iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ERC Jackpot

Started by Deese, October 17, 2013, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I have been extremely busy lately, and haven't had time to visit the forum over the past few weeks.
However, I hit the ERC JACKPOT yesterday afternoon. There are 6 logs on that trailer. Only cost me $60 for the entire load. Not bad, huh?

I cut an 8' section from one of them last night and this is where I ended...

This is my second experience with ERC. The first was a few weeks ago...a customer brought a HUGE ERC log and it was ridiculously hard to saw...I went through 3 blades on that job.

This piece (the one I cut last night) was the easiest cant I have sawed thus far. I could just barely tell that I was sawing anything at all as the blade eased through the log...Interesting... ??? I'm guessing it's because these trees were recently cut, and my customer's log appeared to have been on the ground for a LONG time.

Anyways, I want to cut all of these logs for interior wall paneling for my house. How thick should I cut them for this purpose?  1/4" or 1/2" ? 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

SPIKER

thickness?  depends on WHAT you are doing over drywall or in-place-of on new build etc.   The electrical outlets already installed?   

If retro-fit into existing home you have to think about trim, windows elec outlets etc.   there are Mud Extension Boxes that will extend out existing elec. boxes by several sizes.   3/8" and 1/2" is most common, check your local supply house/menards/lowes/home depot to see what they stock.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

Nice stuff.  ;D Are you sawing out the included bark or leaving it?

$60 is pretty close to free. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good catch Deese. Glad you gottem in the boat without breaking your line.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Rough sawn thickness will depend on final machined paneling thickness that you want to end up with.

Whether tongue and groove, or just butting the edges, how it is fastened to the wall and hidden or exposed fasteners, how flat it is after drying, are a few things to think on as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

You might saw it 1/2", sticker to let dry, straight line edges, plane best face unless you want the sawn lumber look. I would paint the background black.  Makes it look better if you have cracks or knot holes.
If no backing, I would saw 13/16, dry, resaw edges to get straight lines and plane to 3/4 best face or leave rough.  You will get some side bend while drying on some boards.  Shouldn't have cup or warp if you sticker properly.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

fishpimp

Quote from: Cedarman on October 17, 2013, 12:49:08 PM
You might saw it 1/2", sticker to let dry, straight line edges, plane best face unless you want the sawn lumber look. I would paint the background black.  Makes it look better if you have cracks or knot holes.
If no backing, I would saw 13/16, dry, resaw edges to get straight lines and plane to 3/4 best face or leave rough.  You will get some side bend while drying on some boards.  Shouldn't have cup or warp if you sticker properly.
Yea!!!! What he said!!!
I hit the mother load of ERC myself . Pics coming soon too

Deese

Thanks fellas. I will keep y'all posted!
Cooks AE4P Edger

drobertson

If anyone knows, It would have to be cedarman, and he gave the exact info needed.  follow his advice and you will be very satisfied,  I've sawed ERC, as well as walnut for very similar applications, all of which the customer did exactly as cedarman described, these guys know what their doing.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

I cut down a very big ERC today at work. It has been dead for a year or two, and was standing next to a high fence...
I got it down with the help of a front-end loader. Nice and solid  ;D
I'm going to be a cedar sawin' fool this weekend :)

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 17, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Nice stuff.  ;D Are you sawing out the included bark or leaving it?

$60 is pretty close to free. ;D
I plan on salvaging as much out of these logs as possible. However, the lumber will be bark-free.
I haven't had many with much light-colored sapwood yet
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

That last log appears to be a real beauty.  Hopefully there will be no metal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2013, 08:51:59 PM

on a fence line , you bet there is  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Solomon

Quote from: Deese on October 17, 2013, 10:02:18 AM
I have been extremely busy lately, and haven't had time to visit the forum over the past few weeks.
However, I hit the ERC JACKPOT yesterday afternoon. There are 6 logs on that trailer. Only cost me $60 for the entire load. Not bad, huh?

I cut an 8' section from one of them last night and this is where I ended...

This is my second experience with ERC. The first was a few weeks ago...a customer brought a HUGE ERC log and it was ridiculously hard to saw...I went through 3 blades on that job.

This piece (the one I cut last night) was the easiest cant I have sawed thus far. I could just barely tell that I was sawing anything at all as the blade eased through the log...Interesting... ??? I'm guessing it's because these trees were recently cut, and my customer's log appeared to have been on the ground for a LONG time.

Anyways, I want to cut all of these logs for interior wall paneling for my house. How thick should I cut them for this purpose?  1/4" or 1/2" ?
I use a LOT of ERC.   It is plentiful here in eastern Virginia.
I've been doing Closet packages for a couple of years now.
I bought a set of T&G  V-Groove Router bits from Grizzly.   
They are for 5/8 to 3/4 matieral.
I mill my rough lumber 3/4 and plane it to just under 5/8 and it seems to work very well for me.
Ammana makes a set of bits that are adjustable for thinner matieral.
I am going to by a set.  They are about $150.00.
I also have a moulding maching and I mill some matieral 5/4 , plane it to 1 inch and run my crown moulding , door casing and in some cases chair rail from that.
The base board I simply cut with a Roman Ogee bit on the Router table.  Pete,  Chesapeake, Virginia
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

dboyt

You took that nasty ol' cedar and left that beautiful hackberry standing next to it???
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Deese

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 24, 2013, 10:15:48 PM
Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2013, 08:51:59 PM

on a fence line , you bet there is  :D :D

The high fence is about 10 yards from the old (original) fenceline. So, I doubt there will be any metal in it.
I will find out this weekend  8)
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

This is on my boss's property. I was allowed to cut the cedar only because it was dead and posed a threat to the fence. The 'ole hackberry is still growing strong...but I did get another dying pine today  ;D

Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

Quote from: dboyt on October 25, 2013, 01:02:17 PM
You took that nasty ol' cedar and left that beautiful hackberry standing next to it???

At least the cedar will not twist and warp and and walk right out of the sticker stack  :D.  I have to say, though, hackberry lumber is beautiful stuff (don't get the big head, Jake). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

My hackberries are very well behaved and fit in well in their community. ;D

Those canyon hackberries, on the other hand are a bunch of wild boys.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!