iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle mill dimensions

Started by stihlsawer, October 24, 2013, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihlsawer

I have a left handed circular sawmill. Is this log loading side longer to the blade than the log bearing side? Thanks in advance and have a blessed evening.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

stihlsawer

Left hand side of the blade is where the logs are loaded onto the carriage if this helps. Is this side the longer side than where the boards come off?

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Possum Creek

How long is the carriage? What length logs do you plan to saw? Most sawmills I have seen have the saw close to the middle but if I had to choose I would make the loading side the short side.                  PC

stihlsawer

10' carriage. It's a M14 Belsaw. The track is 40' long. I don't know why but I thought the log loading side was longer.

<          22'-6"                                             ><                               17'-6"                             >
                                                              saw blade

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Possum Creek

My M-14 is rt handed and so are all the others locally are you sure that it is a left handed mill? I am not trying to be smart with you I just have never heard of one like that.                                        PC

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stihlsawer

Thank you all for your replies. PC I thought the same you are thinking. I had never saw a M14 that was left handed either.
The owner I bought it from was the original owner and that's how he had it set up. I need to make sure he had it set up right.
He ran for it while, but hadn't used it in 15-20 years before I bought it. I will check the blade to see which side is flatter and try to determine if he had the blade  correct. The mill's track was partially taken apart over the years before I bought it, so I couldn't tell the original length.

beenthere, thank you for the pub and your help.

I guess I will have to figure out if the owner had it setup right.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

bandmiller2

Stihlguy, the fella you bought the mill from probably wanted to have a standard rotation engine on the backside of the mill. Belsaws are usally driven with a tractor PTO on the back side of the mill.There are complete plans to setup Belsaws on the internet I just can't remember where along with instructions manual,google it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

stihlsawer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 25, 2013, 06:41:22 AM
Stihlguy, the fella you bought the mill from probably wanted to have a standard rotation engine on the backside of the mill. Belsaws are usally driven with a tractor PTO on the back side of the mill.There are complete plans to setup Belsaws on the internet I just can't remember where along with instructions manual,google it. Frank C.

Frank, you are right he was powering it with a 7000 Ford, and having it setup left handed would give the proper rotation, but he had a tire mounted on a small mandrel that was connected to the PTO. The tire was against the mandrel pulley to change rotation. I have the manuals also, including a newer version from Timberking that just has the steel base they used later in M14 production.

Another silly question I guess is when the saw blade is turning properly, the teeth cut downward and not upward. Is this correct?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

apm

Trever, be very careful if running a Belsaw left handed that the threads on the mandrell nut have been changed. Running a standard mandrel the wrong direction will let the blade loosen while cutting. Could get interesting........

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

stihlsawer

Quote from: apm on October 25, 2013, 10:44:24 AM
Trever, be very careful if running a Belsaw left handed that the threads on the mandrell nut have been changed. Running a standard mandrel the wrong direction will let the blade loosen while cutting. Could get interesting........

Greg

Dang it! Boy that was good advise too! I am real glad you mentioned that. The blade (40" insert with style B) is at the sandblaster now for some light rust removal and may or may not be good. I will have it checked out by a blade doc before ordering teeth and shanks for it.
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

I will hold off on building the mandrel frame section until I know what I have for sure. I am thinking this may be a right hand mill that was setup wrong by the owner.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Ron Wenrich

Where is your setworks handle?  On those handmills, the setworks handle is always closest to the sawyer, no matter if left or right handed.  The setworks is on the front of the carriage.

If the mill was set up as a left handed mill, then the blade would have been hammered for it.  It won't answer your question.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stihlsawer

Ron as you are facing the carriage on the log loading side it is on the right side of carriage. Thank you.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like a lefty.  Left handed mills seem to be popular in Wisconsin.  I ran a left handed mill for years.  According to our saw doc, we were only 1 of 3 that he serviced. 

Possum Creek

A belsaw carriage could be set up either way but if the arbor has left handed threads I would set it up as a rt handed mill. In other words if you turn the arbor nut to the rt to loosen it, it was intended to be a right handed mill, the setworks should be on the other side of the carriage.  I do not intend to mislead you in any way and correct me if I am wrong. That is just my observation with my M-14 and the teeth always cut downward.     PC

loggah

The log loading side is the short side, the m-14 is designed to cut logs up to 14 feet in length,you can cut 16 ' if you remove the feed lever and put the log on the carriage with the butt toward the saw.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

stihlsawer

Quote from: loggah on October 25, 2013, 05:11:24 PM
The log loading side is the short side, the m-14 is designed to cut logs up to 14 feet in length,you can cut 16 ' if you remove the feed lever and put the log on the carriage with the butt toward the saw.

Thanks for your help. So in my diagram previously, I should reverse it to reflect a left hand mill; having 17'-6" on the left side and 22'-6" on the log bearing end.

I am still concerned about the left handed thread for the blade and the blade spinning CCW.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

beenthere

Quote from: stihlsawer on October 24, 2013, 10:06:02 PM
10' carriage. It's a M14 Belsaw. The track is 40' long. I don't know why but I thought the log loading side was longer.

X
        log deck                                  sawyer                                      Offbearer
Trever

Seems would be longer on the log deck end to allow room for the operator to stand and not be real close to the saw would make sense and correct for a left hand mill.  (added couple lines to diagram to show carriage track, saw blade, log deck, sawyer at X, and offbearer)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

stihlsawer

Thanks for your help. I think I will keep the longer end on my side of the saw. I am going to pick up my carriage and blade now.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 25, 2013, 04:07:53 PM
Sounds like a lefty.  Left handed mills seem to be popular in Wisconsin.  I ran a left handed mill for years.  According to our saw doc, we were only 1 of 3 that he serviced.

The lefty carriage is back from the sandblaster. Time for some IH red paint.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Thank You Sponsors!