I figured that since it wasn't a commercially viable wood.... It might stump some of you...grin

SwampDonkey

Look up the latin and you'll see where rugose comes from to. :D

As to your 3 bushes with berries, they are all edible in your list. Only they are generally cooked to make a jelly/jam. Up this way at least. Although, nannyberry, squash berry or highbush cranberry are all very very closely related and look alike Viburnums. Chokecherries make good jelly to, have eaten it for years, still breathing anyway. Oh the hornets' nests that are buried in chokecherry and high-bush cranberry patches. ;D Line fence rows here are full of'em both.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kwendt

Rugose.... adjective
having wrinkles; wrinkled; ridged.
Botany. rough and wrinkled: applied to leaves in which the reticulate venation is very prominent beneath, with corresponding creases on the upper side.

Yup. Yup.  SDonk... Lol... I've got my passport... Will come over to er... Supervise the gathering of such berries???? ... Yeah... And maybe sample some of those gosh darned good jams! Lol Yes, I'm aware that cooking some berries and making jam is good... I'm just learning which ones are good and which ones poisonous... I have lots to learn!  Best not to make a mistake there!

SwampDonkey

The last time I got tazered by the hornets in the chokecherry patch, I said I wasn't pick'n no more. I can eat it, but no picking. :D Now we pick the cranberries off the yard bushes, and what we don't get the waxwings eat in the winter. Dang things found the strawberries last summer though and fleeced the whole dang patch. You could sit beside the patch, they didn't care, they wanted strawberries. :D

WDH

My favorite tree berry is mulberry.  My favorite one will be ready in early May. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

You have no waxwings to steal yours.  :D :D I was going to have my first white mulberries when I went to inspect the bushes and seen those berry thieves had stole every one. :D

enigmaT120

You guys finally have one I know but answer it before I see it.  Mine are Red Alder.  Sometimes they're worth as much as Douglas Fir, but not usually.  Good for the soil anyway. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!