iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT40 - no forawrd

Started by dad2nine, March 23, 2010, 08:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Got a problem with my WM LT40 - the OL (not OV) light is lit on the circuit board inside the back upper right hand corner of the control box. I'm not sure what OL stands, for maybe Over Load? I called WM and the gent I talked to on the phone sent out a new circuit board and a pot (variable speed), which I installed and still have the same problem. The OL light is still lit on the new circuit board too. I read on here if the OV light is lit it's recommended to replace the entire back panel circuity... any advise on the OV light lit and what may be causing it?

I have reverse but no forward at all - before the forward stopped working all together it only went forward one speed... then it just stopped. I checked everything from the drum switch, the wiring connectors, breakers, etc... This one has me stumped  :P

Thanks

John_Haylow

I had the same problem last fall...I would have bet you had the same problem.Here is the thread I started.Hope it helps you.
John

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40344.0.html
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

bd354

Could the OL mean open line? I think I've seen that on a digital test meter of mine.

dad2nine

Just checked my invoice for the parts that were replaced - if it helps any

024396-1 Control Module Assy, P/F SMT Service 97+
024450-1 Potentiometer Kit, Feed Rate Control 92+

Also according to info in the post john started, OL - This light indicates an extreme overload condition of the power feed motor caused by a mechanical bind or a short in the wiring between the motor and circuit board. The OL light will come on and deactivate the power feed control output until the problem is corrected.

I guess it's time to roll around in the sawdust... Still odd I have reverse but no forward if it were a short or mechanical bind I would thing that would show up in both directions

backwoods sawyer

Get your multi meter out and give woodmizer a call again and they will talk you thru the trouble shooting steps. They can pull up the schematics for your year and model of mill and they are very helpful to boot. I had this same scenario until I was up graded from accuset to accuset 2. Seems like it always let to the mosfet board. The remedy to the failing mosfet board was a 1/16 aluminum shim to transfer the heat.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

Quote from: dad2nine on March 23, 2010, 08:46:00 PM
... Still odd I have reverse but no forward if it were a short or mechanical bind I would thing that would show up in both directions

The drum switch bypasses the speed control board in reverse. I'd be looking for a short in the wiring around the board.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

LeeB

I'm with Backwoods on this. Me thinks mosfet board. That is what it was when I had this problem.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brux

Had the same problem just 3 weeks ago your board with the indicater lights is problaly bad. My Lt 40 only has only 170 hrs and it went out. $165 plus shipping and you should be good to go. Now every time I start the mill I run it backward so that if there is a bind it doen't fry a expensive board.
Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

dad2nine

Well I called WM a few times today and after some trouble shooting with a volt meter and a 12 volt test light they are sending me out another 024396-1 Control Module Assy, P/F SMT Service 97+, should have it tomorrow. I like the guys at WM, their customer service is top notch. Also listening to the hill billy comedian while on hold is a plus too (every thing you do kills brain cells but nothing can kill a fat cell) :D

Papa1stuff

Isn't the comedien great ,the only trouble ,is the answer the phone in the middle of agood joke :( ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

dad2nine

Well the 024396-1 Control Module Assy, P/F SMT Service 97+ came today and still no go... after more phone time and trouble shooting, WM is sending two boards tomorrow. Another control module and a smaller board with a row of what looks like transistors.

John_Haylow

That's unfortunate that you didn't get up and running today.I sure will be curious to hear what the problem was.

John

dad2nine

It's now running :) it was the Module Assy, Mosfet SMT 97+ P/F, WM sent a Mosfet along with another Control Module Assy, P/F SMT Service 97+. I installed the Mosfet and tested all 4 Control Modules. Then called WM to tell them that fixed the problem and WM is sending out shipping labels. Since all the Control Modules worked, I'm sending 2 of them back to WM and keeping the one I paid for and the original one that came with the sawmill.

Thanks WM for great customer service... I'm slinging saw dust again and I'm a happy camper  8)

John_Haylow

Glad you have it up and running. 8)

ljmathias

dad2nine: turns out, the forward on my LT40 just failed also.  Can you expand on your trouble shooting process or did you just replace boards till it solved the problem?  I'd like to narrow it down so I get the right board as fast as possible- got a small pile of logs that need cutting real bad.  Guess I could cut in reverse but I'd have to put the blade on backwards...  :o

Thanks.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Quote from: ljmathias on April 11, 2010, 07:36:41 AM
turns out, the forward on my LT40 just failed also   Thanks.   Lj 

That's not your only "forward" that's not working..... :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Low blow, Lynn- that's why cameras should be banned at all Southern Chapter get togethers!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

:D :D :D  At least "yours" is working again.... :D :D :D

Let's not band them.....Having fun is too much fun.... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Finally did what needed doing- called Woodmizer and it took a total of 5 minutes to read the lights on the control board and the ET diagnosed it- couple hundred bucks later and the board should be here tomorrow.  Should be back up and running tomorrow afternoon.

Lj

Magicman

Keep us posted, Lon.  Sooner or later I guess each of us will have the same problem.

ljmathias

Trouble shooting was on the mark- got the board in and installed late this afternoon, was so happy to have it working again, made sawdust till dusk... got some lumber out of it, too- several nice popular gave some clear, beautifully colored 8 and 12" 4-4 boards, a couple  short, small cherry "logs" gave some smooth, clear 4" boards.  Was having so much fun, forgot to change the blade and didn't notice the teeth marks till the last board- oh, well, I'll put on a new blade in the morning and cut some more; sticker in the afternoon and  I should be almost caught up.  Got some fresh SYP to make 2X lumber for drying to get ready for my son's house later in the summer, more fresh poplar and some delicately aged and (hopefully) spalted red and white oak that had been laying on the back half of my daughter's place lo, these almost 5 years... (Katrina downings). Man, this is fun!  Almost as much fun as playing with the grandkids, which I did some before getting caught up in the mill (well, not literally, of course).

Hope you all had as great a day. Happy Tax Day!

Lj

Magicman

Glad that fixed it Lj.  Happy sawing....... 8)

Thank You Sponsors!