iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how long can trees lay before sawing

Started by log lineman, April 16, 2011, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

log lineman

I am new member on the forum but have been reading it for a while. My question is I have got a lot being cleared for a cabin and I am saving all my Poplar to saw later how long can it lay 10to12inchs off the ground and be able saw it later I have coated the ends with coolseal.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum. I can't advise on the poplar, sorry.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

log lineman
Welcome to the forum.
What do you want to make out of the poplar logs, assuming they are yellow poplar?
How large are the logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

log lineman

I guess they are yellow poplar it is Nc. they range from 16 to 30 inchs I was planning on using it for framing and siding not the best choice for siding but it is free and all of it will be under the roof of a covered porch plus I will put a sealer on it.

WDH

It is getting to be summer and they will stain in summer in NC.  I would want to saw them in 3 or 4 weeks if you want the wood to be white/natural color.

I cut some pine a week ago and left the boards stacked against each other standing on the side of the barn.  I moved them today and they were already blue-stained.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jasperfield

log lineman

Jasperfield I am in a little place outside of Franklin called Nantahala I dont live there we live in south Ga. just have a lot there  hoping to build a cabin on it. where are you located in Nc.?

WDH

Logman,

That is beautiful country where your lot is.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum log lineman.  After Hurricane Katrina, I sawed Poplar for a couple of years that had lain in the woods with the root ball and limbs keeping it off of the ground.  It was "off color" but it was used as siding and would be allowed to weather anyway.  As long is it has no ground contact and will not be splattered with rain runoff, it will serve well as siding without any sealer, etc. 

I have also sawed many Mbf of poplar framing lumber but it will not meet grading specifications.  Of course, that is a whole 'nother subject.

There is no sealer on this cabin's Poplar siding.  It was built in 2006 and the siding is now a weathered silvery color.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Yellow poplar in the weather degrades pretty fast- "dry" rot eats it up plus it gets spalted and discolored pretty bad.  Why not have someone cut it up now when it has more value, then sticker and stack, put a tin "roof" on it with lots of air space and let it get dry for use?  I love working with it- cuts like butter when it's green and air dries nicely to give beautiful lumber.  But then, you gotta do what you gotta do....

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

log lineman

yes that might be what I have to do find someone local to saw it for me I was just hoping if it would keep for about two years I wood saw it myself but I will let someone saw it before I let it go to waste.

tyb525

It works great for siding, as long as it is kept off the ground.

If you keep the logs off the ground, they should keep pretty well for a few months, although they'll be discolored.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Quote from: log lineman on April 19, 2011, 10:41:17 AM
yes that might be what I have to do find someone local to saw it for me I was just hoping if it would keep for about two years I wood saw it myself but I will let someone saw it before I let it go to waste.
That would be a good move, and then you can be more confident that you will have the lumber from your wood. Two years can slip to more very easily. And two years is beyond the life one could expect for the y. poplar logs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jasperfield

Log Lineman,

I'm in Luck NC, about 30 miles (by air) North Northeast from Balsam Gap. Just barely in Madison Co. from Haywood Co.

This week I'll be in the Nantahala Gorge for some continuing engineering education hours at the NOC center.

I'm thinking you're place might be at Nantahala Lake or Village. I've surveyed all over that country, and had hangers at Franklin and Andrews.

This Summer you'll be about 20-25 degrees cooler than South Georgia. I believe you'll really like here.

Knute

I sided my garage with poplar about 8 years ago and it is working fine. Sawed the boards 5/8" thick and air dried. Logs were cut in January and milled in July with no problems. This is in Wisconsin where it would not be real warm untill June.

Magicman

I sawed Poplar Friday that had lain for a couple of years.  The sapwood was rotten, but the heartwood was solid and still held it's colors.  The customer was very satisfied.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

log lineman

I have been out of town working on the tornado restoration in Alabama or I would have responded earlier thanks for all the advice it was alot of help when you are just learning it is nice to have a place to turn to get advice when you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!