iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yukon Men

Started by tyb525, October 05, 2012, 09:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Anyone see this show? Just started watching, looked like an interesting show at first, until I noticed everyone seems to be doing things without using their brain? Like the gray-haired guy anchoring a winch on an obviously rotten stump and then almost breaking his arm when it breaks off and the cable snaps back, or when they cut down a tree and he is standing directly in the path and barely escapes. Moving a cabin on logs with a pickup truck?

I'm a little disappointed, another show with people who don't know what they're doing, doing stupid things ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

fuzzybear

OK? this is the first I've heard of this show. Let's see how they portray us here in the north. We really appreciate how they have made gold mining look here. ::) Too bad real gold mining isn't that dramatic.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

WDH

I gave up on that show real fast.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

It's like most of the so called reality shows being highly scripted and sensationaized .It is entertainement though .A lot better than listening to Nancy Grace drone on and on .

Mooseherder

Wasn't the cabin pulled by a bulldozer?  They used the truck to get the tree dragged behind with a low trailer used to get the end off the ground.
These shows are still better than sitcoms and cop shows in my book though.
On one episode where the boy wrecks his dad's snowmobile and tries to pay for the repairs by cutting firewood.
He hauls a sled by hand through snow.  The sled is meant to be pulled by a snowmobile. :D
The narrator says he'll need ten cords as he's struggling with this thing.  The kid returns with 6 pecker poles, is all wore out and the narrator says now that he's done. :D

Warbird

That's not how it really is in the Yukon nor in the Arctic.  All of these reality shows lie to you.

tyb525

The part I saw was him dragging a cabin down the road on top of two logs. And then having to stop and get a military truck cause the fuel pump on his truck is overheating ??? didn't make much sense to me.

I understand it's rough out there, but all I saw was them doing things in such a hard way that they couldn't keep it up for long.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Mooseherder

My DVR recorded the last episode on the spring log jam.
This is where they harvest their firewood from floating logs going down the river with root balls.  They have to work real hard at it.
The previous episode lost one of their townspeople thru the ice while on snowmobile.  He was out bird hunting and got caught on an early thaw.
They have fishing season coming soon.

Okrafarmer

They probably filmed the whole show on location in Maine.

Stop and think about it.

Sorry, no offense, people. . . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Mooseherder

I'm not following what you're saying ???

isawlogs

I watch that show, it is entertaining at the very least... One needs to part out the drama and look at the scenery. Much better then CSI, I mean how can we have criminals out there when these guys are finding them by picking up a hair strand with a pair of tweezers on the carpetted floor of a hotel in downtown Miami.....   ::)
  I much rather watch the guy break down with his snowmobile and see him and his camera crew walk ten miles back to the cabine , in the morning walk back to the machine abackbacking a motor , change the motor  and get bck to his trap line... dat guys tuff  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 07, 2012, 10:20:50 PM
They probably filmed the whole show on location in Maine.

Stop and think about it.

Sorry, no offense, people. . . . .
Quote from: Mooseherder on October 07, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
I'm not following what you're saying ???

Ah, well, I'm just implying that some of the idiotic things people are making fun of here, might be a reality in Maine. I've known a lot of people in Maine, and I been one.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Mooseherder

Have you been watching this show?

Kansas

We could start our own reality show around here.

Guy hooks up to a portable mill. Then notices he has a flat tire on the mill. Guy unhooks, takes the tire off and goes to town to get it fixed. Hooks back up.

Guy gets to the cutting site, only to discover that those 24" diameter logs he was promised are actually closer to 10 inch. Customer wants to know how many 2x12's he can get out of them. Guy attempts to tell customer that you can't get those boards out of a 10 inch log, and the logs are of lousy quality.

Guy sets up and starts sawing. He promptly saws into a stop. Guy changes blade.

Guy starts cutting and runs into the turner. At this point, the reality show is R rated due to language. Guy changes blade.

Guy finally finishes the job and presents the bill. Customer says, I am not paying for all those boards with knots and gaping holes. Besides, I wanted 2x12's. You don't know how to saw! At this point the show is R rated due to violence as well.

stumpy

I look at it a little different.  I see these people living in a world with limited money, no tech schools, no OSHA, no formal training, no safety meetings, no "nanny state" bureaucrats, no building inspectors, etc.  Sure they do things that most of us would think stupid, I'd say they get along pretty good being self taught and willing to work. The other thing is the producers and narrators are probably all city folks who know even less about what these people are doing so the show interprets some of it.  I bet some of the natives would scratch their heads as well if they watch the show and hear how the narrator describe what they're doing.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 08, 2012, 06:20:55 AM
Have you been watching this show?

No, just going by some of the descriptions. Sorry, just horsing around a bit.  :-X

Jeff

I've been watching it, and personally, I think it is one of the better shows of that type. The house was towed by a big dozer.  The episode where they were searching for, found, buried, and mourned  was very good and very real. Townspeople built his coffin and did the burial.  Sure, there is some studd stretched and manuipulated by the producers just like in the other shows, but for the most part, we are seeing people in a remote area doing what they need to do to live.  I like it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I like it for whatever that's worth ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I watch and enjoy most all of the "reality" programs because I watch very little of the "other".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

It's sure a lot better than Swamp People..... Narrator tells you they just caught a six hundred pound gator as the guy pulls it on board by himself..... smiley_thumbsdown

clww

I enjoy watching the show. I enjoy it better than "Ice Road Truckers" or "Axmen".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Warbird

They should rename the show to "Yukon Women".  And with that, I'll be running along before Jeff gets ahold of me. 

;D  smiley_horserider

Mooseherder

I wonder why they fog over the brand names of vehicles and snowmobiles?
I've never noticed any other show doing that.

Okrafarmer

I don't know for a fact, but it could have to do with what is known as imbedded advertising. Sometimes a show or movie will make a contract with a certain company, and agree to use their vehicles or other products in their show. This could be a new extreme to such a contract, where, if they show another company's vehicle, they blur out the name so as to deliberately diss the competition.

Or it could have to do with some kind of lawsuit. . . .  :-\

tyb525

I do agree the part where the whole community built the coffin was a neat one. And I totally understand the lack of osha, formal education, etc. I know they gotta do what they gotta do to survive. Just seems like they could still have a good show without some of the acting for the camera they seem to do. But as others have said it is better than a lot of other reality tv shows I have seen.

I guess the perfect reality show for me would be one with only simple narration, and maybe just one or two cameras instead of dozens :)

Something like "Alone in the Wilderness" by Dick Proenneke.

Thank You Sponsors!