iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawyers around Fredericksburg, VA?

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, January 27, 2014, 02:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

For some reason the member map is not working for me so not able to look there.

Are there any forum members around the Fredericksburg, VA area?  While down here I would like to try and get some experience around a mill since I would like to own one of my own someday once back in NY.  Any guys out there looking for some labor/help on the weekends from a sawmill newbie?
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

jmouton

I am nowhere  near you,  but my  member map is not working either, just thought i'd  let you know you not alone

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

clww

If you are in The Old Dominion, why on earth would you wish to return to NY? :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I am originally from NY and that is where family is along with the land that I own.  I ended up down here for work.  While VA is a nice place it is just not for me.  Politics, Gun Laws, and Taxes to name a few are reason that I should not move back to NY but being this close to DC is just as bad.

I hear you though, A LOT of people are leaving NY and it is a struggle with very slow/stagnant economic growth.  Hell I have always done things backwards anyway so no need to change that now  :D

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

jdonovan

Home is Fauquier county, near Warrenton. I'm just getting setup, but should be running more logs this spring.

Only downside, is you'd be helping with a LT70.  :D The big machines spoil ya, and work you to death all at the same time.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

jdonovan - No downside at all!  Once you are setup and going I would be glad to come down on weekends when you are sawing and lend a hand if you are open to it.  I don't have any experience with a mill but I have no problem off bearing and shoveling sawdust to get the experience.

Other than you now, I was only able to find one other guy near Fredericksburg running a mill.  I found him on craigslist but I have not contacted him yet.  It looked like he was running a Lucas swing blade and the slabbing attachment.

Depending on how things work out it would be fun to work around that monster LT70 and a Lucas swinger  8)

Wallys World

I'm down near Lynchburg running a LT28 and single blade edger. It is about 2 1/2 hours from you. If you are interested let me know.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Wallys World

Just a side note, I moved down from the Binghamton, NY area almost 8 years ago. I came back down to family land, little over a 100 acres.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Wallys World - I would be up for a little drive to get out and get some experience.  When do you usually do your sawing?  It might be March before I can make it down to you so we can work out the details later

If I did not have the family and land up in NY I would look elsewhere but 90 acres keeps tugging me back.  What did you do while you were up in Binghamton?

reswire

Hello, Jason !!!

I'm just 30 minutes from Fredericksburg, and occasionally saw a few logs on a Timberking 1600.  If your are interested in coming by and looking around, or sawing mine/yours logs, just send me a private message, and I'll give you the directions to my farm.  I'm not sure if it's on the site map or not, I'm new to posting here, but I can say this is an excellent site, and a great place to meet fellow "sawnuts".  I've got a few pine logs, and a couple of oak logs laying around, but with the current weather situation,,,, it stinks as you well know,,,, I haven't done too much of late.  But send a message and we'll talk! 

see you soon, Reswire
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Wallys World

I saw when ever, I usally have logs around to work with. Let me know and we will set sometning up. I worked for 31 years in Binghamton at Johnson City Publishing. (the business has since been sold as of late last year). I was Maintenance Supervisor. i now work at Progress Printing here in Lynchburg  as a Maintenance Technician. Today is my last day of my rotation. I work 7 days, 12 hour shift and then get the 7 off hopefully!

shenandoahsawmill

Hi Jason;
I am in Berryville/Winchester, Va. and saw with a Povlsen double cut bandmill. I will be sawing some walnut and cherry over the next few weekends. Drop by if you want.  Gary

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Just wanted to publicly say thank you to Gary (Senandoahsawmill) for welcoming me at his place yesterday to show me around and pick his brain.  We only made a couple of cuts with is Povlsen double cut mill before the weather started to change and the precipitation started. 

I had a great visit with Gary and plan on visiting him more once the weather is better.  Thank you very much Gary, it was a pleasure.  I had a case of beverages in my trunk for you that I forgot to give you.....next time I will be sure to give you them first so I don't forget  ;)

I look forward to meeting the other local guys once the weather clears up!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

m wood

Well done Gary, for showing Jason around a mill, that must have been good for you both.  Jason, I look forward to swapping a walk around your woods for a walk with you around mine some day.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Mark, absolutely!  I look at this visit as the first stop on my sawmill tour.  One of the stops will be your Norwood  8)

Magic - I know, I broke the forum rules.  I forgot to take pictures but I will use that as my excuse to get up to Gary's place again  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!