iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new land!

Started by lude791, August 31, 2011, 09:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lude791

morning everyone, i just bought a piece of land of 68 acres! very good price and all..... its located in quebec, canada
theres a nice mix of mature trees    (use to be a tree plantation, around 20 acres, 30 yrs ago)

so i have a few little questions:

1)  thinking/looking into buying a sawmill lt10-lt15, with an edgers/planer
so that i can start cutting to reduce the cost of building my house... is this a good idea? can i use the wood i cut to build legally?
is it a good idea?  im in no rush to build... since my savings went to buying the land. (btw it wouldnt be a log cabin)

does anyone have any suggestions on other equipment i could use/need?
money wise would it be a good idea?
any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Raider Bill

Congrats and welcome!!!

The guys with your answers will be along shortly ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

You may want to check the local regulations, but I believe the lumber will have to be grade stamped because: 1) if it's financed it will probably have to be built to professional plans, which leads to 2) It will be required to be insured. Outside of that, I guess you take your chances. If you go it alone, don't mention a sawmill to the insurance people, because it will likely be followed by a whole lot of questions. Number 3) is maybe you can get the NLGA to grade your lumber, there will be a fee.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

congrats on the new land purchase.  can you cut your own logs into lumber to build your house? i did. you better check the local regs but i bet you can as well. the framing lumber alone paid for my  mill. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jasperfield

Any time a person has  to question whether the wood he has sawn can be used to build his house, and so forth; There lies a real problem with his government, be it local or national.

Mooseherder

Yes, and we should make sure these laws get changed back around.

SwampDonkey

The insurance is just as bad as any law, and usually go hand in hand. My uncle had square Selkirk chimney and that wasn't good enough for the insurance, they wanted round. It's stuff like that, that is criminal. Not that a building should be made from material that makes the grade. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jdonovan

Quote from: lude791 on August 31, 2011, 09:02:51 AM
1)  thinking/looking into buying a sawmill lt10-lt15, with an edgers/planer
so that i can start cutting to reduce the cost of building my house... is this a good idea? can i use the wood i cut to build legally?

Talk to a builder and see what the cost of dimensional lumber would be for the home you want to build. It may surprise you how little of a homes cost is 2x material.

Had a builder friend who was putting up a 3000 sq-ft home here in Virginia, and his dimensional cost was only about 20,000, on a $750,000 home. He did suggest that trim, molding, casements, sills, etc... there was quite a few feet of that type material and at a few bucks a foot it doesn't take too long to make some savings if you make it yourself.

thecfarm

Congrats on your land purchase and welcome to the forum.
Going to need something to get the logs out of the woods to the sawmill. Some do it with a ATV,I have a 4 wheel drive tractor with a loader, a skidder,skid steer,dozer. I would suggest some old steel roofing to cover up your lumber to dry it.Ever been around a sawmill before? Need to dry your lumber correctly.Meaning need a good foundation and sticker and stack it right. It's good you have the time to ask questions and plan your dream out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

park ranger

I would buy a skidder.  I bought the sawmill first and had no way to move stuff around.  I cleared my house site with a skidder, so much faster than digging stumps,  just push over trees and drag stuff around.  The logs are mostly lifted up and away from the dirt.  Then rent an excavator and dozer for the rest.  You can probably find a portable sawyer to come to the site and mill to see what you think.  Lots of the wood in my house is home sawed, the framing inspector said not to use it for floor joists or rafters but everything else was fine.  I would build a big shop first.

Al_Smith

Oh it most likely depends on where you are at as to  any regulations that must be followed .Where I'm at all they want is a permit so they know to tax you more .There are no real inspections .

As far as building ,the framing lumber is not where the big expense comes in it's more the finish materials .You can buy premium quality as oppossed to stuff with bark on all four corners and not raise the price that much .A lot nicer to work with too instead of sled runners that you save maybe 40 cents a 2 by 4 by 8 .That stuff would have served better had they chipped it for OSB .What you think you save in material cost will be over shadowed by frustration .

Magicman

Welcome lude791, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPIKER

what about building a log cabin?   logs that range should make some verynice cabin material;)

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!