iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WV Archery Doe

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 26, 2017, 08:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Bow season has been in here since 30 September but much of the time it has been way too hot to hunt. I have passed on many shots for several reasons. I left the does alone so my grandaughter could shoot one last Saturday on our special anterless youth hunt but when it came time to actually shoot one I had forgotten and left the scope on 9X and the doe was so close she could not find it. So we went and caught a bunch of catfish and we still had a good time. Today we had an early antlerless season on private land allowing us to use firearms but I took my bow in case a buck came out. He did and I whiffed an arrow right over him because I did not compensate for the steep downward angle. I watched a couple of does and let a young one go then about 9:30 this one returned and I decided to go ahead and collect her. I aimed low and the arrow stuck in her but sliced the bottom of her heart. I saw her fall about 100 yards away so I went home and got Sampson for some tracking training. He rode up on the back of my ATV and I dropped him near where I shot the doe. he quickly found the blood trail and trailed right to her. I praised him and he later got the heart and liver to share with our old Aussie. I figure having a good tracking dog is always a good thing in case my friends and neighbors or I ever need help finding a wounded deer.

Live weight 128 lbs. I'm so close to the skinning rack I never field dress them. Much easier to skin intact IMHO. Old doe with lots of white on her face.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kderby

Yum!

She will cook up just fine.

I have had venison twice this week for dinner and I am looking forward to more.  We love the crock pot.

Renewable resources like deer and elk are amazing.  Think of all the hunting over all the years and there are still plenty of deer out my back door every day.  The elk are up on the mountain.  Friends and family harvest some every year. 

Yum!

KDerby

Weekend_Sawyer

Sausage!!!

good harvest WV!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

Right now most of her is going for roasts. Neck always makes a roast, shoulders made several and the hams for roast this time. I may cube the loins and tenderloin. The small pieces will make make 12-15 lb s of bulk sausage. I mix it about 4:1 with cheap sausage to keep it from being dry and have sausage mix from a local sporting goods store (Dunham's) that we like well.

I grind the sausage, make meatballs with an ice cream scoop and once in the vacuum bag we flatten them out into the patties then seal them. Works fine for us.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

joman

What a  nice memory that you will have of spending time with your granddaughter and getting some good eats to boot.
89 Woodmizer LT40HD
Morgan LittleChamp Edger

LaneC

That dog will be a very good trailer now. That heart and liver will make them a very good dog from my experience. However, you may get calls in the middle of the night for the assistance of that now famous dog ;). once folks know, "if you have it, they will call" :D. To me, that was always a good thing because they always found the deer, and it did not go to waste.
Man makes plans and God smiles

WV Sawmiller

We will see if Sampson becomes all that popular. I would be glad to help folks find and recover their lost deer I hate to see one go to waste.

We had a Norwegian daughter (Exchange student) who hunts with her dad back in Norway. She told me one of the requirements to hunt in Norway was for you or your club to have or have access to a certified (By their DNR equivalent) tracking dog to help recover wounded game. Ruth has 2 Norwegian Elk hounds and she has at least one certified. The last I remember she was working on getting the second one certified. The agent lays a specified trail (with different degrees of difficulty) of sheep blood then with the agent watching the dog has to trail to end.

I remember Ruth said the local police/DNR would sometimes call her to come help recover road killed/injured deer (their deer look about like our elk), Moose (In Norway a Moose is called an Elk so a Norwegian Elk Hound was actually bred to be a moose dog), reindeer (her area has the largest remaining huntable population of wild reindeer), roedeer (similar to but smaller than a whitetail deer), etc. They either pay her or she gets part or all the meat. In Norway and other parts of Europe you can sell legally harvested game. As I remember when I was working there you could buy Moose in the local grocery stores about as cheaply as you could beef.
Howard Green

LaneC

Have you had to use Sampson for any trailing lately?

WV Sawmiller

I have not shot at anything since this doe nor has anyone called on me to bring him by. I've been seeing plenty of deer but the ones I want to shoot stay out of bow range. There are several I know by name but won't shoot them this year - most have nearly grown fawns with them.

