iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short Lucas Slabbing Video

Started by logboy, October 25, 2013, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

Today while I was out on a job I decided to take a quick video of my Lucas slabber in action. Apologies for the poor film skills, I decided to shoot it on a whim, and I was on the clock. One of these days I'll set up my DSLR and shoot a proper video.  You know, in my free time.

I was slicing up a beautiful elm log.  I wish they smelled as good as they look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIVTvrA6lV0
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Nomad

That isn't a bad video.  Looks like you got a nice edge on that chain.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

I always love to see something different from my normal.  Thanks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I would be interested on a start to finish one,in your free time.  :D  I did notice the tools there.And the pounding of the wedges.Looks more than just push the chain through the log. Like what I am use to doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

That's great, J.R.  I had forgotten about your utility table add-on, pretty slick!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

sigidi

good onya mate  8)

Seems funny seeing the engine on that side of the log  ;D

But I don't do enough slabbing to justify a dedicated - maybe 10% of my business, but also I don't have room on the ute to take another carriage, so it would mean a trailer for the second carriage...and that'd mean no Bob  :o
Always willing to help - Allan

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GDinMaine

I think this if a much better video of you.  Kudos to you for that, but please buy some chaps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEImPpdPux0
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

logboy

I have and use chaps. But I wasn't going to put them on for a minute of demonstrating my chainsaw attachment.

beenthere

You are doing good. Real impressed with the rigging to use the chainsaw too. I'm going to have a whole new appreciation for bucking up wood tomorrow, I know that!  Thanks for posting that video.

Years ago wouldn't have given one thought to the need for chaps, but the more I wear them and occasionally nick them, I'm a believer now.
;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GDinMaine

Quote from: logboy on October 25, 2013, 10:18:34 PM
I have and use chaps. But I wasn't going to put them on for a minute of demonstrating my chainsaw attachment.

I hope I didn't come across pushy.  I'm just a play it safe kinda guy.  The point really was to say I'm impressed with your resolute approach to life.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Leigh Family Farm

One question: if you have one arm pushing the slabber, and one arm pounding in wedges, which arm is holding the camera?  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

logboy

I had a helper or two. There was a gentleman who brought his own log there to be slabbed, so he was hanging out helping for a bit.

Meadows Miller

Gday

J.R I like the dedicated slabber but do not have one  :'( I love the chainsaw attachment to Mate  smiley_thumbsup :) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Best Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Leigh Family Farm

Gotcha logboy. Helpers are always appreciated!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!