iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

14" bandsaw recommendations

Started by flip, September 13, 2006, 01:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I have some small hanging displays I'm making for a garden tool distributor and would like to get a bandsaw to cut the arch on part of the display.  I have read tons of reviews but they all are about the same.  I would like to get one that has the basic features, 1/8-3/4 band 3/4 -1 hp motor, 6" cut (would be nice to get one that has a spacer block to get it up to 12" cut) We have a Homer store that sells the Rigid line but not sure of quality of that product, just a few vague reviews.  Would also like to stay under the $500 mark and new (ebay doesn't have much on right now)

Thanks, Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

I've heard good reviews on Rigid shop tools. Don't have any myself, but don't need to buy any either.
Stretching one out would be a good idea.

What size are the curved panels you will be sawing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

It is about 32" from end to end, flat on sides and bottom, slight curve on the top.  we have used the table saw and nipped then run the belt sander across the edge.  The customer wants it all rough so a band saw would save me a little time and belts plus it's a good excuse to get one.

metalspinner

I have the Delta 14" with a riser blosk.  It is really a good sawand will fulfill many of your future needs without needing to upgrade.  With $500 you will need to go used on this, though.  They last forever, so a used one would be money well spent. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Re Rigid shop tools, clearly their plumbing tools are excellent.  The only woodworking tool that I bought of theirs was a benchtop planer (13" or so).  The motor started going out after doing about 10 8/4 x 10" oak boards.  I finally gave it to a friend of mine.

Have heard good things about Powermatic, Delta, Jet and Grizzly's small band saws.  I have a 24" Grizzly with no complaints.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thurlow

I've got a 14" Rigid (BS 1400 series).  I think it was something better than 300 bucks 5 or 6 years ago.  Since it's the only (woodworking) bandsaw I've ever owned, I can't compare it to others.  It came with 3/8 inch blade and I wasn't happy with it.  I could never get the tension right so it would saw to suit me.  Trying to make some folding candlesticks out of 5/4 red oak and the blade would wander as much as 1/8 inch.  Finally ordered some 3/4 inch blades and it works perfectly.  Of course, you can't cut a very tight radius with them.  Finished up the last of 10 of these candlesticks .........for our church Craft's Fair........... this morning.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Den Socling

I have a Grizzly GO555. It's 14", 1 HP, takes bands from1/16 to 3/4" and is just a nice machine. They were around $425. Made in Taiwan.

Larry

That's a pretty clever idea thurlow, and quite attractive.

Lowes had the Delta 14" machine earlier this year for $395 with a 3/4 HP motor if I remember right.  Grizzly, Delta, Ridgid...there all pretty much the same.  You can run a 3/4" band on the 14" machines but it won't tension it properly, even with a high tension spring.  1/2" Woodslicer for re-sawing is the ticket.

Used is really where the bargains are...and you might be able to find a bigger machine for less money.  Just make sure it is in working condition...price of parts add up fast.  The older 12" Craftsman would work for you and is a real bargain.  The older ones had a cast iron table which is better than the newer ribbed aluminum tables.  If you come across a Walker Turner say in the 16 to 20" range please call. ;D ;D

I've rebuilt 4 different bandsaws in the last 6 months.  Last one is a old 14" Delta.  Riser block, 1 1/2 hp motor, added dust port, balanced pulleys, and bunch of other tricks.  The lady just needs a paint job.  Don't think I'm gonna let this one leave.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wiam

I found that pattern in a book, maybe "Weekend wood working projects"  I have thought about trying it.

Will

metalspinner

QuoteLowes had the Delta 14" machine earlier this year for $395 with a 3/4 HP motor if I remember right.
That can't be the same machine that Woodcraft is selling for $895.  What is the differance other than the motor HP?

Larry

The Lowes saw has an open stand while the Woodcraft saw has a closed stand, twice the horsepower, and maybe they throw in a mobile base.  That's bout the only difference.  Just made a quick check and Amazon is selling the same saws.  They have the open stand 3/4 hp model for $279 plus $99 shipping so that beats Lowes price by a tick. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jkj

I think most people will recommend the bandsaw that they use - most seem to do the trick unless they are underpowered.  Delta and Jet seem popular.

I use a Delta with riser block for general use, shop resawing, and processing thick green turning blanks.  I added a high tension spring and cool block fiber blade guides.  The most useful thing I added is a Carter quick tensioner.

For those unaware of it's existance, a company named Itura Design in Jacksonville FL is the best resource I've found for information and accessories for bandsaws.  Call and ask for a catalog and you'll get a 238 page book full of advice, tuneup tips, and even history.  They don't have a web site as far as I know - phone toll-free: 866-883-8064, office: 904-642-2802, email: KALLL@comcast.net

There are a couple of great bandsaw books with invaluable information.  My favorite is the Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

flip

Well, I went to the Depot and looked at the Ridgid last night and am less than impressed.  Stand seemed too easy to move, guides were not roller, just didn't seem like a strong machine.  Next closest dealer for any type of wood working machines is in Evansville about 50 miles south, may take a trip after work on Sat.  I called and they said that there is a JET 14" for $619 a Delta 18" for $1249 and a Rikon 18" for $1200 which is well more than what I want now.  I guess back to the internet for more searching...

Flip

metalspinner

Flip,
This is where I bought my 14" Delta.  It is factory reconditioned.  I have been using it hard for six years now and still works great.  The only thing that wore out so far is the lower thrust bearing.  A new one was just $5.  I upgraded the tension spring as mentioned earlier and the saw improved dramatically.
On the same trip I picked up the Delta 6" by 48" belt sander with a 12" sanding disc and a Jet 6" jointer.  They have reconditioned drum sanders and just about everything else periodically.  It's one of those stores that you need to be really careful in. :)

http://workshoptools.com/

Raphael

Rigid reviews are very mixed, people who've used other 14" bandsaws tend to say they're not stabile enough (too much vibration).  Other people seem to love them.
  I've been looking at the Grizzly line (debating on 14" vs. 17") as they seem to have good reviews and hold their value fairly well.  I just watched a ten year old 15" Grizzly go for $405 on eBay and almost bid except this caught my eye:

30" wheels, 220volt single phase, 3Hp., $280.00...
I'm picking it up later this week.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ksu_chainsaw

In the Oct. 06 issue of WOOD magazine, they have a good article about tuning up bandsaws.  The guy in the article tuned up a Rigid saw to compare with a General International saw, for not much money. 

It's worth a look, in my opinion.

Charles

scgargoyle

Whatever you get, don't cheap out on blades. I have a Sears 12" that was useless until I spent the money for a decent blade. More horsepower helps, too. Mine originally had  1/2 hp; I upgraded to 1 hp- much better. Getting everything in proper adjustment is the third big factor. Take your time setting it up, and check it from time to time.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Thank You Sponsors!