I really should set some box traps and catch a squirrel or two and see if I can make him into a squirrel dog. It is in his nature and I used to bring home an occasional road kill and hang it up and he'd tree it. I just don't like to hunt squirrels because it near where I deer hunt but I should train him and take the granddaughers out with him. If you've never had a world class squirrel dog and taken a kid hunting with him you don't know what you are missing.
Howard Green

Chuck White

I believe that if more states allowed recovery dogs to find wounded/injured deer, it would be a really good thing, and a lot less loss!

It would be good even if the dog had to be kept on a leash while trailing the deer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LaneC

That is how we did it, kept them on a leash. I really did not know it was illegal in some states.

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I'm with Lane. I thought using one on a leash to trail up a wounded animal would be legal in all states. That's how I use Sampson most of the time. Since this case was just training and I already knew where the deer had fallen I let him run free to it. I would be surprised at any Game Warden giving anyone a ticket for honestly trailing a wounded deer with a dog on a leash. Have you ever encountered such?

I grew up in the South and many states allowed us to use dogs to hunt deer and that is how I got started. In all honesty I never shot a deer the dogs were chasing (I tried a few times but they were moving too fast. :D :D :D) but I did kill deer that might have been moving because of all the activity in the area.
Howard Green

Chuck White

I'm not exactly sure, but I do think it's illegal to use a tracking dog to find a wounded/dead deer here in NY!

I'll have to do research and find out for sure!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LaneC

Have you used Sampson lately? Hopefully he is a good tracker now.

WV Sawmiller

No, I shot another one a week ago with a rifle but was an instant kill and nothing to trail. I think I will trap a couple of fox squirrels and let him trail and tree them. He loves to jump on back of my ATV and ride around with me.

We were gone to Charlotte NC for the weekend so he was really excited to see us come home this afternoon. He got to run around the pasture and wood yard while I fed the horse and mule.
Howard Green

LaneC

ok, guns are good too. We have had to track them being taken with a gun before, but not many times at all.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 15, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
I would be surprised at any Game Warden giving anyone a ticket for honestly trailing a wounded deer with a dog on a leash. Have you ever encountered such?   

Our game wardens would not hesitate to give you a ticket for having a tracking dog off leash.  Our state is broke.  We don't get warnings, only tickets.  A game warden stopped me and several friends pheasant hunting.  He said, "I know you're guilty of something, I just have to find out what."  We were all legal and he left disappointed.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

thecfarm

That warden needs to find another job. fast!!!!!  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

ToddsPoint,

Sorry to hear you have that kind of game warden. They give the good ones a bad name and sometimes don't even find their way out of the woods. Would he give you a ticket for tracking a deer if the dog was on the leash? That was the question I had asked Chuck about NY rules.

My grandfather was one of the early game wardens in Florida. He knew all the illegal hunters in the area because he had hunted gators, plumes, night hunting and shot fish and such with all of them all his life.  :D Of course many of those things, especially gator hunting, was legal most of the time he did it. He used to say the way he saw it he was the first judge because he decided whether to write a ticket or not. He gave lots of warnings and provided training where appropriate. He would often "nearly catch" an offender to scare them into stopping. If it worked everybody was happy. If the guy got cocky and bragged about it the next time he did get caught. Grandpa saw a big difference between somebody hunting or fishing illegally to put meat on the table and someone shooting for sport or profit.

I remember the tale about a game warden walking up on a bunch of hunters and saying "Ok boys lets see some hunting licences and duck stamp." One hunter broke and ran. The GW chased him for half a mile before catching him at which time the hunter produced a valid licence with duck stamp and owners permit to be hunting in that area. The GW said "You're all legal. Why did you run?" The hunter said "Those other guys did not have any."
Howard Green

LaneC

Chuck White

Sorry it has taken so long to provide the answer!

Just got off the phone with a regional Game Warden and he said there are organizations across NY who track wounded deer with their dogs (it's all volunteer, no fee)!

I asked about using your own dog, whether on or off leash and he said as long as you have control, voice or leash of your dog, that it is legal!

He also emphasized CONTROL!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a reasonable regulation in a state where hunting with free ranging dogs is illegal. I think it would be more of a crime to not make every effort to track down and recover any wounded animal than to allow controlled use of tracking dogs and such.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!