iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Business is slow!

Started by reswire, December 18, 2014, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

For the past couple of weeks I can't seem to find any jobs to do.  Things were going pretty well up to Dec., now seems to have fallen off.  There are plenty of log trucks on the roads, and the weather has been good, but no calls to mill for folks.  Hoping it's just the Holidays slowing things down, but I sure could use the money... ::)
I was curious if things slow down for others during this time of year.  I 've had a couple of calls where customers wanted me to clear their lots, and mill the logs, but I really don't have the support equipment or manpower to do that.  Most loggers or even small landscape companies tell me there is no money in clearing small lots, and they weren't interested in the clearing part.  Oh well, hope January is better. ::)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hang in there. The part of my business that sells barn siding slows down from Thanksgiving to Jan. 1st. This is where I saw my own Pine and sell it.

I have logs coming in heavy from Thanksgiving to Jan.1st but they don't want custom sawing until after Jan 1st.
So I'm baby sitting logs for a month and a half.

However, during this slow time...is when I speed up  ;D I get a chance to saw my Oaks, Poplar and Cedar (if I have any) and sell to craftsman.

After Jan. 1st.....her comes a stack of cut lists. Where's Julio when I need him.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandsawmill14

reswire I don't know where your located but I try to buy some mixed wood logs after sap goes down and pile 'em. Then if I run out off work i can at least cut some r r ties and pallet cants. does not make a lot of money but does keep the lights on. I started doing that after almost starving to death one winter, no job for 9 WEEKS but you ll make it just hang in there
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Peter Drouin

Me too, I have a few jobs going, but, It has slowed some. I hope it stops for 5 or 6 weeks, So I can get caught up and put up my storage barn and a kiln and get all next years firewood all cut. I sent a logger to the wood lot to cut & pull for me.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I normally can quit sawing around mid-December but this year has been wide open.  I finished the "got to's" today and forced the rest into next year.  I got two calls yesterday.  Well two that I will saw and another that was in Shreveport, LA, which is 250 miles away.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2014, 07:44:33 PM
and another that was in Shreveport, LA, which is 250 miles away.   :o

Pack a lunch.....or 2.  ;D

WDH

Lumber sales have slowed for me just a bit, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 18, 2014, 08:18:32 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2014, 07:44:33 PM
and another that was in Shreveport, LA, which is 250 miles away.   :o

Pack a lunch.....or 2.  ;D

smiley_old_guy move_it  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

QuotePack a lunch.....or 2.  ;D
I did not say no, but I did tell him that I would charge mileage  move_it and would need a place to sleep at night.   smiley_sleeping
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Cant you sleep on a cant in the truck?  A man has to rough it sometimes  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have roughed it already.  Now these ole bones need the respect that they did not get in a previous life.

I'll take it easy tomorrow, take the lady out tomorrow night, and I can hear the Cabin calling me Saturday.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 18, 2014, 09:13:50 PM
Cant you sleep on a cant in the truck?  A man has to rough it sometimes  :D.

Theres a stall place to sleep for every Goat man. :)

r.man

You might need a meal allowance too MM.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LeeB

Come on MM, your mill has 7 bunks on it. Surely you can find one of them to sleep on.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Well, he does have a chair and an umbrella on the mill, What more do you want.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

FarmingSawyer

Things have slowed to a dead stop here. Haven't done a mobile job since just before Thanksgiving, although I've had to inquiries about large jobs. I think people are waiting for the ground to freeze. There is supposed to be some cherry and pine coming my way to saw, but again, mushy ground is preventing them from getting out.

I've had one inquiry about cedar lumber for deck chairs, but no follow up yet, and 6 people were hot to get a "limited" supply--ha, just here....there's more in the woods--of cedar fence posts, but no one showed up, even the person who said they'd be right over......

I've got ads in the papers, and I'm in the process of designing a sign to go on the barn to let the 100s of people who drive by know why there's logs and slabs outside the door..... So many people have hobby mills around here, it's a common sight. Yet, no one I've spoken with can get their logs cut of buy a small dab of this n that lumber.

I sure hope it picks up after Jan 1. I've got 100s of cedar logs to bring out of the woods on a limited time frame and I need some work to be able to afford to get them here.
I've even been looking for side jobs and pick up work, but $10/ hr for bringing my own tools and requiring the experience i usually charge $35 for? Don't think so.....I'll keep beating the bushes with a tightened belt until I flush out some milling work.

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

pineywoods

You folks looking out for Magicman missed something. He said he's going to the CABIN. His little cabin is something most of us can only dream about, a little piece of heaven. Enjoy the peace and quiet for a few days Lynn, you deserve it.  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on December 19, 2014, 09:16:04 AM
Things have slowed to a dead stop here. Haven't done a mobile job since just before Thanksgiving, although I've had to inquiries about large jobs. I think people are waiting for the ground to freeze. There is supposed to be some cherry and pine coming my way to saw, but again, mushy ground is preventing them from getting out.

I've had one inquiry about cedar lumber for deck chairs, but no follow up yet, and 6 people were hot to get a "limited" supply--ha, just here....there's more in the woods--of cedar fence posts, but no one showed up, even the person who said they'd be right over......

I've got ads in the papers, and I'm in the process of designing a sign to go on the barn to let the 100s of people who drive by know why there's logs and slabs outside the door..... So many people have hobby mills around here, it's a common sight. Yet, no one I've spoken with can get their logs cut of buy a small dab of this n that lumber.

I sure hope it picks up after Jan 1. I've got 100s of cedar logs to bring out of the woods on a limited time frame and I need some work to be able to afford to get them here.
I've even been looking for side jobs and pick up work, but $10/ hr for bringing my own tools and requiring the experience i usually charge $35 for? Don't think so.....I'll keep beating the bushes with a tightened belt until I flush out some milling work.

How big is the cedar?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Delawhere Jack

Mobile milling tends to slow down for me from after Thanksgiving until after New Years day. Had a small job scheduled for tomorrow, but the client called Tues. to postpone until spring saying he's very busy with work. Unless something else comes up, that means only one job for all of Dec.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 19, 2014, 12:56:50 PM
How big is the cedar?

They're averaging around 12" DBH. I cut a 24" the other day. I've been bucking the nicer ones at 16'6" sometimes with an 8 or 10' off the butt and stopping at 8" min at the top before I begin cutting fence posts. The other day I was in to a few sticks which were so nice I bucked them at 25' so I could have some options. The spruce is all straight, small knot and 12" max DBH.

Peter Drouin

How much a BF for cedar?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

red cedar .25 bdft sawing their logs  .75 bdft for my lumber doesnt matter if its 4/4 up to 8x10 . I have around 4500 ft in logs im gonna try to saw this winter as well as 2 loads of oak logs(28 ton haven't scaled them yet) if i can get caught up.
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 19, 2014, 08:47:09 PM
How much a BF for cedar?

I'm still trying to figure the price. A couple of places around here seem to sell it more for the common stuff and less for the bigger odd pieces....which doesn't quite seem right. I still have to find out what logs are selling for but right now I'm thinking $1.00/bf if the customer comes and picks up an order off the mill and all I have to do is dry stack it. $1.25/bf for stickered & dried. $1.50/bf for sorted, clears and custom pieces. Wide stuff might be a premium as well. Planing is a whole other issue....I'd have to send it out.

Peter Drouin

I meant in a log at the landing
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!